Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2018, 07:36 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Time for a new Tow Vehicle

The time has come to replace the 2002 Duramax. I have been reviewing several options the last few weeks, as well as reading thoughts/ideas of the forum members. The trailer is a 1994 34', with the factory GVWR of 8900 lb. I have not weighed the trailer with a full load, but I suspect it weighs all of that. With the advice of Inland RV, I replaced the axles with new 4000 lb, after breaking an axle 2 years ago. I am guessing fully loaded, my trailer weighs close to 10,000 lb.

Option of a diesel pickup, 3/4 ton, which gives more than ample towing capacity. This was my first thoughts, to replace a diesel with a diesel. After reading on the forums of the owners of the 1500 GMC with the 6.2L engine , I did some research. Maximum GVWR of this truck is 7600 lb. and the maximum GCVWR is 15,000 lb. If my trailer does in fact weigh 8900 lb fully loaded and the truck has 7600 lb maximum GVWR, then I will be 1500 lb. over the maximum weight rating. Now two questions arise. First, if there is a warranty claim on the truck, is the manufacturer going to refuse, because of an overload situation? This truck will be used to pull trailer 95% of the miles. Am I going to be working the truck to the max, with no reserve capacity?
The second major question is the one of liability. IF, and we all hope that it never happens, there is an accident, and it is found that my truck/trailer combination is over the manufacturers rated capacity, will insurance be voided. This is a major consideration as I will be towing "out of country and province" most of the time. In our "sue them" society will I be at the mercy of courts and lawyers?
I also looked at a car (Chrysler 300) as a tow vehicle, but seeing the maximum tow capacity of 1001 lb. it was eliminated. I fail to see how it could be raised to even tow the smallest Airstream within manufacturers specifications. I know this is going to create a broad response of ideas and thoughts, and I appreciate them all. It seems that there are so many options and variables out there, it is difficult to find the perfect tow vehicle. I plan this to be my last tow vehicle, and I want to get it right the first time. Thank you!
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Not sure where you got your numbers, but a 6.2L, 1500 maxtow has a GCWR of 17,700# with 4 wd and 18,200# with 2wd.

https://www.gmfleet.com/content/dam/...wing-guide.pdf

See page 9.
This is a 2017 guide, but numbers are same until the all new 2019 comes out. I expect all the towing and payload numbers to increase by a couple hundred pounds, but specs haven't been released yet.

15000# is spec for a 5.3L, non-maxtow.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:35 PM   #3
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
My opinion for what it is worth ....

Warranty - (And I used to work the service department of a new car dealership, BEFORE there was electronic engine controls that maintain a history of engine/transmission events)

If you pulled in for warranty work with the trailer connected and the repair was related to a power train failure ........ (internal transmission, engine and/or drive axle) there would be questions ask. If it was determined the load you are towing was greater than the design of the tow vehicle, those types of warranty repairs may be turned down.

The same may apply if the event history in the engine controls indicated the system was being overloaded.

Some of the above warranty repairs was at the discression of the service writer and/or service manager.

INSURANCE -
If you were involved in a single or multi-vehicle event, likely your claim would be paid by your company to a limit and continued coverage would be cancelled. If there was bodily injury to other parties and the other party suspected negligence (over loaded set up would be negligence) and an aggressive liability attorney would be looking for anything even if there was no negligence .... a law suit would be threatened for the limits of all insurance polices possible. Including and not limited to vehicle insurance, home owner's insurance or any other type. AND you would be best served to seek legal representation.

I network with a group of business professionals. One is a personal injury attorney. He always has stories about claims. Nearly 90% of his cases settle and usually with multiple insurance companies opening their check accounts. Most of the time the person that has the deepest pockets pays. Some times it scares me.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-26-2018, 08:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
I got the weight ratings from the GM Canada site. Have not seen this spec sheet before, but is very interesting and I do see that the figures presented would work. It does show the max trailer weight with a crew cab 4x4 as 11,700 lb. Trailer will have to be weighed with a full load to determine how close the numbers are to maximum. It would be nice to go with the 1500 series, as the cost is significantly less than the diesel 2500 series. Thank you for this information dznf0g.
ACI #7394
1994 Excella 34'
Hensley Hitch
Old 02-26-2018, 08:41 PM   #5
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
As a post script, your judgement would come into question if there was an event called an accident.

You are not towing a pop up trailer and this isn't your first rodeo. Towing 5 US tons of RV and doing so in a manner inconsistent to the manufacturers guidelines means you may be exposed more than the average guy on vacation. There is a retail store out there that competes with Walmart. They have a logo that I would never want to wear.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-26-2018, 09:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
He's well within specs with a 1500, 6.2l maxtow. No worries. I have a 2015 and a 30' classic. Under on all specs, except payload IF ALL my toys are loaded, which is very rare. AS weighs 9500#, fully camp ready.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 02-27-2018, 09:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
New 6.6 Duramax/Allison?
Why do you want your trailer to fit within GVWR of the pickup?
The trailer needs to fit within the GCVWR which would be more like 17,000# and towing capacity (10,000#?) - possibly still borderline?
Been towing a 30' with a Tundra for years.
It works well.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:18 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
mcdonough , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
New 6.6 Duramax/Allison?
Why do you want your trailer to fit within GVWR of the pickup?
The trailer needs to fit within the GCVWR which would be more like 17,000# and towing capacity (10,000#?) - possibly still borderline?
Been towing a 30' with a Tundra for years.
It works well.

