Old 12-05-2005, 09:27 PM   #15
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Rodney,

I happen to like old iron as tow vehicles. What you must remember with an old pickup is that they are trucks and do not have the creature comforts of new trucks.
Bill

That is an excellent point Bill, I forgot to mention I learned to drive in a 66 ford, and owned a 67 for several years. Cloth seats and airconditioning do appeal to me; having said that I like a truck to be a truck (and lament the passing of the pickup) and distrust anything in a tuck that is automatic including the transmission (of course cruise control is sweet.....).

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 09:41 PM   #16
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
Buy a newer truck with severe body damage but good running gear and put the '68 body on it................. You could pick up (pun intended ) a banged up late 90's or early 2000's Super Duty for not too much and then put your '68 cab on it. It'd be a chore, but you could do it for less than $1M. It'd be a fun project.
Interesting thought, wonder what I would be getting myself into though

and the
My Blog

Old 12-06-2005, 07:15 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Rodney's Christmas wish list.

Rod, found this Christmas list for you to email to your wife, or family banker. http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...6/81571876.htm
1968 with a 428 cobrajet!! Even has A/C
http://www.collectorcartraderonline....3/75328343.htm
A little tamer with a 390 4spd.
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...8/81080518.htm
Camper Special edition 390 but with an automatic.
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...8/81356628.htm
All original with a 4 spd. for only $2750.
Small V8 3spd but the price is below $2000!! I can check this out for you as it's in Charlotte NC!! Does your wife know what you want for Christmas??
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...2/81279812.htm
Fresh engine, ready to tow....
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...5/81337115.htm
No idea on this one but if you live out west this is your starting point at $500 just add cash!!
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...8/81705028.htm
390 3spd....boy must have long gears huh?
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...8/81801278.htm
nice...long bed with fresh engine...
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...4/81819674.htm
I'm getting to the point where I want one....
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...2/74431602.htm
Nice AZ 4spd, AC
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 07:40 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Go for it!!!!
Plenty of parts for old Fords and at reasonable prices. I would upgrade the front brakes to Disc and other then that its a good platform to build on. Kits readily available for the conversion. Comes with a Ford 9 Inch....pretty good rear axle. The old I beam trucks don't ride bad. They are coil front. A bunch of Dyno mat and a Vintage air unit and you will have all the creature comforts and knocked down the noise down.

I really kick myself now for selling my 1970 Suburban I bought as a project. It would have been a fun tow vehicle.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 07:44 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Rodney---Here's a few "cents worth" from a retired auto mechanic of 40 years. This is not said to discourge, just some things to concider. To take an old vehicle and do a restoration or modernize is more often than not a bigger project than most realize or are capable of. Simply put there is way more to it than meets the eye. Over the years I can't tell you how may neat old cars I've seen end up in someones back yard in pieces, with weeds growing up around them, after somwone discovered how how much work and Money was involved. I have several friends that have done street rods and restorations over the years. Most are 4-5 year projects working every spare minute they have and as much money spent as a new vehicle would cost. It is possable and some do to take an old vehicles and make them into one that is as modern and up to date, engine ,chassis and comfort wise as any new one you can buy. BUT as they say IT AIN"T CHEAP!!!!! When I hear someone say things like "you can just slip in a bigger engine" or air conditioning, powersteering etc, my responce to most is "you have no idea what you're talking about".-------Pieman
Old 12-06-2005, 09:11 AM   #20
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Rodney---Here's a few "cents worth" from a retired auto mechanic of 40 years. This is not said to discourge, just some things to concider. To take an old vehicle and do a restoration or modernize is more often than not a bigger project than most realize or are capable of. Simply put there is way more to it than meets the eye. Over the years I can't tell you how may neat old cars I've seen end up in someones back yard in pieces, with weeds growing up around them, after somwone discovered how how much work and Money was involved. I have several friends that have done street rods and restorations over the years. Most are 4-5 year projects working every spare minute they have and as much money spent as a new vehicle would cost. It is possable and some do to take an old vehicles and make them into one that is as modern and up to date, engine ,chassis and comfort wise as any new one you can buy. BUT as they say IT AIN"T CHEAP!!!!! When I hear someone say things like "you can just slip in a bigger engine" or air conditioning, powersteering etc, my responce to most is "you have no idea what you're talking about".-------Pieman
Good point,

