Old 09-15-2015, 03:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Lighten the hitch weight? Take your batteries and propane tanks off, that will not help especially when you are under powered go with a diesel especially if you travel much, the 3/4 ton gas trucks have the same engines as the gas 1/2 ton pickups like I said before no such thing as too much horsepower or too much money.....

Old 09-15-2015, 03:38 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
[QUOTE=DHart;1684121]Before you put your hard earned money down, make sure you include a good test drive in a Chevy Silverado 2500 and a GMC Sierra 2500, including the Duramax/Allison models. They are exceptional trucks... and were born to tow!

AMEN!!!

>>ron<<

Old 09-15-2015, 04:35 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Brighton , Ontario
For what its worth

We've had the 29' foot Excella for almost 10 years now and been towing it with a 2006 Ford Explorer 4 X 4 with the 4.6 litre V-8. The AS plate shows a weight of 6800 pounds, however going over scales fully loaded for the trips including a full freshwater tank nets out to about 8100 pounds. The built in Onan generator, the Hensley WD hitch and the full size 100V LG fridge probably have something to do with the weight discrepancy.
We've had it on the East coast of Canada, up through the Rockies into the Yukon and Alaska as well as throughout the flat land prairie provinces.
Although the Ford accomplished the task quite well, there where many times when I wished I had more oomph going up hills and more importantly bigger brakes on a heavier TV going down, especially after descending a multi-mile 8% grade and seeing the sharp corner at the bottom (white-knuckle event). This happened more than once but I learned very quickly to be a very careful driver and we never had any mishaps, although some folks behind me may have been a bit p-o'd).
Recently some problems with the Ford, like blown wheel bearings and a funny acting transmission led me to question the viability of using it in that towing capacity any longer.
So I switched to a 2011 GMC Sierra 2500 HD with the 6.0 litre Vortec engine.
The difference is absolutely remarkable. I now understand what other folks were talking about when they referred to the 3/4 ton platform. On a recent shakedown trip along the North shore of Superior to Thunder Bay I could actually leave it on cruise control and tow/haul mode when ascending and descending moderate hills and it did the work of shifting down uphill as well as down, never exceeding 4000 RPM (Although I usually don't run in cruise control only because I'd rather conrol the situation). The extra payload capacity makes it a lot easier to take along the things we want without being afraid of overloading the combination.
When I towed with the Ford, it was hard to remember that there was an 8000# trailer behind me. The GMC feels it even less. And, surprising to me, was the fact that fuel consumption is now even less than the Ford (21 l/100km in the GM vs. 25 l/100km towing). (You guys figure out MPG!)
Although there are many proponents of smaller tow vehicles, as I was, I have to admit, I'm a convert. It really is more of a pleasure to tow now than it ever was before.
Just my two cents.
Hensley Arrow
Hans Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:45 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Yorba Linda , California
As expected. Always lots of long winded input on this topic.

Put your mind to ease on the payload and tow capacity. Go for a 3/4 ton diesel. You will never even get close to capacity with your rig.

Anymore would be long winded. Good luck but above all HAVE FUN!
Old 09-15-2015, 04:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Check out Titan diesel fuel tanks:

https://titanfueltanks.com

I installed the 56 gallon tank in the same space to replace the stock tank under out 2012 Dodge 2500HD short bed. Similar tanks are available for Chevy/GMC and Ford.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:57 PM   #20
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Grim View Post
So I switched to a 2011 GMC Sierra 2500 HD with the 6.0 litre Vortec engine. The difference is absolutely remarkable. I now understand what other folks were talking about when they referred to the 3/4 ton platform.
Another happy camper!!! Enjoy!
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
One size does NOT fit all!

I've said that more than once. Hope I'm not turning into a crank about it.

I sold my nice 2013 EcoBoost. The reason I bought it - was I wanted a better daily driver - in a tow capable vehicle. It actually worked.

However I fulltime and take maybe 20 trips per year. Once I retire I will basically be ON the road during the spring summer and fall, and tucked in somewhere warm and dry every winter.

I really don't absolutely NEED a 3/4 ton diesel, but I used to have one and have missed it for two years.... so I went out and got what might be my last tow vehicle. It's big, it's loaded, it's fun, and I'm going to enjoy towing with it.