It also needs to fit within the GVWR of the truck. And for the most part the Tundra is not there. That’s why I got rid of mine [emoji30]
ksteve06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:21 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBWELL View Post
The time has come to replace the 2002 Duramax.
We are replacing our 2003 GMC 2500HD diesel with 200k miles.
Visited many dealers, and considered Ford, GMC, Chevy, Chrysler, Toyota, Nissan, Infiniti, Mercedes with all packages (e.g., King Ranch, Platinum, Denali, Laramie Longhorn, Limited, XD, etc) . Best choice for us is Ford F250 Lariat, gasoline, 2WD, white platinum and camel, premium leather interior, ultimate Lariat package, ALL safety features, ALL towing features, etc. Multiple dealers searched nationwide, and there is no match.

Can send you the build and order form. MSRP $60050. Going to dealer today to finalize order.

Are you aware of the two lawsuits on diesel emission falsification?
One Ford, one GMC/Chevy. The suits present evidence that US companies
have also pulled a VW. Will see how these lawsuits go, but we are not
investing in any more diesels.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-f...-idUSKBN1EZ292
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/25/b...s-lawsuit.html

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
We are replacing our 2003 GMC 2500HD diesel with 200k miles.
Visited many dealers, and considered Ford, GMC, Chevy, Chrysler, Toyota, Nissan, Infiniti, Mercedes with all packages (e.g., King Ranch, Platinum, Denali, Laramie Longhorn, Limited, XD, etc) . Best choice for us is Ford F250 Lariat, gasoline, 2WD, white platinum and camel, premium leather interior, ultimate Lariat package, ALL safety features, ALL towing features, etc. Multiple dealers searched nationwide, and there is no match.

Can send you the build and order form. MSRP $60050. Going to dealer today to finalize order.

Are you aware of the two lawsuits on diesel emission falsification?
One Ford, one GMC/Chevy. The suits present evidence that US companies
have also pulled a VW. Will see how these lawsuits go, but we are not
investing in any more diesels.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-f...-idUSKBN1EZ292
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/25/b...s-lawsuit.html

73/gus
The EPA has leveled no accusations against Ford nor GM. Note this is a law suit brought forth by the same Law office who is naming everyone who produces a diesel and hoping for deep pocket fallout. A large fishing expedition.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:02 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
The EPA has leveled no accusations against Ford nor GM. Note this is a law suit brought forth by the same Law office who is naming everyone who produces a diesel and hoping for deep pocket fallout. A large fishing expedition.
1st I noticed "Moderator Dude" is already in this thread, so I am going to tread lightly w/intent on my part not to offend or go left.

Lawsuit brought about by Seattle firm, figures, King County. Hoping Cummins is flying under the radar.

Agree fishing for the deep pockets. Been the method and means process for some time now. There was a time "Ambulance Chasers" were the ones to watch out for, not anymore.

Best regards and safe travels

sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Don’t worry about the warranty or insurance. The less you say to service writers the better. But get the diesel for a 34’.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Thank you all for the shared information. Will be going to different dealers tomorrow to do some closer evaluation. Will be getting a 4x4 for sure. Have noticed a lot of 2017 trucks on the lots and advertised with some very attractive pricing. Would be great if I could hook the trailer on to several trucks to try and see how they work. Not in a big hurry to make the purchase, and want to get the "right" one first time. Thank you all again. Chris
ACI #7394
1994 Excella 34'
Hensley Hitch
Old 02-27-2018, 04:08 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowman View Post
1st I noticed "Moderator Dude" is already in this thread, so I am going to tread lightly w/intent on my part not to offend or go left.

Lawsuit brought about by Seattle firm, figures, King County. Hoping Cummins is flying under the radar.

Agree fishing for the deep pockets. Been the method and means process for some time now. There was a time "Ambulance Chasers" were the ones to watch out for, not anymore.

Actually, I heard Cummins was being looked at. Don't believe anything came of it, cause.....just crickets after the first press coverage.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:20 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Actually, I heard Cummins was being looked at. Don't believe anything came of it, cause.....just crickets after the first press coverage.
Would not surprise me. Hall Monitors on parade.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:56 PM   #16
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
I haven't heard about the EPA going after Cummins, just the class action suits. Which may, if they have any grounds, eventually come to involve the EPA.

What I did read about was Ram going after Cummins. They had a very expensive recall on Ram trucks with Cummins power, related to a failure of the emissions control system. Ram said it was at least partly Cummins fault. Cummins didn't agree. Seems there was a third party supplier of an emissions control component, and Cummins pointed to them. It went to court. Don't know how it ended up.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:05 PM   #17
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
If a forum member has towed a 34' with a Toyota Sienna minivan for many years and never had a complaint, why couldn't a 1/2 ton with a 6.2 V8?

If I were the OP, I'd contact CanAm RV and ask them for a list of vehicles capable of towing his model year 34'. Ask them for a list of unmodified and modified vehicles (certain vehicles will need hitch modifications).

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Tow Vehicle size is a religion here. The "big truck" guys advocate relentlessly for what they chose. As faithful followers, their beliefs are firmly and honestly held. I believe there are other, equally valid, choices but nothing, ever, will convince them.

The subject is raised on a regular basis and no consensus is possible. We are all on our own.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:22 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
34' w/a mini van? Interesting, eyes wide open?

Recall on Cummins emission control system, have not seen or heard on this. Year(s) and which Cummins engine?

W/o doubt one can tow w/many different type of vehicles. For us we like being on our own. Being safe and reducing risk = more trips/adventures w/the least amount of discomfort.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:52 AM   #20
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowman View Post
34' w/a mini van? Interesting, eyes wide open?

Recall on Cummins emission control system, have not seen or heard on this. Year(s) and which Cummins engine?

W/o doubt one can tow w/many different type of vehicles. For us we like being on our own. Being safe and reducing risk = more trips/adventures w/the least amount of discomfort.

2013-2015 Ram with the 6.7 Cummins. Moisture in the Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) system caused deactivation/degradation of the SCR emissions control system, and consequently high NOx emissions.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote