Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Willis , Texas
Water pump leak/ac

Laura the way the system (a/c) works is, if you have a freon leak, when the pressure goes low because of a loss of freon, the compressor will not run (due to the low pressure switch) thereby "protecting" itself. Mine stopped cooling and it was just the low pressure switch...Water pump leaking? My 2001 has a "weepage". When it gets about a pint low, a large orange message, (in the same place it reminds you to change your oil),tells me coolant is low. Do you have this warning system on yours? Has it ever told you your coolant is low? Most water pumps weep, it is when you are constantly putting coolant in that you have a problem. ( technically I should replace mine but I feel six months or so is liveable) It has been weeping for 2 years, I have to top it off about every 6 months, to the amount of about pint at a time.
72 tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:07 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Success!

Hi there!
Started repairs at 07:00 yesterday mornin'. My friend quickly got to the compressor - and I learned that it takes a bit of disassembly to remove it from the engine compartment. I also learned not to get overly concerned about this - as it all goes back together - and sometimes (this time) without any extra parts still laying on the driveway. Once the compressor was changed, we moved on to the orifice (original was totally coated in oil and crusty) and then to the accumulator and low pressure switch. I think I had about $320 invested in parts... My friend pulled a vacuum on the system and then started recharging it. Had a bit of worry when the compressor took a bit longer than expected to kick on - but finally got about 3 lbs of freon in it. A/C runs nice and cold now!!! He didn't believe the story about the rear evaporator - but will help me monitor the system to verify that one.

He didn't find the weep hole on the water pump but is suspect of the shops assessment of that at as well - esp since I don't have any symptoms. I'll continue to monitor my cooling system. As a kid, my parents' vehicles always seemed to overheat - and I have horible nightmares about sitting on the side of the highway with the radiator fluid boiling out.

We then went to work on replacing my brakes. I suspected I was due a brake job since I suposedly only had 40% pads left when I bought it a year ago. Hummm, front pads and roters were still really good, but the back needed replacing. I'm returning the front parts and will recheck them when I rotate my tires. Now that I know how to bleed the brakes and all, I feel I can do the front one when needed!

I've decided to let the ABS go for a short while. I plan to check around and see if I can find the modulator(s) from a salvage yard...

I paid my friend for his help and ended up with a substantial savings. Day of work in the heat, but feels good to learn (relearn) how to do some work myself and build some confidence. I'll be changing my oil this afternoon and then take the $$$$ savings to the sterio/tint shop for some *additions*. I could probably do this myself as well - so I'll see how I feel at the end of the week - as my trailer needs some attention before my next trip. Guess I'll have to decide where the savings are and what jobs I'm willing to tackle in a short time.

Thanks for all you help! Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:38 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
I feel your pain...

What really cheezes me off, on top of the repair bills- is the premium I paid for a 3/4 ton vehicle, thinking the components would wear longer/perform better (2005 Chevy Suburban LT 2500 8.1L)

After direct comparison with a 1/2 ton FORD Expedition EL, I'd say the performance difference is marginal ('go power' was really the only significant difference)
Perhaps if the trailer brakes weren't so effective, and a hitch system other than the Hensley were used, performance inadequacies would be more pronounced...

But as it is, the list of repairs over 50k miles/3 years is ridiculous.
Transmission, front end components, suspension, exhaust, brakes/ABS, electronics (probably not attributable to heavy-duty use, but still...)

I've been very critical of folks, on this forum, for using (per published numbers) under-rated tow vehicles... I'm seriously starting to reconsider my stance on this

My point is: maybe ditching your Chevy p/u for something smaller/less HD (i.e. expensive) is an option to reduce costs...
Old 06-13-2010, 09:42 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
I'll chime in with a note..... If and when you change your fuel pump use a OEM pump not Autozone, also never run your fuel tank lower than 1/4. The fuel is critical for pump cooling.
Also be aware if you use non OEM brake pads some squeeling and howling may occur from time to time, this will not hurt the brake performance but it may be a bit unsettling. Adios, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Glad that you're efforts are paying off in re short term future usage. Recommend an analysis under which you extrapolate per mile costs over a determined period (I'll keep until 2014, run X-miles, hope that per-mile cost is Y-cents); see EDMUNDS "True Cost of Ownership".

HVAC systems may not last more than 7-years (where performance is same as new) is my rule of thumb for us folks in hot climates. There are boards where we civilians can learn from techs to some degree. Same for learning from vehicle oriented boards. My DODGE truck has some HVAC problems in common with other owners, and, it appears that some later model upgrades -- and some aftermarket parts -- may suffice in keeping cold, cold, cold AC before complete system replacement. As I would prefer to keep this truck until at least 2014, then saving for that big piece of work is underway.

Extensive reading on maintenance issues online will pay off, IMO. Knowledge of problems and fixes. Forewarned is forearmed. Etc.

Try to address all problems as systems, not jury-rig repairs component-by-component. Hurts pocketbook initially, but not nearly so frustrating as having to go back through to repair another item (such as, if water pump needs replacement, then get the timing chain while in there!). Etc. Labor is the killer.

I like to recommend buying only factory parts, new, unless on a car to be sold where re-built is acceptable as those cheaper parts tend to have a shorter life.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:59 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Yeah - nice job! As to stereo stuff, Crutchfield.com has all the installation kits and stereos listed that will fit a particular car... no splicing into the factory system needed! Tinting, I'd leave to the pros.. it's hard to keep the bubbles out. Get quality film, some of the cheaper stuff tends to purple with age.

Great going on the mechanical learning!
Now get out and camp!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Willis , Texas
You go girl!!

I am glad for you.
72 tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
Glad you got things worked out -- having been in the same situation I felt for you. Thank heavens for good friends!

As it was so well put by Roseanne Roseannadanna,
"It just goes to show ya, it's always something."

Debbie
dmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:55 PM   #29
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Great Laura—things fixed, money saved, learned a lot. It's a pain to go thru it, but the satisfaction afterward is good.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote