Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2007, 05:36 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Great looking vehicle and good decision. All those little dents and dings on the black one point to an owner that is a little less than careful with his expensive equipment. AC if you start digging can head North of 2 grand if it is not functional. Besides, with patience the good ones are out there and you found one. White is the way to go, even a fully functioning ac in the desert will have trouble keeping a black vehicle ice cold.

Enjoy that bad boy, it will look great pulling your AS.
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:42 PM   #22
LJH
Rivet Master

1985 27' Sovereign
Defiance , Ohio
Welcome to the Burb Nation, SaabL. We baught ours, a 99, 5.7, 4whd, black with tan leather, and full tow pacage, about 3 years ago. It had 50k miles, had never towed anything, and looked like new. ( $15k ) My only complaint is like all GM trucks the brakes could be better. The more you drive it, the more you will Love it. Hey, what's wrong with black? Just remember, "Wax on, wax off." LJH 6196
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:07 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJH
Welcome to the Burb Nation, SaabL. We baught ours, a 99, 5.7, 4whd, black with tan leather, and full tow pacage, about 3 years ago. It had 50k miles, had never towed anything, and looked like new. ( $15k ) My only complaint is like all GM trucks the brakes could be better. The more you drive it, the more you will Love it. Hey, what's wrong with black? Just remember, "Wax on, wax off." LJH 6196
Now I was wondering why no one had jumped on me for dising the black Surburban. Please let me explain. Personally I think that black is in fact the most beautiful paint anyone can have on a vehical. I am a person that doesn't want to have to spend the time that it takes to up keep it properly. Most people really do not keep them polished enough. I couldn't do a Black car justise and I knew that. So when the white Burb presented itself I was releaved. I am also most likely going to be spending alot of time down in Florida. The heat down there is not kind to those in black cars.

So to all you "Black Burb Owners" I solute you as are a better men than I.
SaabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:13 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Inyokern , California
Although I'm a Ford TV guy, I just want to congratulate you on making a great buy. And regarding the 4WD--while it adds 800-900 pounds to the vehicle weight, and that will cost you some gas, the first time you have to back your rig into an offcamber jacknife uphill loose dirt campsite and you switch on the 4WD, it will be worth it. Many a transmission in 2WD TVs has come home with Reverse cooked.
larreat9905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:40 PM   #25

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99
What position is the key in while you do this?
The key does not even need to be in the ignition to access the engine run hours function. Push the manual trip odometer reset knob and the mileage will appear. Keep holding the button and do not release it. In about 10 seconds the engine hours figure will appear on the digital read-out.

This is a neat feature when looking at used vehicles because you can get this info without the owner or salesman being any the wiser. Almost no owners know that this function even exists. The vast majority of the salesmen don't have a clue, either.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:22 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Cool thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
The key does not even need to be in the ignition to access the engine run hours function. Push the manual trip odometer reset knob and the mileage will appear. Keep holding the button and do not release it. In about 10 seconds the engine hours figure will appear on the digital read-out.

This is a neat feature when looking at used vehicles because you can get this info without the owner or salesman being any the wiser. Almost no owners know that this function even exists. The vast majority of the salesmen don't have a clue, either.
Cool thanks! We're away from home in the MH at the moment but I'll check our Yukon XL when we get home.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:07 AM   #27
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Lucky Dog

That was a close one
I think you came out much better...
But, you should feel guilty, poor guy with the white one, you should go back and give him some more money...thats just too good of a steal...I meen deal.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:50 AM   #28
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabLover
. . So to all you "Black Burb Owners" I salute you as are a better men than I.
I thought that Black Suburbans could only be owned by the Secret Service, LAPD-SWAT, or CTU.

When they go out of warranty, they give them to Jack Bauer. He crashes them into walls and walks away without a scratch. I saw him do it. I was watching from an overpass 1/4 mile away, and it broke one of my kneecaps.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:00 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu
That was a close one
I think you came out much better...
But, you should feel guilty, poor guy with the white one, you should go back and give him some more money...thats just too good of a steal...I meen deal.
To be truthful I never would have guessed that I could've gotten a Suburban of this magnitude for that amount of money. When I started looking on eBay, Craig's list, auto trader and of course the local papers. I looked at hundreds of vehicles over the past few months following them daily on eBay checking all the other venues periodically. The prices seemed much higher for lesser vehicles. The black one I looked at I would have been just settling for what I can get. The vehicle is basically sound although it did need all those other repairs mostly superficial things you could do without except for the windshield oh and the tires($1000.00 minimum). Then I saw the white one what a world of difference, same year all in all pretty much the same vehicle, except the condition was markedly much much better. I certainly feel extremely blessed to have found such a vehicle. Now I am one happy airstreamer. I can't wait to be on the road checking my rear views for that flash of silver following me, like an obedient puppy dog. You guys were right the right one will present itself if you give it a chance.

By the way I still have 3 weeks left on the use of my Carfax account for anyone that might need it. Please PM me your Vin # and I'll run it for you.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:07 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
I just got a 1999 1/2 ton 2wd Suburban 5.7 80000 miles for 7500.00 seems to be in great shape the 1/2 ton chevy p/u I had just dont have enough horses for my a/s mine has duel a/c and cargo doors am going to install duel exaust and a brake controller next week oyea and my Air Fourms sticker...SAM

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:10 PM   #31
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Another Burber Joins The Club

Let's get those photo's posted.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:01 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS

Let's get those photo's posted.
Yiiiiipeee!!!! I get to pick it up one day ealier then I thought as my checks cleared out faster. So Tuesday is the big day. I will bring the digi with me.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:29 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Okay so Tuesday I am set to go out to pick up my new to me Suburban. I had decided to take the Long Island Rail Road and have the seller pick me up at the nearest station. My appointment with him was for 12:30 in East Islip. Well I now have it back home and of course some issues have surfaced I believe it needs shocks. I will take it to the mechanic today for a look see. This certainly isn't my Saab what a bear. I still love it. Looks great whata you think?

Oh and what octane gas is best for this thing? Also what brand of type and brand of shocks would be best?

Old 10-05-2007, 06:51 AM   #34
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Nice truck!
Shocks: Edelbrock or Bilstein. They cost about the same.
If you opt for Bilstein, try and get their Comfort series shocks. Their HD versions are very stiff, contributing to freeway hop and porpoising of your trailer tongue/hitch over expansion joint riddled concrete freeways. ( if you have them in your area) Edelbrock makes a series of shocks that have a split personality, comfortable when empty, and over short bumps, and then stiffer for prolonged driving on bad roads or when loaded heavily.
Gas: Regular should be fine. If it's pinging when you area towing, then you should get premium for the trip's duration. You will love the 42gal tank for towing - might get you 400mls+ before fillups. I could go close to 500mls with my 5.7 before hitting the pumps.
Your lower bumper valance is missing. There is a rubber lip under the bumper that hides all the ugliness down there.
Also, keep in mind, your tires are LT rated, which is limiting in air pressure and load capacity. You will be fine towing with them, but can't put more than 45lbs or so in them. Check the sidewalls for specs.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:54 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
it looks like a keeper! i like the dual terminal battery. it makes it real easy for boosting or adding wiring at the battery.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:58 AM   #36
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny
it looks like a keeper! i like the dual terminal battery. it makes it real easy for boosting or adding wiring at the battery.
Oh, yes, and there is an extra battery tray on the driver side, with room for an additional group 24 maybe a 27. This gives you reserves for the trailer, if you use a battery isolator and switch over to the 12V on the trailer plug.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:19 AM   #37
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Drive it like you stole it!