ON the upside, the in town mileage on the F-150 wasn't all that great - though it performed very well when I had to drive + 50 miles a day for a couple of weeks. I don't think the fuel cost is really going to be that much more for the new truck, a 2500 GMC Sierra Diesel compared to the EcoBoost.
I think the turning radius might be slightly bigger on the Sierra, and when I buy tires it will be sticker shock time. I definitely feel the difference in height.

Waiting until this weekend to see how it hitches to the Hensley.

If you are strictly a weekend camper - the EcoBoost would be fine for anything up to a 27/28 foot Airstream, for me, the right vehicle IS a big truck. When the sales guy drove the truck to the front of the dealership, several truck shoppers admired "his" truck, then he handed the keys to me - Silly Wabbit, Twucks are for Girls!

Paula
Old 09-15-2015, 05:51 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post
I could not agree more. Please test drive all three Doge, Ford and Chevy/GMC. To me after owning Fords for twenty years the Chevy and GMC 2500HD are by far the best and most relaxing tow vehicle. I plan on putting half a million miles on the 2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ 2500HD Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Standard Box. It pull are 30' Bunk like a dream.
We just bought the same truck this weekend. Didn't look at Rams, but the Chevy was the clear winner (to us) over the Ford F250.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:58 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I'm prejudiced. And I just bought a 2500 GMC Sierra diesel TODAY after dithering for a month. It's pimped out and will HAUL anything.
Sweet ride, Paula!!! We test drove one last weekend and it was NICE! Ended up with the Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LTZ -- same thing, really. Nicest car we ever owned!

Joanne
Old 09-15-2015, 05:59 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Grim View Post
.....so I switched to a 2011 GMC Sierra 2500 HD with the 6.0 litre Vortec engine.

The difference is absolutely remarkable. I now understand what other folks were talking about when they referred to the 3/4 ton platform.

Just my two cents.
Having plenty of adequate capacity, along with a bit of a buffer as well, is a wonderful and confidence inspiring thing when towing a significant bit of expensive trailer. Congrats on your happy towing situation!

When it comes to towing our 30' International, we have been exceptionally happy with the performance and capacity of a 3/4 ton diesel. We like the Chevy/GMC offerings the best, but any of the better 3/4 ton trucks out there make great towing machines for larger/heavier trailers.

Smaller, lighter trailers can often be well managed with smaller tow vehicles. But when stepping up to the bigger units, it is wise to step up in tow vehicle, as well.

I wouldn't be happy knowing that my towing situation was at, or beyond, manufacturer rated maximum capacity... it is nice to have a little buffer of capacity under your seat when traversing this great country of ours.

Living in the western USA, we often traverse the Rocky Mountains and the Sierra Nevada ranges. They are magnificent places to travel, but they are quite demanding of a tow vehicle in terms of power, speed control in descent, and weight handling. Setting oneself up well in terms of tow vehicle, to deal with this kind of thing, is a very worthy endeavor.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:00 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
How many people can you get comfortably in one of these new pickups?
Old 09-15-2015, 06:19 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
How many people can you get comfortably in one of these new pickups?
Most carry five people, two up front, three in the back. That is plenty for some of us, but will not be enough for others.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:46 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Check out Titan diesel fuel tanks:

https://titanfueltanks.com

I installed the 56 gallon tank in the same space to replace the stock tank under out 2012 Dodge 2500HD short bed. Similar tanks are available for Chevy/GMC and Ford.
We followed switz advice and just installed a 50 gal tank on our Ford F250 and we have a range of 550 miles when towing. We very glad that we went with the larger tank.

2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
2015 25' International
WBCCI # 5462 4CU
Ponyfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:49 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
We just upgraded from a Toyota Tundra to a Ford F250 Diesel and it is great. We are on a trip now and the truck stays at 1500 RPM and just goes. It doesn't matter if it is flat or hills. This is our first trip with the new truck and we ar very happy. You don't even know that the trailer is back there.

2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
2015 25' International
WBCCI # 5462 4CU
Ponyfvr is offline   Reply With Quote