Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #1

lake mary , Florida
The right TV for 2012 Int Sig 27FB

Hello all!
Newbie trying to decide between 4 possible SUV TVs. 2011 Ford Expd XL 4x2 9200#, 2010 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4x2 10000#(apparently the newer models have a lowered TC), 2011 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4x2 9600# and finally the 2011 Nissan Armada SL 4x4 9000#. I'm leaning towards the Armada solely based on what I would enjoy driving when not hitched but I obviously want something that would handle the AS nicely. Not overkill/not white knuckling. Any thoughts, comments, suggestions etc. would be greatly appreciated. Many thx in advance.
Cheers!
witwigianni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
First, welcome to the forums.

In actuality, any of the vehicles you have listed will do a fine job. I think you will find when these types of questions are asked here, it becomes a contest for everyone pushing the type of vehicle THEY like and THEY drive.

I would only suggest what ever you get, make sure it has the maximum towing package the manufacturer offers.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
;)

2011 27 FB International
Leesburg , Virginia
Keep in mind you will hit vehicle gvwr and rear axle ratings before the tow rating in most 1/2 tons.

Since you are going 2wd that give you a bit more leeway but still about 1500lbs for the domestics and the toyata is around 1300. Take out the weight the trailer puts on (with wdh my 27fb is guesstimated at 500 have not weighed it yet) and passengers and see what you have left over.

Like i said the 2wd might give you room to make it work. My older 4wd expedition was rated 8600lbs but with 500lb hitch weight assumption amd subtracting passengers, dogs, generator i was at 150lbs remaining capacity for all my camping gear!

The new placards on the driver door that list xxxxlbs max for passenger and cargo seem to be pretty accurate. Id take a look at that before buying or even test driving anything
Old 09-06-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
We were parked next to someone with an Armada at the weekend and he was very pleased with it; he had an SOB weighing 5,500lbs.

Whatever you go for, weight distribution and sway control should be on your hitch shopping list.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #5

lake mary , Florida
Arrow

I appreciate the feedback so far... I guess what makes things a bit confusing is reading about or viewing video by those who don't seem to pay much attention to the numbers/ratings yet claim success with just about ANY (and I do mean any) vehicle as long as it is "properly hitched". Although it wasn't something crazy like an old beat up Buick, I just viewed an amazing video of a V6 diesel MB suv that was just barely if at all "rated" for the 31' AS it pulled and it showed some impressive trouble free performance. I would probably consider some other things then if I could getaway with a 7500# to pull the 27FB... More confused now...
Old 09-06-2011, 10:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
If you are buying a new tow vehicle, make sure to get ALL of the heavy duty and towing options installed by the factory or dealer. Some of the things that come with the heavy duty and towing packages only add a few hundred dollars to the sticker, but will cost you a lot if you have to add them later. For example, we got the towing package and TRD option with our Tundra, and besides all of the trim extras, we got a heavy duty battery, heavy duty radiator, transmission cooler, heavier rated springs, Bilstein shocks and a skid plate. We also ordered factory dual exhaust and a rear sway bar, although it's difficult to quantify how much these two options actually improved towing performance.

By getting these from the factory or dealer, they are covered under the new vehicle warranty and by your auto insurance, not so with aftermarket parts.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Witwigianni,

Give Andy Thompson at Can Am RV a call (Can-Am RV :: Home), he'll put your mind at rest. Living in Florida it's unlikely you'll become a Can Am customer but you'll find that he's happy to talk, and advise, on the wider options for you. Believe me, there are some amazing options out there!

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
If you are buying a new tow vehicle, make sure to get ALL of the heavy duty and towing options installed by the factory or dealer. Some of the things that come with the heavy duty and towing packages only add a few hundred dollars to the sticker, but will cost you a lot if you have to add them later. For example, we got the towing package and TRD option with our Tundra, and besides all of the trim extras, we got a heavy duty battery, heavy duty radiator, transmission cooler, heavier rated springs, Bilstein shocks and a skid plate. We also ordered factory dual exhaust and a rear sway bar, although it's difficult to quantify how much these two options actually improved towing performance.

