Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2006, 12:24 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
economics of vintage pullers

One advantage of a vintage puller is that, like many types of things people fix- up, vintage vehicles often do not fetch a price on sale anywhere near what they cost to restore. This being the case, a buyer can often find a great rebuilt item much, much cheaper than new, but nowhere near the cost. You need to avoid the the "best in show" category, but a vehicle that is 70 or 80% may be only a few thousand bucks. To make any pretense of economic sense, you need to be handy with mechanical stuff. Most shops are only familiar with the newest equipment. Vintage equipment is also more amenable to jerry-rigging in the event of a breakdown, which is perhaps also more likely, depending upon your level of diligence and ability. The internet has certainly made this whole field of endeavor much easier and more attractive than in years past–witness this BB and eBay. Vintage pullers don't need to be smogged, are usually simpler, but reflect the values of an earlier time with regard to creature comforts. Last year I was in Death Valley for the once in a lifetime wildflower and precipitation show and saw new SUV after new car cruising by with the windows up and the A/C running on a fine, glorious, mild spring day! Go figure! The logical extension is to take the kids to the Grand Canyon with the windows blocked out and a video camera on the roof .Then let them see it on a LCD inside between the cartoons-no need to engage the environment at all. But I digress....

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 05:55 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
Rodney;
That Ford pick-up is just like mine. Thats a sweet find, go for it! Maybe 20K and it would be just like new with new motor, tranny, rear end, suspension, body work and paint and interior. You will turn heads guaranteed,,,and best of all you will have a vehicle that the older it gets, the more it appreciates in value. And not to mention you wont have to fork out the 40K for the powerstroke or have that nagging payment every month!

Ernie
1958 Traveler, 18ft.

Tow vehicle; 1950 Ford F-1 (with a Corvette 350 c.in. ,700R4 tranny,
9" Lincoln Rr. End, Mustang frt. suspension w/power rack and pinion, disks on all 4's) Awaiting funds for body and paint, interior, wiring and brake plumbing.
aztlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:42 PM   #43
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Abbotsford , British Columbia
Talking im with the yes crowd!

when i was younger i put a 460 into my 72 ford 1/2 ton. same body as the 68 but different grill. that old truck liked to go!
current truck is 1990 w 250 dodge TD bought new in 90 runs good pulls good but no cup holders.
found a 73 3/4 ton long box crew cab for sale in the local paper. four fullsize doors . i may just have to give this one a good home.
personaly i like trucks that when you get in , you know your in a truck. you can always add your own custom cup holder.
my 2 cents, go fer it!
Silverslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:42 PM   #44
Rivet Master

To make it suitable for towing and reasonable comfort you are talking:

Engine, transmission if you want automatic (new clutch/pressure plate if not), rear end (complete axle might be easier all around), suspension up front, new springs in back, disc brakes all around, probably a custom radiator, oil cooler, transmission cooler (or stay manual), body off paint/body work, new wheels, tires, exhaust, compete interior (seats, door panels, carpet, headliner), three point seat belts, all new wiring throughout, air conditioning, stereo, probably some chrome work. And new ashtray.

Unless you do a lot yourself, and assuming you can find someone who can do consciencious work, it might be possible to bring it in for $30,000. This would not make it show quality, but it would be very, very nice.

Mark
Old 06-08-2006, 07:48 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
A buddy just bought a 1957 Ford (Meteor) Ranchero with a 1979 Ford 302 and automatic trans (25,000 miles on the engine and trans out of a wreck). It needs some cleaning up and some wiring redone and eventually will need fresh paint and appropriate bodywork. Has power steering out of the '79 and power brakes. Another fellow's project that he couldn't finish due to a health issue. He was asking $5,000 and when asked what he had to have for it he volunteered that he'd be happy with $4,000. So, it's been bought and will be towing (sadly an SOB but I'm working on him to go silver) very soon. Fresh brakes ($300), tires ($400), exhaust ($250), shocks ($200) and replace the carpet ($250) and they have a neat and somewhat unique hauler. There are deals out there all the time if you are looking. This one was in a small town classified and we do a weekly search of many of them out west looking for this type of project in the making. I've seen nicely done mid 60's to mid 70's trucks with new or rebuilt engine/trans/brakes/paint/interior and options like PS, PB, PW go for ten to twelve grand or often less. Far less than the builder has invested I'm sure.

If you do buy, have it checked out first by a real mechanic and safetied. It will cost you a couple of hundred bucks usually to have this done but otherwise you just don't know what it is you are truly getting.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:00 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Maybe I'm missing something here but wasn't a '68 tradewind origonally pulled by a stock '68 vehicle . In '68 a V8 was still a stong engine . Upgrading brakes would be a good idea , other than that it's all about creature comfort.
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:27 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1976 21' Globetrotter
eugene , Oregon
my son in law found me a mechanic owned 69 ford f250, 390cu upgraded to a 400something, camper special all ready to tow. we got it for $1100. i've only towed my "new" 21ft. 76 gt twice now with it. (less than 100 miles each way) only had to put new trailor break plug in and for being my first time ever towing, it was great! truck needs a paint job is why the price.
janetbjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:16 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
I think the thing to do is to go ahead and realize your dreams .however you need to do it .Buy a 70 or 71 f250 with the options you might like on that truck .They are out there just as vintage airstreams are.Get one already done ,it will cost less than you could build it .Those fords with the trim packages were real nice trucks ,p/s a/c disc brakes (72 0n ? ).My travelall took work to upgrade the brakes and suspension discs etc.,but it has a/c p/s overdrive trans (standard shift though) and its no late model suburban ,but it is heavy duty and Gets the looks always ,so the cool factor cannot be beat .
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:49 PM   #49
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
On the other hand....I have an uncle who has been restoring '50's model Ford PU's since I can remember. He also has the shop facilities to do it. He just retired this summer,hey wait a minute, this may be doable!

Jim
Hey Jim, this project is back on my mind again, and as fate would have it, I was thinking a '50s truck would be pretty sweet. Any chance you could check with the uncle about how feasable this would be?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:02 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Hey Jim, this project is back on my mind again, and as fate would have it, I was thinking a '50s truck would be pretty sweet. Any chance you could check with the uncle about how feasable this would be?
Rodney:
The picture that wkerfoot posted earlier is a 1956 Ford. Those are available regularly with late model V8s, disc brakes, and air, in the $20-$30K range here in CA. I imagine you can find them in your neck of the woods also. They don't get much cooler than that, and I'm a "Chevy guy".
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:15 AM   #51
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Looks like I'm going to have to rebuild the engine in that old '97 F150 that I gave to #2 child, but that's another long story. My uncle has offered the use of his shop, so it looks like I'll be spending some time with him over the next few weeks. When I sopke to him on Saturday, he had a '55 Ford P.U. and 2 '63 Ford Falcons in the garage restoring them. Talk about a guy who's loving retirement....

About how much does your Tradewind weigh? That'll be the most importent number in the equation I would imagine.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:07 AM   #52
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8strm
They don't get much cooler than that, and I'm a "Chevy guy".
Personally, I think if a car manages to live to be 40+ years old, it is cool, no matter who built it.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:23 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Personally, I think if a car manages to live to be 40+ years old, it is cool, no matter who built it.
I'm with you on that Terry. It's just that right now my 40+ year old Chevys outnumber my Fords 4 to zip. But I did have a great '56 Ford pickup for a while. Ron
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:28 AM   #54
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
About how much does your Tradewind weigh? That'll be the most importent number in the equation I would imagine.

Jim
Im not sure, but I dont see any point in re-weighing it untill the new floor is in and the frame extension holding the ugly box is axed. In the best of all worlds, the truck would come with a PSD under the hood . For sure I would want extra power in reserve. Are there issues with wheelbase in these old trucks? I want this so bad I can taste it...

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:43 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Old pick-up trucks

Rodney, What preceeded your idea by about 40+ years was the type tow vehicle that Wally himself used. I believe it was a 3/4 ton International with service box. That said, If you are looking for old and big pick-up trucks there is a junk yard just north of Dallas, TX (Can't remember the name) that is loaded with old cars and trucks. I was even thinking of a road trip to look for an old Good Humor ice cream truck to use as a TV. Now how cool would that be? Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:48 AM   #56
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
..... For sure I would want extra power in reserve. Are there issues with wheelbase in these old trucks? I want this so bad I can taste it...
Man, I don't know. I'll bet either my uncle or someboby here has towed with one 'em. I'll give him a call tonight and see what he has to say.

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:22 PM   #57
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
How old?

I had a 1969 F100 with a 390 engine, and a 3 speed manual transmission that I used to tow with. Long bed, manual steering and brakes.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:08 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I disagree that a Ford would be that much more difficult than a Chevy. After all, the 289/302/351/5.0L motor has certainly been available for many years, making interchangability simple, and the engine has been so popular for so long, finding parts is no problem. And of course that way you don't have to be seen driving a Chevy
351 windsor and 351 cleveland parts are not all swapable.chevy parts are 350 283 400 parts are.we just made a 383 small block with a 400 block with a 350 crank with bearing spacers and rods . very easy and less than $1500. if you know how to.