Old 02-24-2009, 07:47 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
think I almost got into a scam

looking for my new TV... found a new listing on Craigslist (popped up Yesterday a.m.) for a 2004 Suburban, ~ 50K miles and under $6000. Two pictures were included but very little other information. Only way to respond to ad was via a yahoo email account. I inquired about tow package, seating configuration, etc. By 10:00 pm - no response. AND the entire listing is now GONE from craigslist.....

Today I receive the following message --- but NO THANKS! This has got to be a scam!!! What's wrong with people? and, glad the truck has never been *implicated* in an accident - that could be a real problem.
Hi,
Thanks for being interested in buying my car ( 2004 Chevrolet : Suburban LT ). It is in a good condition, no scratches,no damages,never been implicated in any accidents,no problems at the engine,runs very well. It has 45180 miles, clear and clean title, a perfect car. The price is not negotiable , $4,600 . The only thing because i am selling it ,because i divorced with my husband and after the divorce i own this car,now as a woman i don`t need it (i don`t have driver license).
We will use eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection for our safety.I just need your full name and address so i can open a case.(with no further obligation or fees ! )
Thanks !

Old 02-24-2009, 07:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Sounds like a problem even in their answer - lucky you recognized the issue right away.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
1977 Argosy 28
Agassiz , b.c.
That's a scam alright, very common on craigslist. if it's too cheap or too good to be true it is, if they say how great it is and its ready to be shipped it's a scam. if they ask for a wire transfer, and never give you actual info such as a phone # or address to view it, scam! If they try to use 'eBay' to set up a deal it's a scam. Here's a current one on CL involving a '2005 19' International CCD/Bambi' http://nd.craigslist.org/for/1064323814.html this one is all across north america so feel free to flag it.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Don't ask me how I have come to this conclusion but..I honestly believe you are 150% right in your assessments..
The thing that grabs my attention is the wording of the text.
It sounds, excuse me for saying, to be from Ghana or, some place similar.
I, like you, would not walk.. but.. RUN as fast as you can away from this deal.
I would check VEHIX.com for deals on used vehicles.
Here's a dealer that located close by..at least he's in Fla.
http://www.dieselsuburbans.com/
Good Luck
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Salt Lake City , Utah
Bambi Scan

What are people thinking? That scam ad for the "Bambi" shows an Airstream, probably 25ft or so with a double axle, not a 19ft. Bambi. I feel lucky to have had a positive experience buying my trailer "on-line", would I do it again?... I would think twice, no telling what some people are up to, sad!!!
Old 03-07-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyduck24 View Post
That's a scam alright, very common on craigslist. if it's too cheap or too good to be true it is, if they say how great it is and its ready to be shipped it's a scam. if they ask for a wire transfer, and never give you actual info such as a phone # or address to view it, scam! If they try to use 'eBay' to set up a deal it's a scam. Here's a current one on CL involving a '2005 19' International CCD/Bambi' http://nd.craigslist.org/for/1064323814.html this one is all across north america so feel free to flag it.
I just did. But others should flag it as well so it will be removed ASAP.

They keep posting this one over and over. I have seen it at least 25 times all over the US CL. It is usually flagged by the time I get to it.

Duel Axle Bambi!! Couldn't even take the time to get the picture correct. They will most likely ship to you for free as well, don't they always.

SL
Old 03-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Central , California
I did some research into the Bambi scam. Yes people are being taken advantage of. It is a group of people from a third world country and the scam is world wide. All they need is a small percentage of people to respond and send them money...

I found that there is NO remedy for the people taken by these thieves. Once the money leaves their account, there is no mechanism to get it back. They are out.

When I came across the Bambi scam I flag, flag then flag again... I tried to report it to the FBI and FTC - through the craigslist scam link. It was sooo difficult I gave up. Here is what I do now:

I post warning adds on the same page as the scam adds.

I flag the add numerous times. Craigslist won't remove the add unless it has multiple flags.

I send the people posting the add an e-mail that states I am turning them into the proper authorities.

They are persistent thieves and want your American Dollars.

I wish there were a way to launch a retro computer virus their way, maybe an ICBM or a voodoo hex. I have NO love for thievery or fraud or the people who do those things.

Circle the wagons and protect your fellow Americans.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I particularly like "No problems at the engine". These idiots always give it up with their use of prepositions and pronouns.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1990 34' Excella
1964 22' Safari
Savage , Minnesota
The scammers are a diligent lot!
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ing-46146.html

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
http://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
I just found it listed a second time on the ND CLs. Please flag those of you who want to help stop this type of thing. No pic this time but same ad. They are not using the word Airsteam in their ads so it doesn't come up when you search for AS. They are using Bambi instead. Go figger?

Please "Flag" this ad.
2005 19' International CCD/Bambi Interior Tropical Oak (North Dakota)

Thanks, SL
Old 03-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Central , California
This suggestion uses absurdity and humor to make a point. If you have no humor and can not recognize satire READ NO FURTHER or FARTHER. Whichever....

I say we hire some mercs to convince them stealing is a BAD idea. Water board them, Take all money they have, make cartoon animations about them to offend their culture, then stack them like chord wood, take pictures then put them in a US Military prison in Cuba.

Okay, maybe not. Now what was the point I was making? Oh yeah - buyer beware.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I agree with Moosetags. The syntax is off. Sounds like 2nd rate English from a 3rd world country.