By getting these from the factory or dealer, they are covered under the new vehicle warranty and by your auto insurance, not so with aftermarket parts.
Couldn't agree more..

One thing the OP could do to help us help him is to clarify how many people and how much cargo he plans on carrying in the SUV. I think what we're looking at here is payload capacity. I'd personally love to recommend the Sequoia due to delicious powertrain, but can't do it without knowing more..
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #9

lake mary , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
Couldn't agree more..

One thing the OP could do to help us help him is to clarify how many people and how much cargo he plans on carrying in the SUV. I think what we're looking at here is payload capacity. I'd personally love to recommend the Sequoia due to delicious powertrain, but can't do it without knowing more..
TPI,
The plan is to write a book based on a 2 year full time Airstream experience in North America. 1 Man, 1 German Wirehaired Pointer, a bike or 50cc moped, laptop, pen, paper , clothes etc. basic supplies/stocking of trailer. Keeping it simple and basic. Thats it...
Old 09-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
Punta Gorda , Florida
For the "what's its worth department" I have a 28' safari and I pull it with a 2011 F-150 set up with the max tow package and the Eoc Boost engine. To date, I have pulled the rig approx. 5,500 miles which includes over the Appalchan's and if I had to do it over I would do the exact same thing again. Granted I have not gone over the Rocky's but stay posted. I will head for Alaska in April. I pull at 60 MPH and, so far, I have had ample power and I believe the ride and noise factor are excellent. I know you are concidering other TV's, but if I can help you with your questions just let me know.
John Dibble
Punta Gorda, FL
mysecondjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #11

lake mary , Florida
Addition: the moped is 200# dry If I chose it over the bike, the ped would have to be secured in the AS. If the bike wins out, it would be secured to the TV.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
The drive train in the Sequoia is the same as the Tundra and it is terrific. The big question mark is the rear axle rating and the payload. The Sequoia was redesigned in 2008. The Armada is good, but it is an older design and I do not believe it has a 6 speed transmission.

If payload is a problem, I suspect that Andy at Can- Am can help resolve this problem.

The Ford eco boost (turbo six) seems to be the gasser with the most towing grunt and the most economy, so I would also look at whatever SUV you can get this motor in (plus a 6 speed tranny of course).

Whatever TV you get I would get the gearshift on the floor as it is much easier to downshift than with the gearshift on the column and this is very helpful in mountain driving going downhill.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Ashburn , Virginia
I'm pretty new to the AS game, but we just finished a 6,600 mile westerly tour from our home in northern Virginia. We have a 2010 27 FB and tow with a 2005 F-250 with the PS diesel. I dearly love the diesel torque. We averaged 13.3 mpg (my wife and I are still arguing how we calculate the last fill-up into the equation) for the entire trip which included several 11,000+ passes. It was quite a bit of interstate driving so 65 mph seemed happier than 60. I have not weighed the set-up and should, but the F-250 lulls me into inaction. The trailer is lightly loaded, but I want to point out that the truck may not be. We have cap on the back of the truck and Yakima roof racks (4 bars, 2 on the cab and 2 on the cap) that often carry two bikes and two kayaks. With the limited storage in the trailer, the truck provides the room for the fishing/hiking/kayaking gear. I might not have bought the F-250, but we had previously spent several winters towing a heavier boat to the Keys for the winter. I just drove a 2011 F-250 PSD and agree that a 6 speed tranny is most desirable. Ooh, if I just had a spare $50 grand.

Rod
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
redmond , Oregon
We tow a 27 FB with a crew max tundra which I replaced a chev 3/4 diesel with . Great tow veh. and much better ride than chev( older was 97).
I use a hensley and don't even know we are towing
rashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
walnut , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashton View Post
We tow a 27 FB with a crew max tundra which I replaced a chev 3/4 diesel with . Great tow veh. and much better ride than chev( older was 97).
I use a hensley and don't even know we are towing
Do you have problem when you open the front storage door with the Hensley set-up?
joelin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:18 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
redmond , Oregon
I am careful because the storage door will touch part of the hitch assembly for the struts. I loose about an inch of opening so not an access problem at all
rashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #17
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Got wifi briefly, so I will be.

An SUV has a heavier body than a pickup, so less payload.

Large 1/2 ton trucks have lots of storage behind the front seats. With tonneau, better rear visibility for backing and fair amount of storage. Dirty stuff goes in truck bed—hitch, gas cans, water and sewer stuff, generator, etc. You can't do that in an SUV unless you want to create an area for that and watch damage to interior, seats and carpets. Do you want gas cans and generator inside an SUV? Some do it and it works, some worry about fumes and spill—something worth thinking about.

EcoBoost truck is fairly new and bugs still may have to be worked out. I don't think that engine is offered in an SUV yet.

New, large gas engines in 1/2 ton trucks with auto transmissions can pull any 25', 27', or 28' trailer, but payload has to be watched.

Moped in trailer—ability to secure it is limited inside trailer and it will bounce and may break free causing damage to trailer. Gas and oil comes with it and any spills inside could be a bad mess. Even securing anything but a folding bike can be difficult in the trailer.

4x2 doesn't get you off wet grass, sand and bad roads easily. Even people in Fla, Arizona and Cal. buy 4x4 in case of getting stuck. But 4x4 weighs more, cutting payload. It may be harder to get complete tow package with 4x2 trucks. You need the complete tow package.

Payload varies a lot with different trim lines. On Tundras it can run at least from 1,300 to 1,700 lbs., so model selection is important. All payload and tow capacities can be found on manufacturer websites with some exploring, at dealers (sometimes) and sometimes other sources.

Armada pleases some people, not others who say it just doesn't have tow capacity but is nice truck as a daily driver. Older design and may be phased out, but people have been saying that for years.

Some trucks will do fine for 50,000, 75,000 or more miles, but because you are at or over capacity (easy to do), but the drivetrain, brakes, etc., will wear faster and eventually that catches up to you. Given your truck or SUV a margin to reduce wear.

You don't need a diesel to tow the size trailer you want. Modern gas engines are up to the job with proper rear axle ratio. Payload is determined by suspension and that's why some go to 3/4 ton trucks, but managing weight carefully can mean a 1/2 ton works fine.

A lot of large SUV's are loaded and cost $40-50,000 and up. All those standard features and options add weight, so payload may be less than you think if you don't add in options weight. You can get a good 1/2 ton pickup with tow package and large cab for a lot less. We paid just under $30,000 for an SR5 Tundra with tow package, 4x4 and 5.7 L. engine in '07. For that matter, a 3/4 pickup should cost less too.

Good luck. There's a lot of research to find the tow vehicle that works for you.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:19 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
2007 25' International CCD FB
2018 28' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by witwigianni View Post
I appreciate the feedback so far... I guess what makes things a bit confusing is reading about or viewing video by those who don't seem to pay much attention to the numbers/ratings yet claim success with just about ANY (and I do mean any) vehicle as long as it is "properly hitched". Although it wasn't something crazy like an old beat up Buick, I just viewed an amazing video of a V6 diesel MB suv that was just barely if at all "rated" for the 31' AS it pulled and it showed some impressive trouble free performance. I would probably consider some other things then if I could getaway with a 7500# to pull the 27FB... More confused now...

I suggest visiting this website Can-Am RV :: Home
and even calling Andy at the dealership. I have seen two presentations he has put on at Alumapalossa and was impressed. He knows more about towing than most and would give you some good food for thought without the push to sell you something.
DonDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:54 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
We have a 27' International and our TV is a Suburban...love it!! Added transmission cooler, brake controller, my husband is fanatical about service, tires, etc. We have travelled from FL to Maine, Colorado and all parts in between with no problems. We needed a third seat for the dogs...two labs that like their own space and are spoiled rotten. Suburban is the same vehicle as Yukon I believe. But travelling with another vehicle (moped) wouldn't a truck serve your purpose better?
Just a thought...
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #20

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Which engine in the Tundra, Rashton? We just upgraded to the Flying Cloud 27FB, and were assured by the dealer that our 2010 4.6L Tundra (with 4-point hitch) would tow it fine (?). It certainly pulled a 20 without a hint of exertion, but at 28 feet and a couple of thousand pounds heavier, the 27FB is clearly a different beast...
ddhburns is offline   Reply With Quote