Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2005, 06:20 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Thoughts on my misguided idea of an older TV, anyone?

OK, I am morally certain that this is a bad idea but I don’t know why yet. The thought occurred to me this afternoon to buy an old ’68 Ford pickup and restore it to pull my Trade Wind of the same year. So far so good right? Then I started to wonder how impractical it would be to put a more modern engine in it. I also wonder what other upgrades might be workable (air, better breaks, what have you- I love what have you) while maintaining the character of that time.
The motivation for this is: 1) to have a tow vehicle that is suited for my TW be it on the plains or mountains, 2) to avoid paying $50K for a truck, and 3) it just seems like it would be pretty cool.
I’m sure I am not the first to have this sort of epiphany so I thought I would throw this out there and see what you folks have to say. Thanks.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 06:27 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think by the time you get done you might have at least $50k in it, depending on how out of control you get

There's plenty of interest in hot rodding old trucks. You can find modern suspensions, install fuel injected engines, AC, whatever your heart desires. It could be a pretty cool project!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 06:27 PM   #3
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
I bet you can find an old ford truck list, that could help you on whether it is a practical idea. They have groups for everything else. I have a '69 Sovereign and just sold my '69 Austin Healy Sprite. Don't think it could have been upgraded to pull it. Although...............Nah, too much work. :-)
cheers, bill b.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:31 PM   #4
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Me too

I've thought about a '73 Ford 1/2 ton for mine. (I don't remember if they were called F100 or F150 back then). I, too, think you and I are both crazy for even thinking about it. I'm not sure I'll have the energy to tackle it if I EVER get the Airstream done.

On the other hand....I have an uncle who has been restoring '50's model Ford PU's since I can remember. He also has the shop facilities to do it. He just retired this summer,hey wait a minute, this may be doable!

Don't even breathe a word of this to Susan!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 06:37 PM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
OK, I am morally certain that this is a bad idea but I don’t know why yet. The thought occurred to me this afternoon to buy an old ’68 Ford pickup and restore it to pull my Trade Wind of the same year. So far so good right? Then I started to wonder how impractical it would be to put a more modern engine in it. I also wonder what other upgrades might be workable (air, better breaks, what have you- I love what have you) while maintaining the character of that time.
The motivation for this is: 1) to have a tow vehicle that is suited for my TW be it on the plains or mountains, 2) to avoid paying $50K for a truck, and 3) it just seems like it would be pretty cool.
I’m sure I am not the first to have this sort of epiphany so I thought I would throw this out there and see what you folks have to say. Thanks.
You know, I had been toying with the same idea, but simply don't have the time to realize it. Besides, I can't seem to find a 63 truck that would serve my daily needs at the same time.
My take would be that your plan would have to include upgrades to brakes and drive train for better safety and fule economy.
A vintage tradewind is basically a 5000lb trailer, so your truck choices are many, from a decent half ton to a 3/4 ton. You would not need anything heavier duty, in my opinion.
I used to run a half ton 1984 E150 cargo van with a 5.0 V8, which pulled loaded car trailers very well, and parts were easy to swap and many were available. I imagine a late model Ford V8 with about 350CI would make a great puller, given that you mate it with a good transmission and suitable rear axle, 3:73 minimum.
I think it's a good idea, but be prepared to drop a pile of cash in a project like this, if you want to make it right, reliable and safe.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Rodney,

I happen to like old iron as tow vehicles. What you must remember with an old pickup is that they are trucks and do not have the creature comforts of new trucks. My 1973 Dodge PowerWagon was top of the line, but no power seats, power windows, carpet on floor, cup holders and all the nice things that you have now. Also, being a Dodge it rides like an ox cart, I replaced the original shocks after 135,000 miles and 31 years, if the suspension doesn't move the shocks do not wear out. If you start with a 3/4 ton pickup with a large V8 and automatic trans, you will have a good tow vehicle and you may not have to upgrade much, but you won't have disc brakes, they can be added. You will have poor mileage compared to a modern truck, but you will turn heads with a well maintained vintage tow vehicle. I saw this one last year at a El Camino Real rally:

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	16891  
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 06:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilby05
I have a '69 Sovereign and just sold my '69 Austin Healy Sprite. Don't think it could have been upgraded to pull it. Although...............Nah, too much work. :-)
cheers, bill b.
Back in the early 70's a buddy put a 327 chevy in his Healy. Now that would punch a hole in the wind for the Sovereign to slip through!
Old 12-05-2005, 06:57 PM   #8
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Ten principles of economics...happiness quotient

Oky doky I got out my Mankiew microecon book and some of the principles listed were (holding constant other factors)
1 people face tradeoffs, given scarcity of resources--unless you are a megamillionaire if so ignore the rest of this...
2 cost of something is what you give up to get it--opportunity cost
3 rational people think at the margin cost/benefit analysis
so what are the marginal costs and benefits? On the other hand...
Don't forget the happiness quotient, if you are presently single with few debts and obligations (without a frugal sig other/partner to veto the idea) you know there are "hyacinths for the soul," this might be your version of it? But can you do it without selling plasma? Sista wants you to be healthy and happy. As a great economist/musician (Muddy Waters) from the delta once said
"You can't spend what you aint got, you can't lose what you aint never had"
Good luck!
Old 12-05-2005, 06:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I remember a vintage rally when an old timer pulled in with a 60's Chrysler sporting fantastic fins pulling a beautiful 60's Tradewind minus fins. Thing is this was his set up purchased new back in the 60's.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I think by the time you get done you might have at least $50k in it, depending on how out of control you get

There's plenty of interest in hot rodding old trucks. You can find modern suspensions, install fuel injected engines, AC, whatever your heart desires. It could be a pretty cool project!
Stef knows her way around projects and costs. She also knows how "out of control" can sneak up on you. Wise woman she is.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
New Chassis, old body

Buy a newer truck with severe body damage but good running gear and put the '68 body on it. Hot rodders do it all the time. My buddy built several early 50's Chevys by mounting their bodies onto late 70's platforms. You get better everything that way but still retain the vintage look.

You could pick up (pun intended ) a banged up late 90's or early 2000's Super Duty for not too much and then put your '68 cab on it. It'd be a chore, but you could do it for less than $1M. It'd be a fun project.
JimGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Rodney, if memory serves me the Ford pickup back then had an Lorado model that was all the way done up. Big motor, a/c, high trim level. The max motor was the 351 cu. in. in the 3/4 ton or the 427 c.u. i.n. in the one ton.
If you're keeping your Airstream close to original why not look for a deluxe p/u in near stock config. to begin with. Add headers, ignition, carb, mods to meet performance desires.
The main problem in this vintage would be rust in the bed and rear quarters. Finding the right AZ/CA vehicle will be the trick.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:29 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I see nothing wrong with getting a 1968 F100 or F150, putting a 390 in it, with new hardened valve seats so the unleaded gas doesn't destroy the heads, and put a C6 and power disc brakes in it. Power steering would be a must, I had a 1969 F100 with a 390, and manual steering. That lasted until I found a wreck with power steering, and converted it. If you are real lucky, you can even get one with air conditioning (whoo-hoo!) and cloth seats, both the greatest things to be installed in trucks of those years.
If someone offers you a 1967 for a terrific price, (hey, it's only a year off) run the other way, everything on 67's was 67 only. Ask me how I found out.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:34 PM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
Rodney, if memory serves me the Ford pickup back then had an Lorado model that was all the way done up.
Glenn, I think you are a couple years off as to what you could get. Ford has had, in the 60's and 70's, the Custom, Ranger, XLT, Lariat, and Explorer, in order of options, from least to most.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:27 PM   #15
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Rodney,

I happen to like old iron as tow vehicles. What you must remember with an old pickup is that they are trucks and do not have the creature comforts of new trucks.
Bill

That is an excellent point Bill, I forgot to mention I learned to drive in a 66 ford, and owned a 67 for several years. Cloth seats and airconditioning do appeal to me; having said that I like a truck to be a truck (and lament the passing of the pickup) and distrust anything in a tuck that is automatic including the transmission (of course cruise control is sweet.....).

Old 12-05-2005, 08:41 PM   #16
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
Buy a newer truck with severe body damage but good running gear and put the '68 body on it................. You could pick up (pun intended ) a banged up late 90's or early 2000's Super Duty for not too much and then put your '68 cab on it. It'd be a chore, but you could do it for less than $1M. It'd be a fun project.
Interesting thought, wonder what I would be getting myself into though

Old 12-06-2005, 06:15 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Rodney's Christmas wish list.

Rod, found this Christmas list for you to email to your wife, or family banker. http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...6/81571876.htm
1968 with a 428 cobrajet!! Even has A/C
http://www.collectorcartraderonline....3/75328343.htm
A little tamer with a 390 4spd.
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...8/81080518.htm
Camper Special edition 390 but with an automatic.
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...8/81356628.htm
All original with a 4 spd. for only $2750.
Small V8 3spd but the price is below $2000!! I can check this out for you as it's in Charlotte NC!! Does your wife know what you want for Christmas??
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...2/81279812.htm
Fresh engine, ready to tow....
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...5/81337115.htm
No idea on this one but if you live out west this is your starting point at $500 just add cash!!
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...8/81705028.htm
390 3spd....boy must have long gears huh?
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...8/81801278.htm
nice...long bed with fresh engine...
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...4/81819674.htm
I'm getting to the point where I want one....
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...2/74431602.htm
Nice AZ 4spd, AC
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 06:40 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Go for it!!!!
Plenty of parts for old Fords and at reasonable prices. I would upgrade the front brakes to Disc and other then that its a good platform to build on. Kits readily available for the conversion. Comes with a Ford 9 Inch....pretty good rear axle. The old I beam trucks don't ride bad. They are coil front. A bunch of Dyno mat and a Vintage air unit and you will have all the creature comforts and knocked down the noise down.

I really kick myself now for selling my 1970 Suburban I bought as a project. It would have been a fun tow vehicle.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 06:44 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Rodney---Here's a few "cents worth" from a retired auto mechanic of 40 years. This is not said to discourge, just some things to concider. To take an old vehicle and do a restoration or modernize is more often than not a bigger project than most realize or are capable of. Simply put there is way more to it than meets the eye. Over the years I can't tell you how may neat old cars I've seen end up in someones back yard in pieces, with weeds growing up around them, after somwone discovered how how much work and Money was involved. I have several friends that have done street rods and restorations over the years. Most are 4-5 year projects working every spare minute they have and as much money spent as a new vehicle would cost. It is possable and some do to take an old vehicles and make them into one that is as modern and up to date, engine ,chassis and comfort wise as any new one you can buy. BUT as they say IT AIN"T CHEAP!!!!! When I hear someone say things like "you can just slip in a bigger engine" or air conditioning, powersteering etc, my responce to most is "you have no idea what you're talking about".-------Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:11 AM   #20
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Rodney---Here's a few "cents worth" from a retired auto mechanic of 40 years. This is not said to discourge, just some things to concider. To take an old vehicle and do a restoration or modernize is more often than not a bigger project than most realize or are capable of. Simply put there is way more to it than meets the eye. Over the years I can't tell you how may neat old cars I've seen end up in someones back yard in pieces, with weeds growing up around them, after somwone discovered how how much work and Money was involved. I have several friends that have done street rods and restorations over the years. Most are 4-5 year projects working every spare minute they have and as much money spent as a new vehicle would cost. It is possable and some do to take an old vehicles and make them into one that is as modern and up to date, engine ,chassis and comfort wise as any new one you can buy. BUT as they say IT AIN"T CHEAP!!!!! When I hear someone say things like "you can just slip in a bigger engine" or air conditioning, powersteering etc, my responce to most is "you have no idea what you're talking about".-------Pieman
Good point,

Do you think this applys as well to taking an older vehicle and having the engine rebuilt and generally fixed up as opposed to a "make a 40 year old truck new and all trick it out" adventure?