It'll put up with anything you can!
Mine is silver where yours is gold.
Good shocks make a difference as well as load range "E" tires.
I've got an extended hitch that allows me to open the doors when hooked up, I've not had any towing handling problems with this set up.
Last summer it cost me $128 to fill up- love that 42 gal tank.
There are a few places that collect water, lower front fenders, aft side window seals, minor stuff,
I'm surprised to not see any rust. was it garaged in the winter? or have they stopped using salt on the roads back there?
And it appears that price wise you did steal it.
Enjoy the ride.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:37 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
The Suburban looks great. Congratulations on the purchase. We have a 98 2500 it is an emplyee purchase and we ordered it 10 years ago now. It has been a good TV but not without problems.
I didn't read it here but, the brakes are the biggest of them. I would take it the dealership and ask them to run the VIN through their system and find out what TSBs were perfomed on it. There are a few. The brakes on ours pulled to the right when we got it. The TSB called for grinding the caliber ends, replacing the brake proportion valve, replacing rear shoes. The most important thing I found in mine is to ajust the rear brakes manually. The auto ajusters simply do not work. Also the two bolts holding in the calibers in the front should be removed and lubricated so they won't bind. This is where you experience pulling to one side or the other. I have Bilestine shocks on ours. The tires are LT 245 75 16 but yours look bigger. They are 80 inch pounds max. The door sticker on the drivers side will indicate 45lbs in the friont and 80 in the back when towing a heavy load. I use 50 in the front and 70lbs in the back and it seems to work for me.
In the last couple of years I have had to replace a few components but have found it is still cheaper to fix than to buy. I have 3 kids in college and can't afford to replace it. The new Suburbans don't come with a big block option so there is no reason to replace it. I too am waiting for a diesel version like someone mentioned earlier, several years down. My kids will hopfully by then graduate.
Good luck with yours, looks great.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:39 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1
The Suburban looks great. Congratulations on the purchase. We have a 98 2500 it is an emplyee purchase and we ordered it 10 years ago now. It has been a good TV but not without problems.
I didn't read it here but, the brakes are the biggest of them. I would take it the dealership and ask them to run the VIN through their system and find out what TSBs were perfomed on it. There are a few. The brakes on ours pulled to the right when we got it. The TSB called for grinding the caliber ends, replacing the brake proportion valve, replacing rear shoes. The most important thing I found in mine is to ajust the rear brakes manually. The auto ajusters simply do not work. Also the two bolts holding in the calibers in the front should be removed and lubricated so they won't bind. This is where you experience pulling to one side or the other. I have Bilestine shocks on ours. The tires are LT 245 75 16 but yours look bigger. They are 80 inch pounds max. The door sticker on the drivers side will indicate 45lbs in the friont and 80 in the back when towing a heavy load. I use 50 in the front and 70lbs in the back and it seems to work for me.
In the last couple of years I have had to replace a few components but have found it is still cheaper to fix than to buy. I have 3 kids in college and can't afford to replace it. The new Suburbans don't come with a big block option so there is no reason to replace it. I too am waiting for a diesel version like someone mentioned earlier, several years down. My kids will hopfully by then graduate.
Good luck with yours, looks great.
The tires are brand new by the previous owner. They are 265/16/75s. Yes a little larger than I would have wanted. But they are Firestone Transforce HT E load range that I found out would have set me be back around $800.00 for the set out the door. Thanks for the tip on the air pressure. I need to buy a higher range air gage.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:29 PM   #40
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Sooooper Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabLover
Looks great whata you think?

Oh and what octane gas is best for this thing? Also what brand of type and brand of shocks would be best?

I think ya got a GREAT truck!!!!!!

The Edelbrock IAS have been my choice since about 12k!!

Edelbrock Performer IAS Series Shocks

A great shock with variable damping, only had one leaker after 80k.

(made in the USA)

Now on my second set with 160k+ on the truck. The Bilstein would my only

other choice.

I use 87 octane, for all normal driving, and 89 when the Jet 6-Pac is

programed for towing.

Youv'e got a great TV enjoy it

ps. next time you post pics you have to downsize first. I'm no expert, but I

select my photos and then e-mail them to myself, it asks if you want to

make them smaller, click yes. Copy them to a folder and select them from

there............Good luck and enjoy that "NEW" BURB!........Bob

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version