Do you think this applys as well to taking an older vehicle and having the engine rebuilt and generally fixed up as opposed to a "make a 40 year old truck new and all trick it out" adventure?

and the
My Blog

Old 12-06-2005, 07:57 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I've been towing my trailers with my 1957 Pontiac Star Chief Safari 2dr wagon for 26 years. It's great. I upgraded the motor and transmission, front brakes to discs, good shocks and away we went. We use it now to pull our '51 Flying Cloud. It's our holiday car and we take it everywhere, generally with the trailer in tow. When I retire it will be my daily driver. The only amenity I do not have is A/C and that's by choice. The thing to look for is a highly optioned vehicle - and better yet, one that someone has either started and not quite completed, or is already a driver. You cannot do the work as cheaply as you can buy someone's else's project. Make sure you aren't buying their problems though so get a mechanic and body man to check it out if it's not a done-and-being-driven vehicle. Have it safetied. Is it cheaper than a newer or new TV, yes, but it's also not a new vehicle so we put up with some squeeks and rattles on rough roads. But that new TV is going to quickly get to that stage as well so...... And we tow with a group of folks who have a 33' Chev, 35' Ford, 35 Hudson, '36 Chev, 38 Plymouth, '40 Chev, '48 Ford, '48 Jeep wagoneer, '55 Chev, '57 Ford and '66 Impala wagon. All pull trailers, we tour all over BC, WA and OR and we see others all the time in older mostly Ford and Chevy trucks and cars redone with later power trains and suspensions. It's fun, it's not cheap to get started, but it is cheaper than buying new or almost new. As a note in the mid nineties I updated my front suspension by grafting on a '77 Trans Am frame, and run a '70 Trans Am 455 and turbo 350 I'll change this winter to a 700R4. So I have all the power and handling of a Trans Am in a 1957 Pontiac wagon. Life is VERY GOOD!
Barry
Old 12-06-2005, 08:09 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Good point,

Do you think this applys as well to taking an older vehicle and having the engine rebuilt and generally fixed up as opposed to a "make a 40 year old truck new and all trick it out" adventure?
The later fifties, the sixties and seventies cars and trucks were all built pretty stoutly. Many of the folks I know with cars and trucks of those vintages run them with the original engines and transmissions after having them rebuilt and most have spent a few bucks and put disc brakes on the front. The other thing is to make sure the cooling and heating systems are done properly. Lot's of late sixties and seventies trucks were optioned out pretty nicely and had lots of towing capacity. Fuel consumption will be higher but is easily offset by the much lower buy-in, and a properly tuned engine will still do not too badly. When my 1951 Flying Cloud was built there were not a lot of modern V8's and people pulled them with inline sixes, standard transmissions, no power brakes, bias ply tires, on ugly roads.

Barry
Old 12-06-2005, 08:32 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Gen Disarray & Barry--My coments concerning vintage vehicles was not intended to discourage anyone from restoration or up dating to a more comfortable modern version of an older vehicle. My intent was, and still is, to point out that it's not as simple and inexpensive as some would have you believe. Of course the extent of rebuilding --restoring that is done determines the cost as well as effort required. I can tell by Barrys coments that he is not the run of the mill automobile admirer. It's obvious he has the skills, tools and willingness to take on projects that most don't possess. It's easy , when you have these qualitys, and these things seem simple, to assume it's easy for everyone. The fact many projects are available in an unfinished state speaks of that. I admire anyone who has the patience to build or rebuilt an old vehicle,especially one that's a "driver". I also admire and think the end result is very neat. Having said that I personally even with the skills etc to do this don't have the energy to take on such a project. I'll just go to rallys and admire the work of those who do.---Pieman
Old 12-06-2005, 09:02 PM   #24

