Old 03-13-2016, 05:20 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
We bought the same RAM (minus rear air suspension) for use with our 30' Classic. We love it! You will have plenty of reserve power on hand if you ever trade up to a larger trailer. Have fun!!!

Ps. BruceB is correct - the 3.42 is the only axle ratio available with the Cummins engine

Old 03-13-2016, 05:33 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Watervliet , Michigan
Bruce-B, I bought my first RAM, 1500 air susp, last year. Almost exactly one year ago. Coming off three successive Ford Diesels I thought it was time for a change. What the heck, I gave Ram 5.7L 1500 a try pulling my 25FC around for the summer out West. I was blown away with the RAM, it is not the old Dodge I remember. I have 27k miles in one year and loved every mile. But, one thing was missing...800 pounds of torque and a great exhaust brake. So, I ordered a 2016 Ram 2500 with a Cummins and should be in a week or so.. Same color as yours. Also got the auto rear leveling option. Can't wait and enjoy your new ride.

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:23 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan-B View Post
Bruce-B, I bought my first RAM, 1500 air susp, last year. Almost exactly one year ago. Coming off three successive Ford Diesels I thought it was time for a change. What the heck, I gave Ram 5.7L 1500 a try pulling my 25FC around for the summer out West. I was blown away with the RAM, it is not the old Dodge I remember. I have 27k miles in one year and loved every mile. But, one thing was missing...800 pounds of torque and a great exhaust brake. So, I ordered a 2016 Ram 2500 with a Cummins and should be in a week or so.. Same color as yours. Also got the auto rear leveling option. Can't wait and enjoy your new ride.
Good! Now I'll have someone to trade notes with on that rear suspension!
It is a bit confusing as the directions for the 1500 and the 2500 are different.
I love the truck so far though and I suspect that it makes almost no difference which set of directions I follow.

Hope you can stand the wait!

Bruce
Old 03-13-2016, 06:54 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Oak Harbor , wa
Great thread on Ram. We too have a 2016 Ram,Cummins, white color. This is after a 2015 Ram 1500 ecodiesel. Pulled our 25' AS wonderfully with incredible fuel mileage. But unfortunately not reliable. 10 days to replace a high pressure fuel pump at 3800 miles. Then 100 miles later more engine noises. Went with the Cummins and absolutely no issues. Just should have purchased the Cummins first.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:52 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I recently wrote a "final report" post about the tow vehicle we used for the first 4 years of towing our Airstream. That particular truck was chosen as a tow vehicle, well, because I owned it when we bought the Bambi. As with all vehicles, it was a mixture of awesome and not so awesome...just like most things in life.

We liked our truck!

So, what truck? ...

Remember, we bought this truck for us, not for you. I'm not being critical of your tow vehicle at all. If it works for you I am happy for you. I came away from his exercise with greater understanding of why people do what they do and I think it's great. Many thanks to the people who wrote here and other places of their experiences. It all helps!

Bruce

Glad you found something you liked.

For other readers trying to make similar decisions, there appear to be a few key things that make a truck a good choice.

The wheelbase on a truck is generally longer than other options. 1) I don't think I would get much argument regarding longer being better for towing.
My NM dealer spent a good bit of time on this, since I bought my trailer BEFORE I bought my tow vehicle. I wanted an SUV, but I listened to experience from many both online and off. I am VERY glad I got a truck.
2) The truck has a separate compartment, and carrying gasoline, generators or anything else that could smell unpleasant or be somewhat dangerous is better off in the back of a truck than in the trailer or the cab of a truck or SUV, Cayenne, Mercedes or whatever. 3) Sitting high was already mentioned by this OP. 4) Frame strength and towing power are generally adequate without trips to Canada. Diesel options are going to be great for big trailers in mountains. 5) Load capacity is generally higher in trucks than SUVs. 6) Larger trucks provide opportunities to upgrade to bigger trailers if you get the urge.

Probably more... but I am really glad Bruce didn't get a Toyota! The more people who get Toyotas, the higher the dealers note the demand. If demand is up, prices follow. So my recommendation is that EVERYBODY stay away from Tundras and my next one will be cheaper than it might be if there was a big 'run' on them. Thanks Bruce!
Old 03-13-2016, 07:57 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Grimes , Iowa
Have you taken a look at the new Nissan Titan XD? I have been waiting for Toyota to put a diesel into the Tundra, but doesn't look like that is going to happen any time soon. I have driven one and was quite impressed. Payload and towing capacity is exactly what I have been looking for. It is what is being described as a heavy half.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:26 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Sanctuary View Post
... but I am really glad Bruce didn't get a Toyota! The more people who get Toyotas, the higher the dealers note the demand. If demand is up, prices follow. So my recommendation is that EVERYBODY stay away from Tundras and my next one will be cheaper than it might be if there was a big 'run' on them. Thanks Bruce!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewfiks View Post
Have you taken a look at the new Nissan Titan XD? I have been waiting for Toyota to put a diesel into the Tundra, but doesn't look like that is going to happen any time soon. I have driven one and was quite impressed. Payload and towing capacity is exactly what I have been looking for. It is what is being described as a heavy half.
Once upon a time I would have been far more opinionated about tow vehicles than I am today. I truly believe that almost any vehicle, properly set up and properly driven can make an excellent tow vehicle. Really!

Toyota makes some of the most reliable vehicles on the planet and that Nissan is obviously a first rate attempt to crack the stranglehold on the American truck market by the big three (ok big 4, sorry Toyota fans...)

It is the "properly set up" part that is so difficult. There is enough information out there now that any mechanically savvy person stands a chance on getting close... I've also seen obviously unsafe situations where the person towing seemed oblivious to the problem. I simply give them a lot of distance and wish them well.

One of the things I really dislike about forums is the negativity that seems to happen on some subjects and tow vehicles is one of them. I respect that people all have differing realities and needs. I'm just glad that I found the chutzpah to order such a large truck. It is awesome and we are loving it.

Hope you all enjoy yours too!

Bruce
Old 03-13-2016, 10:11 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
You made a wise choice...I have had 2 Ram Cummins... current one bought a few months ago(2015)is close to 30,000 miles... previous (2014)had a bunch of miles and never had any issues.

These trucks (duellys) both worked hard pulling trailer loads of cabinets across Texas.

If you want a Cummins to last and be free from problems then use it...it likes to be worked and work is good for it. What causes issues is short drives to the store and around town. The emissions equipment on new diesels works great if used properly. Put a load on it and get it out on the highway...that's where she shines.

Again, I like your choice...you can pull anything Airstream makes and more...enjoy!
Old 03-13-2016, 10:23 PM   #23
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
We've been towing with a 2010 1500 Ram since Aug 2014 and just upgraded ourselves as well to a 2015 2500. Nice looking truck.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:47 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We bought a new Ram 1500 recently. Preferred an SUV but money matters to us and they can't get close pickups in negotiated price. Pickups have their issues with ride, handling, braking, and fuel economy, we found the Ram 1500 series excellent overall having owned one the last four years.

Load carrying capacity has been no problem for us, having traveled and camped light for over 50 years. We know how to manage it. I like the feeling of balance and stability of our Airstream of our 1500 with a well setup quality weight distribution hitch. I can't emphasize the w.d. hitch setup enough, we had a bad one and the very same truck/Airstream was miserable at times.

We are impressed with the Ram 1500 and 2500 series trucks, which ever suits you. Our 2012 has provided flawless service for 50k miles. The coil or air suspension option ride very nice, the interiors are gorgeous, the styling has no awkward moments. As nice a vehicle as we have ever owned.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:20 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Racine , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
There is only one axel ratio for Cummins equipped 2500's this year. I believe it is the 3.42.
Can't imagine it makes any difference with the weights involved in the entire range of Airstreams! This truck has gobs of power from idle on up!
There is also a 3.73 available. Looks like payload increases from 2300 lb to 3300 lb with lower ratio. Don't understand it, but saw it comparing trucks on Dennisdillon ram website. Been trying to figure if something else also changes. Even used their "Live chat". Trailer towing seemed the same.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:32 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Ventura , California
My 1500 Silverado is 15 years old with only 50k miles on it. It's 4X4 to get to my cabin that is on a very un-improved road near Brian Head Ski Resort. My girlfriend just bought her 2015 22FB Sport in September, so since I have the tow vehicle, we were "good to go"! Believe me, some of the new technology and capability of the new trucks is very appealing to me, but hey, mine is paid for. I'm happy to crank my windows and lock my doors manually...I'm not into owning a "status symbol" or having another car payment! Photo attached is of site #6 at Montana de' Oro State Park near Morro Bay, CA. (Shhhhhhh! It's our little secret!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	258739  
Old 03-14-2016, 06:00 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
There is also a 3.73 available. Looks like payload increases from 2300 lb to 3300 lb with lower ratio. Don't understand it, but saw it comparing trucks on Dennisdillon ram website. Been trying to figure if something else also changes. Even used their "Live chat". Trailer towing seemed the same.
I think what is confusing about this is that the 3.73 is available but only for the gasoline engines. If you use Ram's "Build and Price" feature on their website you will find that selecting the Diesel engine option automatically selects the 3.42 ratio rear end. I also believe that in prior years there where different ratios available.

I have found the Turbo Diesel Register site to be of great help and if you are looking at a Ram diesel, I highly recommend stopping by.

Bruce

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/
Old 03-14-2016, 08:27 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Watervliet , Michigan
Bruce B: we can take this offline not to muddy up the thread but it took me a long time to figure out how to correctly setup my 1500 4 corner air suspension with a WDH. The paper manual does not include the procedure, and the procedure is important, nor can you find diddly on the Internet. Where the info resides is on Ram's web site where you can download the operator manuals. The online manual is far more extensive than the paper version and in the online manual is your answers how to. The online manual is prett straight forward for the 1500 but kind of lacking for the 2500 rear air. It does include the two seperate formulas for setting up the WDH but does seem as lacking in diecription for the 2500. What I think I have figured out is you use the exact procedure as the 1500, eg putting the air suspension in JACK mode etc, then follow the 1500 procedure but use the 2500 formula for initial setup. After the setup hooking up the 2500 should be the same as the description for the 1500. Hope that helps.

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote