Old 12-06-2005, 09:45 PM   #29
Rivet Master
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Sadly, for the moment, I'm the only Airstream. The others tow mostly vintage trailers as well but they are a real mixed bag of units, and several are now actively looking for the "right" silver trailer, but as we all know they are few and far between. We joke that our age must be showing - our car club has as many trailers in it now as it does cars.

Several of us our talking of heading down the Oregon coast this summer but until we get closer to the season it's hard to get everyone's attention. Usually anywhere from 5 to 12 of us head out depending on the length of the trip and everyone's holidays. We were thinking the latter part of August as the most likely time frame but still to be determined. A bunch of the group as well as many others will be at Wenatchee's rod run the first of July with their cars and trailers (I may go).

Those of you who note the potential problems with vintage TV's are absolutely dead-on, using a vintage vehicle to tow a trailer is not for everyone for sure. Older stationwagons make great tow vehicles, many were heavily optioned, were the family car and treated well, and are very reasonably priced. But you've got to love 'em to drive 'em. They are still old cars and like old people and old trailers, they have their quirks. And your significant other has to be in sync with it as well or you might have a very lonely holiday.

safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 11:30 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member
Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
Found on road dead

The only thing I would change would be a to use a 68 chevy ... he he he
then you've got a great idea

Life's short...take your kid camping
gotair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:44 AM   #31
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I wasn't going there, but

Originally Posted by gotair
The only thing I would change would be a to use a 68 chevy ... he he he
then you've got a great idea
Since you did, it may be easier to freshen a Chevy than a Ford. If nothing else, 350's were still being manufactured up until a very few years ago, and reman ones can be had pretty cheaply. Most everything for the Ford hasn't been OEM installed in a car or truck in many years, so ease of availability and cheap upgrades is better with the Chevy.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:46 AM   #32
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
This thread makes me green with envy. I am wondering what would look best as a TOAD behind Chummy. Maybe a 1982 Pinto.
Chaplain Kent
1994 30' Excella 1000, Chummy III- Ford Excursion- 7.3 Turbo-diesel
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:24 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Kent, I think an American Motors Pacer would be perfect. Not only do they look like a TOAD, they were frequently "towed" and even so, they WILL be valuable some day. I guess I'll have to re-install the hitch and electrics on my '64 Pontiac Star Chief to tow my '65 Tradewind, at least around to the local events.
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:55 AM   #34

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I disagree that a Ford would be that much more difficult than a Chevy. After all, the 289/302/351/5.0L motor has certainly been available for many years, making interchangability simple, and the engine has been so popular for so long, finding parts is no problem. And of course that way you don't have to be seen driving a Chevy

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 12:21 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member
El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
Rodney, go for it! Its the same thing as working or restoring an old Airstream. Nowdays its easier as a big number of aftermarket companies are producing new components to upgrade old vehicles.
I'm re-doing a 1950 Ford F-1 pick up to be the tow vehicle for my 1950 A/S. Good luck.
'58 Traveler, 18ft.
aztlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 03:14 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Thumbs up Just Do It!

I agree with “aztlanco” post – go for it, if you really think this is what you want to do.

How many of these old Airstream restorations would be complete if people put their ideas and passions aside and listened to people who said, “that is too much work” or “it can’t be done”. Through vision, hard work and yes money these are treasures, some of which are very unique or one of a kind.

Garth Brooks said “sometimes you just can’t be afraid to ware a different hat – if Columbus had complied than this old world would still be flat”.

If the passion burns in you to build this dream tow vehicle and you don’t – good luck silencing the voice inside. If you try and don’t succeed – you still tried man. Nothing ventured – nothing gained.

Simply my two cents worth!

Good luck,
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:38 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member
...........My suggestion would be to , find a 77 , 78 , or 79 F250 , 4x , since they had front disc brakes and drop a pre1997 Cummins into it . Either the 6BTV or a 4BTV . A 4 BTV(4 banger) setup properly with intercooler , etc. is capable of putting 450 ft.#s of torque to the rear axle and delivering great fuel milage to boot . r66
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 12:06 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member
El Paso , Texas
or even an Isuzu four cylinder (as found in the Isuzu NPR trucks). They are very reliable, durable and excellent on fuel economy!
'58 Traveler, 18ft.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:26 AM   #39

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker

Ok, here is a hypothetical. say a guy bought this I assume you would be looking at a new motor (wouldnt a PSD be neat!), disk brakes, interior and what not.

So... what would you be getting into cost wise?

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:15 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member
2005 22' Safari
Santa Ana , California
I think it's a great idea. If I had the time and money I'd get an old truck to match up to old an AS. How cool would that be? I always thought an old boat behind an old truck would be cool.
Good Luck. Go for it.
2005 22ft Safari
2003 Chevrolet Suburban Z71 5.3l
"Life is like a box of chocolates..." Forrest Gump
Killo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:24 PM   #41
Rivet Master
1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
economics of vintage pullers

One advantage of a vintage puller is that, like many types of things people fix- up, vintage vehicles often do not fetch a price on sale anywhere near what they cost to restore. This being the case, a buyer can often find a great rebuilt item much, much cheaper than new, but nowhere near the cost. You need to avoid the the "best in show" category, but a vehicle that is 70 or 80% may be only a few thousand bucks. To make any pretense of economic sense, you need to be handy with mechanical stuff. Most shops are only familiar with the newest equipment. Vintage equipment is also more amenable to jerry-rigging in the event of a breakdown, which is perhaps also more likely, depending upon your level of diligence and ability. The internet has certainly made this whole field of endeavor much easier and more attractive than in years past–witness this BB and eBay. Vintage pullers don't need to be smogged, are usually simpler, but reflect the values of an earlier time with regard to creature comforts. Last year I was in Death Valley for the once in a lifetime wildflower and precipitation show and saw new SUV after new car cruising by with the windows up and the A/C running on a fine, glorious, mild spring day! Go figure! The logical extension is to take the kids to the Grand Canyon with the windows blocked out and a video camera on the roof .Then let them see it on a LCD inside between the cartoons-no need to engage the environment at all. But I digress....
"Not all who are laundering are washed" say Bill & Heidi

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 05:55 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member
El Paso , Texas
That Ford pick-up is just like mine. Thats a sweet find, go for it! Maybe 20K and it would be just like new with new motor, tranny, rear end, suspension, body work and paint and interior. You will turn heads guaranteed,,,and best of all you will have a vehicle that the older it gets, the more it appreciates in value. And not to mention you wont have to fork out the 40K for the powerstroke or have that nagging payment every month!

1958 Traveler, 18ft.

Tow vehicle; 1950 Ford F-1 (with a Corvette 350 ,700R4 tranny,
9" Lincoln Rr. End, Mustang frt. suspension w/power rack and pinion, disks on all 4's) Awaiting funds for body and paint, interior, wiring and brake plumbing.