Old 10-05-2007, 05:54 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Nice going - Bilsteins are about $ 90.00 a piece, minimum. New brakes is good, too.

I know Bilsteins are costly I have them on my Saab.

Probably the main manifold hose in the engine compartment.
One thought is to have the system converted to R134 refrigerant, if it hasn't already been done. R134 is less expensive, and will work fine in the GM system. All is needed is a flush and the correct lubricant in the refrigerant. And the new style charge/suction fittings.

. Yes the hose alone is $180.00 Plus labor to install and the freon. I thought all autos after 1996 had R134.

Get used to it. This series of Suburbans rides pretty much like crap. If you have the rear sway bar, then the cornering is actually pretty amazing, but the ride is very bumpy and much rougher than you might think is necessary. Once your Sovereign is following you around, it'll be just right, though.
Well maybe I need some time to get used to that. "Not a Saab"

Old 10-05-2007, 06:36 PM   #44
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Better & Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabLover
I just talked to the mechanic and he tells me the brakes are new and the shocks are about one year old Bilsteins. I almost fell over. But the AC wasn't blowing cold so I asked him to ck it and he found a hose with a hole in it. No Freon in system, should be about $575.00 parts and labor with the Freon charged up. I like this mechanic he is very honest. He will not do work just because you think it needs to be done. He checks it out first and many times he'll tell me that I need nothing done at all. It will be ready on Sat. to pick up.
I think the tires may need the air pressure checked because it is bouncy.
Just seems to be getting better and better don't it??

Great shocks, E load tires, good brakes, looks sooper, and ya don't need AC

to tow!

It has a R134 system. The price sounds about right if it is the compressor

manifold pipe. I work at a Chev store,so let me know what the parts cost is,

and what part failed, if you want a second opinion>

I just had to replace the condenser in my 95, went with a made in Canada

replacement, $120 against $375 my cost for a GM. That manifold pipe may

not be available aftermarket. If it is, be very careful of Cheap imports.

Sounds like youv'e got a good "wrench" do'n the work, so proceed full speed

ahead.....Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:58 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
That is one pretty Suburban. I like the sounds of your mechanic. There are lots of folks like that out in the world today but they are hard to find.

Now and then someone finds an extremely good deal and when you hear about them you wonder why they don't come your way. Then, just when you really needed it, voilà, one falls in your lap. Congratulations.

My buddy just dropped into a '95, similar condition, about the same miles, and he's known the burb since new and ridden in it many times. The owner just wanted a new one and so this one went down the block to our friends place. He's in love with it and according to his wife she thought he was going to sleep in it the first night because he kept going out to look at it not quite believing it was his. He paid about what you did and it's 3 years older than yours so you got a great deal, and he paid a bit high.

Next up, pictures of your burb and trailer in some scenic area.

Barry
Old 10-11-2007, 06:54 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Well I thought I would give you all an update on my suburban situation. A week ago it tomorrow I dropped off the Burb at the mechanics to be thoroughly checked out. He informed me that the vehicle was in very good condition. The brakes were new and the shocks were a year old Bilsteins. Then he got to working on the air conditioning and found a hole in the main manifold hose. This is when the waiting game began, they kept sending him the wrong house. It sat there are half a day Friday all day Saturday and half a day Monday. After all that time I finally just had to drive over it is to see what was going on. He showed me the two boxes that were still at the garage pulled out the hoses quite obvious they were not the right ones. So then he informs me that he's exhausted all his sources that I should take it to the dealer and have them just match it out of stock. Well I really wasn't looking forward to that as I don't like to pay dealership labor rates. Most of the mechanics there are parts changers. I asked my mechanic what I owed him as I know he had taken the hose out by removing the front grill and I know we had some time into it. He tells me don't worry about it and he’ll catch you next time. I drive the Burb back home and hop right onto the computer. First I check out eBay and low and behold they have four listings one of which matches exactly with a picture. I checked it with the picture I had taken of the engine box sure enough exact match. When I was at the garage I noticed the bill from the parts house on that hose it was $175. his cost. The one I find on eBay is $99 OEM Eureka! The mechanic also told me I needed a new accumulator for the system as it had been open too long. The eBay site has an 800 number I called it and sure enough they have the item. I ordered both to the tune of $132 plus $8.50 shipping and they should be here on Monday.
Now back to the bounciness of this Suburban. After driving it for a short time I noticed that the vehicle was a little bouncy and actually hit the bumps a little hard. Harder than I thought it should. So after reading some of what you people had mentioned about tire pressure. I purchased a higher PSI tire gauge and check fronts and backs all around. Come to find out whoever put the tires on had the pressure reversed. The front tires had 70 pounds in them so I lower it to 50 and the rear tires had 45 pounds each in them so I raise up to 70 pounds. What a difference, a really remarkable difference.

So now I've been driving it for over a week and really getting the hang of it. As I mentioned in a previous post I used to drive a truck when I was younger. It was a 14 foot box truck. All of the old experiences have come back as far as breaking far ahead of time, not following too closely of course and all those other big truck issues really did help out.
So now all in all I am very pleased with how the truck rides and handles. I guess it's just a wait-and-see when those hoses and other parts come in what happens next. By the way my mechanic agreed to install them.

On another note I got the seven pin plug all cleaned up and plugged it into the Airstream. I had some contact cleaner that I sprayed in there and wire brushed the thing until all the junk fell out. Plugged it in and voilà all the lights worked, turn signals, brake lights, running lights, all are functional. Except I can't quite get the reverse lights to work properly one of them is on with the running lights and the other one doesn't work at all. Also the license tag light is not working at all. So that's my next project, I don't think it'll be too bad.

I am beginning to love this vehicle except for the high gas bills of course. I filled it once $120.00 "ouch". But then it ain't no Saab.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:34 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
"But then it ain't no Saab"

sure it is, it's a saaburban ;-)

p.s. recheck the tire pressures after they get rotated.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:34 PM   #48
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Keep in mind, too, that there is no reason to run the tire pressure that high when you're not fully loaded or towing. Try 40 in the front and 50 in the rear, it will tame the beast a little more. It will always be bouncy, though...until the trailer is on it's hitch. Then, usually things smooth out with enough tongue weight.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:39 PM   #49
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up WNY 7 Pin Tip

Quote:

On another note I got the seven pin plug all cleaned up and plugged it into the Airstream. I had some contact cleaner that I sprayed in there and wire brushed the thing until all the junk fell out. Plugged it in and voilà all the lights worked, turn signals, brake lights, running lights, all are functional. Except I can't quite get the reverse lights to work properly one of them is on with the running lights and the other one doesn't work at all. Also the license tag light is not working at all. So that's my next project, I don't think it'll be too bad.

I am beginning to love this vehicle except for the high gas bills of course. I filled it once $120.00 "ouch". But then it ain't no Saab.
Ah yes, the notorious NY 7 pin dilemma. Dealt with that bugger

every Spring for many a year. Here's a WNY tip....Take that bad boy off

in the Fall, grease it up real good, stick in a zip-lock bag seal it tight, and tie

wrap it up behind the bumper as far away from the road salt as you can

get.....works good here in Bflo.

I had a feeling that you might have some trouble finding that AC part in

the aftermarket.........hope the e-bay parts work out for ya!!!

License lamp cheap replace...simple plastic snap in, get yourself some

Permatex dielectric grease and coat the bulb contacts, helps prevent the

corrosion. While your at it might as well remove all the exterior AS bulbs and

coat them also, a lot easier to change them later. Fill the male and female

tv connector also......GOOD LUCK AND KEEP POST'N.......Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 10-11-2007, 09:05 PM   #50
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS

in the Fall, grease it up real good, stick in a zip-lock bag seal it tight, and tie

Good idea. Another way is to get rid of the 7-flat, and get a 7-round for truck and trailer cord.
The 7-round is far superior in making contact, widely used by big rig trucks, and approved by DOt for HD use.
Airsteam used these 7-pin round connectors in the 70's and early 80's.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:08 AM   #51
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS

Robert,
That all sounds like a great winterizing idea.

