Old 07-01-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
St. Louis , Missouri
Smile The mighty 4.3 v6

This is my first big trip with my 1971 27' Overlander. Since it's also my honeymoon I tried to take every precaution I could with my tow vehicle and 'stream. I got four new tires on the trailer, rebuilt the hubs, got some 10-ply Michelins for the back of my truck and picked up a hitch with sway control. My V6 Siverado had always been kind of a dog, so I checked into getting a new differential. Folks, I did and it was worth every penny. It came factory with 3:23s, which belong in an impala. For just over a grand I got a set of new 3:73s installed with a six month warranty. It pulls the trailer as fast as I would ever want to go with it (65 mph ramping up for a hill) and I almost never have to downshift out of 4th. I can cruise at 60mph at about 2,400 RPM and get this - I'm getting 12.6 mpg uphill without the air on. I'll be posting pics later of the half tun truck that could.

On the con side, it's still a light truck. The South Dakota wind has been pushing us around some. It just means you have to slow down, which is what this trip is all about for me and the new wife.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
The Grass Capital of the World , Oregon
man at the wheel

happy to hear newlyweds still rock a manual shift truck. If you get enough power on your ride to catch air over a steep bump, let me know what you did - we'll be on to something. (Wally made these out of aircraft design for a reason!)

Old 07-02-2010, 12:08 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
Wow, I had no idea it cost a grand to change the gears these days.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Sweet!

Look into your connection for some improvements. Wind should not be pushing you around with a Stream in tow.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I pulled my boat with the 4.3L V6 Vortec in my 95 Blazer for years, it worked great. It had the 3:73 stock. That setup weighed about the same as my 63 Overlander, but the Overlander tows much better in general (tandem axles instead of single, and my boat trailer had no brakes of any kind).

Road Ruler or some of the other experts can probably answer this question, but do you need a transmission cooler if you have a manual shift? I had one added to my automatic Blazer, and my current Tahoe automatic came with it stock on the towing package. It can make a big difference in transmission lifespan.

Congatulations on the nuptials and have a great honeymoon!
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post

Road Ruler or some of the other experts can probably answer this question, but do you need a transmission cooler if you have a manual shift?
Not an expert here utee just a "towing enthusiast". I have never heard of a manual tranny having a cooler but I guess it is possible???
Old 07-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #7
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Manual transmissions don't normally have a pump to circulate the fluid to a cooler.

An exception is the ZF S6-650 transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which I have in my 1999 F250.

Because manual transmissions lack a torque converter, they don't generate as much heat.

Tags
differential, silverado