Old 11-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
Timbren overload springs

Just installed timbren overload springs on my Silverado crew cab, didn't want the hassle of airbags.

Will hook up the airstream tomorrow and see how much of a difference it makes

Old 11-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I've looked at the Timbrens also with curiosity. Please give us a report of how the ride is without the trailer, and the ride and stability with the trailer.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I installed them on a 1998 Suburban a few months back. I was not impressed. I had to modify them so they would remain aligned with the springs. As supplied they are free to move off center and become useless.

I have used airbags before and would recommend that approach over the Timbrens or better yet modify the spring pack.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
I don't know how they move off center - mine bolted to where the factory bump stops were on the frame and they are aligned over the axle about twice the size of the factory ones

Unloaded they feel no different because they don't touch the axle at all
Old 11-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by srpuywa View Post
I don't know how they move off center - mine bolted to where the factory bump stops were on the frame and they are aligned over the axle about twice the size of the factory ones

Unloaded they feel no different because they don't touch the axle at all
That's the way the instructions for the Timbrens that fit my truck show them fitting, also. Unless they install differently on a GM, don't see how they could move off center.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
Towed the trailer home today for winterizing, the timbrens did exactly what they were meant to do. They sat on the axle, there was a lot less sag, the ride did not seem harsher and the truck felt more stable.

Well worth it for me

Next up - WD hitch
Old 11-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
A properly set up weight redistribution hitch will take care of most of the sag on your truck. I would have installed and adjusted it before I decided I need to spend the money for a version of air shocks. My Silverado did not require the air shocks.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
t8r

ben wheeler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I've looked at the Timbrens also with curiosity. Please give us a report of how the ride is without the trailer, and the ride and stability with the trailer.
I have them and they work great. It keeps the truck level.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
A properly set up weight redistribution hitch will take care of most of the sag on your truck. I would have installed and adjusted it before I decided I need to spend the money for a version of air shocks. My Silverado did not require the air shocks.
Actually the Timbrens function more like an overload spring than an air shock, but I agree a weight distribution hitch would have been my first choice also, even with a 19 footer.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:14 PM   #10
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
An airbag set-up is ideal when the loads in your pickup vary greatly. Our trailer's tongue weight is about 500 lbs, depending on trailer load-out, but we may also be carrying 500 lbs of water or Burning Man gear or .... as well, or not.

The air bags make adjustment simple.

Of course, this makes me wonder why airbags w/ additional volume added aren't used to tension WD hitches, as this could be almost constant force.
This would keep loads on things reasonable when the truck starts up a grade the trailer hasn't gotten to yet....

- Bart
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I installed both front and rear Kelderman air bag suspensions for a level ride system complete with it's own air compressor (also an air hose outlet by the rear license plate for taking care of tires). There is no sag when the trailer is attached. The scales tell the story of how the Hensley is setup and transferring weight.

When hitched to the trailer or carrying a heavy in bed load, the 17" Michelin LT265/70R17E rear tires are inflated to the factory recommended pressure of 70 psi which means their capacity equals the rear axle weight rating. The 17" Michelin LT265/70R17E front tires carry 60 psi which equals the front axle rating. Unhitched or no load, the rear tires carry the recommended 40 psi and the ride is more comfortable.

The ride is comfortable, but one can tell it is not a luxury car.

Each axle on the Airstream Classic model 30 and Classic model 31 is rated for a 5,000 pound payload (per the 2013 Classic parts manual, the 27FB also uses these same axles). I have the Michelin LT 225/75R16E tires and the Sendel T03-66655T wheels for the trailer. From the tire load chart tables, about 72.5 psi would have the tires at the axle rated load capacity. I expect the Dill TPMS installed in the trailer tires will provide some guidance as whether that might be the appropriate tire pressure for the trailer.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:57 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
airbags require putting air in them every so often or getting a compressor - I didn't want the hassle, the truck rides most of the time empty (unless I hook up the trailer). And I haven't had any sway issues so I'm not in a big hurry to get a WD hitch
Old 02-04-2014, 04:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
I have installed the Timbren's on my Ram 2500. I know the truck would handle the load without them, but I had a situation where the truck was riding just a little bit off of the stock overload springs with the trailer in tow, and when we hit bumps in the road such as going on to, or off of a bridge, when the suspension did hit the overload, it was a severe bounce.

The Timbren's have smoothed the ride quite a bit when towing, but what I didn't expect, and am pleasantly surprised about, is how they have made the truck so much more stable when towing. It's like I added a 2" anti-sway bar to the rear of the truck.

Driving the truck without the trailer in tow is no different than before their addition. For my application, the Timbren's work well.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Inflated air bags, inflated air shocks, over load springs, ALL progressively defeat the purpose of a load equalizing hitch.

That was demonstrated and proved over and over again, in 1970, by the Insurance division of Airstream at that time.

Andy