I just finished getting the rest of the lights to work that were not working. The back up lights had a burned out bulb which when replaced fixed the other problem. The License lamp was just a loose wire inside the door of the access panel and a bad bulb. I also picked up some grease for the bulbs.

I am thinking of putting a second battery in that additional battery extra tray of the Suburban. Where can I find a wiring diagram for that? And does this thing have an isolator on it or do I have to put one in?

Today I am picking up a manual for the Suburban as it did not come with one. I got it on eBay for $6.66. The guy is only 25 miles from me which gives me another excuse to drive the Burb. I am going to lower the tire pressure down some more as uwe advised. I think that would make it ride even better.

Next the brake controller. P3
Old 10-12-2007, 03:56 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Does anyone know how to tell without taking the vehicle to the stealership. Whether or not my suburban has a keyless entry or not? I didn't get any remotes with the vehicle and the previous owner didn't have a clue. There must be some way to tell whether or not it is on the vehicle without having a remote check. I have seen these keyless remotes for sale on eBay and someone on this blog also gave instructions on how to program them without having an old remote. Any help would be appreciated in this unfortunate situation.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:29 PM   #53
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Keyless Entry

Quote:
Does anyone know how to tell without taking the vehicle to the stealership. Whether or not my suburban has a keyless entry or not? I didn't get any remotes with the vehicle and the previous owner didn't have a clue. There must be some way to tell whether or not it is on the vehicle without having a remote check. I have seen these keyless remotes for sale on eBay and someone on this blog also gave instructions on how to program them without having an old remote. Any help would be appreciated in this unfortunate situation.
If you want to PM me the complete VIN I can do a VISS check on

Dealerworld to get a build sheet to ck how your Burb is optioned, could also

get a warranty history if ya want..........Bob

ps i'm off til monday if yer not in a big hurry

RLC

RLC
Old 10-17-2007, 07:21 AM   #54
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
So I've finally put a period on the end of the sentence just thought I'd let you know how this all turned out in the end. I got the Suburban back from the mechanic yesterday he finally finished all the work to the air conditioner. My eBay parts worked out really great he was able to use each one. ( air conditioning main manifold hose and the accumulator dryer) As it turned out is also needed a new condenser he supplied that and charged me $150. So all said and done with his work parts and labor including the parts I supplied the bottom line to repair the AC was $660.00. That brings the final cost of my Suburban up to $5860.00. I still think I did really good. The vehicle runs like a top and my mechanic gives it his highest marks of approval he keeps telling me this thing is in excellent shape, really excellent shape. As we all know when buying a used vehicle or an Airstream there is always going to be something. No one gets off scot free.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:50 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
That's great news SaabLover. It is always a pleasure to know someone has gotten a fair deal for the money spent. Now you need to put that baby to it's intended purpose and get out and camp the heck out of your Airstream.

Enjoy, and glad it's all worked out for you. And thanks heavens you didn't buy the black one.........

Barry
Old 10-17-2007, 01:33 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Moncton , New Brunswick
Congrats on the Suburban. I looked for a while for a tow vehicle and ended up buying a 1995 1500 5.7L 4WD; basically was on a limited budget and picked it up for what was a reasonable price up here in Canada. Air conditioning is not working; I will get it checked out but am hesistant to put too much into it. It is a 1/2 ton and I know that a 3/4 is recommended. My trailer is still undergoing a major rebuild (currently frame repair and then front and back floor section replacement) so I haven't even tried pulling it yet - still probably a year away.

One thing that puzzles me is that the owners manual for the 1978 Sovereign shows a Ford Galaxie 500 (?) car I think pulling the trailer. Now it seems the general opinion is that even a Suburban 4wd 1/2 ton is too small. What happened?

On a final note, does anyone know how to reprogram/ trouble shoot the remote on a 1995. It came with on but it doesn't seem to work.

John