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
The thing to look for is a highly optioned vehicle - and better yet, one that someone has either started and not quite completed, or is already a driver. You cannot do the work as cheaply as you can buy someone's else's project.
THAT is excellent advice. That is how we got our 68 Corvette, and finished it and had a sweet ride for a fraction of what the original owner/restorer had invested in it before he got burnt out. We even made money when we sold it. That doesn't happen very often!

Quote:
And we tow with a group of folks who have a 33' Chev, 35' Ford, 35 Hudson, '36 Chev, 38 Plymouth, '40 Chev, '48 Ford, '48 Jeep wagoneer, '55 Chev, '57 Ford and '66 Impala wagon. All pull trailers, we tour all over BC, WA and OR
Seriously, you have to let me know sometime if your group comes camping down this way, I'd LOVE to join you and check out the TVs!

I would love to have a vintage SW or a big boxy 4-door sedan to tow with. Unfortunately my time and money is currently tied up in a mustang restoration (and it won't even tow when I get done - what was I thinking?) Maybe for my NEXT project - a mid-60s TBird or a 50s Chevy. I think that would just be a blast.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:04 PM   #25
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Mike,

I appreciate your candor. The reason I asked the question was to find out what people who know about these things thought about it.

and the
My Blog

Old 12-06-2005, 09:39 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Find a 68 ford or whatever in hotrod/truck mag that is already what you want, paintjob included. Let him take the beating and frustration and you drive it for two years until you decide that you have to own a turbo diesel. Then sell it to some else that likes pain.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:49 PM   #27
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel
Find a 68 ford or whatever in hotrod/truck mag that is already what you want, paintjob included. Let him take the beating and frustration and you drive it for two years until you decide that you have to own a turbo diesel. Then sell it to some else that likes pain.
I already want a power stroke, btw, you realize that the motor alone is a $5K option?

and the
My Blog

Old 12-06-2005, 10:06 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
I've been towing my trailers with my 1957 Pontiac Star Chief Safari 2dr wagon for 26 years. It's great. I upgraded the motor and transmission, front brakes to discs, good shocks and away we went. We use it now to pull our '51 Flying Cloud. It's our holiday car and we take it everywhere, generally with the trailer in tow. When I retire it will be my daily driver. The only amenity I do not have is A/C and that's by choice. The thing to look for is a highly optioned vehicle - and better yet, one that someone has either started and not quite completed, or is already a driver. You cannot do the work as cheaply as you can buy someone's else's project. Make sure you aren't buying their problems though so get a mechanic and body man to check it out if it's not a done-and-being-driven vehicle. Have it safetied. Is it cheaper than a newer or new TV, yes, but it's also not a new vehicle so we put up with some squeeks and rattles on rough roads. But that new TV is going to quickly get to that stage as well so...... And we tow with a group of folks who have a 33' Chev, 35' Ford, 35 Hudson, '36 Chev, 38 Plymouth, '40 Chev, '48 Ford, '48 Jeep wagoneer, '55 Chev, '57 Ford and '66 Impala wagon. All pull trailers, we tour all over BC, WA and OR and we see others all the time in older mostly Ford and Chevy trucks and cars redone with later power trains and suspensions. It's fun, it's not cheap to get started, but it is cheaper than buying new or almost new. As a note in the mid nineties I updated my front suspension by grafting on a '77 Trans Am frame, and run a '70 Trans Am 455 and turbo 350 I'll change this winter to a 700R4. So I have all the power and handling of a Trans Am in a 1957 Pontiac wagon. Life is VERY GOOD!
Barry
Barry,

What a fantastic group of friends, do you plan on going to the International in Salem, OR? Your group would fit right into the Vintage parade and section.

Bill

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote