Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2015, 10:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tallahassee , Florida
The pretty 16 y.o. trucks are SO WEAK WHY

See a cute red 1999 Ford F-150 - 2000 lb towing capacity
ADORABLE mint green 1998 Ford Expedition - 4000 lb towing capacity

WHY. And the towing capacities for a lot of the makes and models change from year to year, I had to make a spreadsheet of all of them to keep track.

1998 Ford Expedition XLT 4x4 - it's so pretty but I'm trying to get something that tows at least 5k lbs because I don't know how heavy my trailer is going to be until I get it.

Why are these older trucks so weak when it comes to towing power? That Expedition I linked is an XLT and a 4x4 - how does it not have enough towing capacity? It can basically pull it's own weight again and that's it.

I'm trying to find something that runs on gas and is a V8, has a backseat for the dog/friends, can tow at least 5k, and is safe and reliable and easy to drive (because I am 5 ft tall, trucks are not made for me AT ALL). Suggestions?
Old 12-17-2015, 10:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by starstruck08 View Post
See a cute red 1999 Ford F-150 - 2000 lb towing capacity
ADORABLE mint green 1998 Ford Expedition - 4000 lb towing capacity

WHY. And the towing capacities for a lot of the makes and models change from year to year, I had to make a spreadsheet of all of them to keep track.

1998 Ford Expedition XLT 4x4 - it's so pretty but I'm trying to get something that tows at least 5k lbs because I don't know how heavy my trailer is going to be until I get it.

Why are these older trucks so weak when it comes to towing power? That Expedition I linked is an XLT and a 4x4 - how does it not have enough towing capacity? It can basically pull it's own weight again and that's it.

I'm trying to find something that runs on gas and is a V8, has a backseat for the dog/friends, can tow at least 5k, and is safe and reliable and easy to drive (because I am 5 ft tall, trucks are not made for me AT ALL). Suggestions?
Hi, are you looking at the right specs for these vehicles? The Expedition you are looking at has the small 4.6 L engine and more than likely doesn't have a tow package. My 2000 Navigator is rated to tow 8,900 lbs. Most 5.4 L Expeditions have the same tow rating as my Navigator.

What are the specs on the F-150? Small V-6, tall gears, and no tow package? 2000 lbs sounds more like the receiver specs, not the tow rating.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Be careful with choosing a truck before the trailer, or you may limit yourself to something that you don't really prefer just because that's all the truck can handle.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:54 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Just so you know, 4x4 will reduce towing capacity by the amount the 4x4 equipment weighs.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by starstruck08 View Post
[snip]
You might want to list your priorities in order of importance.

Owning a trailer and tow vehicle is expensive, and it generally works out best if the tow vehicle is reliable, first, and also safe. Unless you know a particular 16-year old truck intimately well, it probably will not fit your "reliable" criteria. If you cannot afford a more reliable tow vehicle, you should probably re-think the timing of making your dreams real at this time.

Ditto to many of the other comments here, especially as they relate to putting your priorities in order, in particular knowing what trailer you intend to tow.

Good luck, but please don't be in a rush to buy anything right now, as haste really can make waste of one's dreams . . .

(in my opinion of course)
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 05:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
To get an older truck you may have to go to three quarter ton in order to get something comparable to today's half tons. Fifteen year old trucks were more basic in general than today's trucks.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 05:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
With an older 250 the ride is butt busting. For Starsruck there are many options that would suit her needs that are not a truck.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:39 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
With an older 250 the ride is butt busting. For Starsruck there are many options that would suit her needs that are not a truck.
GM offered a 2500 series Suburban during that time. Maybe one of those would be worth consideration.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
Agree, I was just pointing out that older trucks are more like trucks because one must go th three quarter to get a good tv. Not advocating it, I agree there are many other options for the op to consider. Some of us prefer a rough ride, most don't. Personal preference. Suburbans, etc are good options.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:32 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, are you looking at the right specs for these vehicles? The Expedition you are looking at has the small 4.6 L engine and more than likely doesn't have a tow package. My 2000 Navigator is rated to tow 8,900 lbs. Most 5.4 L Expeditions have the same tow rating as my Navigator.

What are the specs on the F-150? Small V-6, tall gears, and no tow package? 2000 lbs sounds more like the receiver specs, not the tow rating.
I'm trusting the Craigslist listers to not be lying to me, honestly? I would obviously double check specs if I went to check out the vehicles, but I pulled these vehicles from a search specifically for a V8 engine and the expedition I linked has a hitch in the pictures.

Also I did not know that a 4x4 was not helpful for towing! I figured it would have better control or grip on the road, but I didn't think about the weight slowing the truck down.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:36 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
Be careful with choosing a truck before the trailer, or you may limit yourself to something that you don't really prefer just because that's all the truck can handle.
I mean, that was the idea behind getting something that can tow at least 5-6k. Because the absolute largest trailer I would get would be 29 ft, and the ones from that era are all under 6k. My preference is also for a 10 year old truck. 15 years is my max.

I left all trucks/suvs off my excel sheet that didn't hit at least that number. 1998 Expedition is not on that list. 1999 is the earliest I can go for that model because it jumps from 4k to 6k towing power. I love that paint job but I'm not going to settle for less towing power just because it's pretty.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:16 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
"Why are these older trucks so weak when it comes to towing power?"

Technology of increased power WITH increased efficiency has come a LOOOOONG way in the last 10 - 15 years, that's why.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:29 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I towed my 25' truck with my 1997 F 150 for a while before I got a Dodge diesel. Tow rating was about 7300 lbs, I think. Trailer weighs 6300. It was that experience that made me get a 3/4 ton. The truck handled it directionally and ride wise just fine. The huge limiting factor was the brakes. That year Ford still had drum brakes on the rear and wimpy rotors on the front. I trashed 2 sets of rotors in less than a year and finally gave up and just drove it with the brakes vibrating. The engine was also under power for hills. I got down to 2nd on the interstate sometimes and 1st going into a hilly campground wondering if I was actually going to make it. My judgement was that the truck was not going to hold up to that kind of use. We got 9 to 10 mpg. We get 14-16 with the 2500 diesel.

From what I can see the new 150's are a whole lot different and better since I know people who have gone from a 3/4 Duramax back to a 150 for their 34' and like their new 150 better.

I guess what I am saying is I might tend to believe the lower tow ratings on the older 1/2 ton trucks.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:43 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I've owned two Ford Expeditions. A 1998 4.6 liter 4x4 version very similiar to the pretty blue one for sale on Craigslist and currently have the second generation 2003 model with the bigger 5.4 liter engine that I bought new.

Starting in 2003 Expeditions came with 4 wheel independent suspensions. All earlier models had a live real axle. The difference in driveability is huge. Combined with the high center of gravity and short wheelbase and live axle earlier models had a propensity to spin due to loss of rear traction, say going over raiload tracks. Four wheel independent suspension is modern and keeps the truck planted and makes it a good tow vehicle.

The tow rating is increased by addition of the factory tow package. Essentially it's an enlarged oil and transmission cooler and a much stouter weight distributing hitch. Also includes a 7 pin connector at the hitch. The larger 5.4 V8 will have the greatest tow capacity. Avoid the 4.6 liter V8.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:45 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
kscherzi pretty much nailed it.
My 2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition with the Tow Package easily handles the 25 foot Vintage Tradewind.
Some of the Expy 3rd row seats fold down into the floor, some come out completely. The second row folds flat to the floor. This gives you a bunch of space for all the camping stuff or room for dogs.

Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:47 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
kscjerzi offers good advice. If you're set on Ford, stick with the 5.4l V8, eliminate the 4.6 from consideration. I got extremely lucky and found a low-mile 2003 F150 with the 5.4, 4wd, 4-door (for the dogs) and find it does a good job with my 23' Airstream, even in the mountains.
silvertrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:48 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Since you mentioned not fitting in a truck how about a gently used Yukon or Tahoe. My '05 Yukon (with 200k miles) still pulls 5,000lbs with no problems, they look beautiful, and a 10 yr old Yukon/Tahoe can be had for around $7k. look into those maybe. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:12 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Attleboro , Massachusetts
I believe you can find tow ratings for older vehicles on Trailer Life website...
romeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:14 PM   #19
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Now don't rule a 4x4 tow vehicle out of the picture just yet. They are still very valuable tow vehicles. The comments pertained to the GVW simply being reduced a little due to the weight of the 4x4 components. It's probably in the neighborhood of 800-1000# or so. If you are careful with your load management there should be no problem staying within the specs. If you intend to stay in improved campgrounds & RV parks you can get away without a 4x4 vehicle but I can't. Too many times I've found myself on soft ground, wet grass etc. and with even a slight incline find myself slippin & sliddin. Then again there's the issue of living in the NE. The white stuff. Good luck with your search.

See ya on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:47 PM   #20
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
The main reason I buy 4X4 is for off all pavement use. This includes parking lots and campgrounds. Using 4X4 off pavement keeps flying gravel and rocks at bay. I also recommend Enkay Mud Flaps. I went to Alaska and back with no dings on the Airstream SS rock guards. Saves repair money.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote