Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Waco , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
And we have all those big HD dually diesel trucks on the road with very few bike paths.

To the OP:
Welcome to the forums! If you would like some first hand advice and knowledge about trucks, towing and Airstreams, I would like to invite you to come check out our club. We will be having some campouts very close to Waco in the next couple of months. Hope to see you at a campout soon!
Thanks for the invite. Looks like a fun club. We've been exploring the campgrounds within easy reach of Waco over the past years with our popup. Some of the nicest are actually the Corps of Engineers campgrounds right next door on Lake Waco which is only 15 minutes away but we do it anyway sometimes. Airport Park is an especially nice campground for Texas.

Last time I had the camper out was August when we did a week at Henderson Beach Park in Destin FL. Fall hits and camping weather finally descends on Texas but then we have 2 girls playing competitive soccer nearly every single weekend all through the fall so I spend my time driving up to Plano or Arlington for soccer matches instead of camping.
Texasdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
This is probably not what you're looking for, but I've seen a bunkhouse towed by a Chrysler 300 this last fall.

Not at all trying to talk you out of buying a truck if that's what you want, but there are other options as no doubt you know after reading the towing threads.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Waco , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
This is probably not what you're looking for, but I've seen a bunkhouse towed by a Chrysler 300 this last fall.

Not at all trying to talk you out of buying a truck if that's what you want, but there are other options as no doubt you know after reading the towing threads.
What I would probably want is something like a sturdy diesel land cruiser type of vehicle that gets good mileage, has lots of room inside, and the capacity to tow a decent sized airstream from here to Alaska and back. And that costs less than $40 grand.

But I've long ago given up expecting the marketplace to provide me with exactly what I want.

Hopefully I've got a long time to mull things over and shop around before needing to pull the trigger on a new vehicle. But if the Sienna dies tomorrow or runs into some major repair cost that I can't justify....like a new tranny, then I'm off to buy something new. Right now the F150 crew cab with the max payload and towing packages seems like a reasonable choice to tow most any airstream with a payload in the 2,000 lb range and a towing capacity in the 11,000 lb range. The 2015 models due out next spring or summer are supposed to shed 700 lbs or so which might increase their capacities even further. But there are a lot of other trucks to look at too, as well as a number of SUVs. The new Grand Cherokee perhaps and maybe the last remaining full size SUVs like the Sequoia and Suburban.

I don't see myself driving a Chrysler 300 or any other sedan for that matter. I need a truck bed or SUV hatch with fold down rear seats to carry the sort of loads I commonly carry, including the dog.
Texasdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
FWIW, IMHO, a half-ton crew cab is the best all-around vehicle- maybe it's my southern roots- pickups way outnumber cars here...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #45
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I don't see myself driving a Chrysler 300 or any other sedan for that matter. I need a truck bed or SUV hatch with fold down rear seats to carry the sort of loads I commonly carry, including the dog.

As that car can tow any A/S ever made, not so surprisingly it can also tow any of a vareity of utility trailers in a combination that can outperform nearly every pickup sold (such as a DRW diesel with 7k payload).

Read around here some more. Concerns about child safety on children bicycling to school are on track . . rollover statistics on pickups should have also caught your attention.

See all threads by Andrew_T for what we all used to do. As to TT size my folks bought a 28' Silver Streak when I was in high school. Kept it for more than a quarter century. And we travelled the U.S. pulling that TT with a luxury car. A sedan. The current 300 is a far more capable vehicle.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
In 30 years of driving pickups and SUV's I have so far managed to keep them upright- I don't foresee rolling over in the near future-
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 12-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
SW Florida , Florida
There is no question a diesel shines pulling a load as far as longevity,power and to a lesser extent fuel mileage . Ten years ago when diesel was cheaper than gas it was a no brainer. I have seen diesel as much as 70 cents a gallon higher last month. For the last twelve years I drove a diesel truck.... now pulling the airstream I drive a gas. For me the decision was correct. A gas power plant makes power at a higher RPM the newer six speed transmissions let you control this somewhat. If I were selecting a truck now the only change would be move from a 3.73 rear axel to a ratio in the 4's. I like to pull at 60 mph and somewhere is the 2200 rpm range. Lower gearing ( higher numerical ) would help achieve this.

Graduate of 1968 SE Asia school of jungle warfare Duc Pho campus
tailpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #48
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
I find it interesting that the Chrysler 300 is mentioned so often. Especially "The current 300 is a far more capable vehicle" statement since choice is a complex set of factors.

Consumer Reports says the six cylinder model is above average reliability but the eight is below. Would I be wrong to assume the 300 promoters are suggesting the 8 cylinder, 5 speed model as a TV, but using the 6 model's rating?

The eight cylinder gets around 18 mpg on average (not towing) and has a 19 gallon fuel tank. My 2500 HD has a 34 gallon tank and gets 13.5 towing so timing fuel stops becomes a consideration factor whenever traveling the wide open spaces. I have a hundred mile buffer between the two.

Maybe I have it wrong but capability also means cargo capacity without adding another trailer to the inventory. That trunk might hold a few grocery bags but hauling a propane tank or two into town so I don' t have to take the trailer too is out of the question. The backseat certainly won't hold my dogs or our 6'8" kid comfortably. Where do you put the load of fire wood, the big Igloo cooler, inflatable kayak, etc., for a short, big party weekend?

Driving to Chaco? That road was easily conquered but I shudder to think about the challenge a luxury car suspension would endure.

Back to 1500 vs 2500!
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I think the Chrysler 300 discussing is mainly driven by the recent Airstream Life article. In there the author goes into great detail to explain how and why with factual backup. Everything has compromise's. The unhitched sedan is great for getting around in a urbanized environment. The 3/4 ton truck, not so good for that, but great for hauling motorcycles. Just depends where you are in life and what you want to do with your free time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Airstream Forums mobile app
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Chrysler 300?
Very hard to haul a ATV ,motorcycle and or the gear that most require( or desired ) for cross country Airstream adventures.Cars are great for minimalists or short trips but when I get away from the crowds and boondock I can not do without my truck.Everyone has a different use for there trailer.I do enjoy Elk hunting in the Rocky mountains so I have to have a 2up ATV along so a car is out.The 1/2 ton pickup and their short boxes and light payloads are not a option.When I boon dock I have two Honda gens,gas cans ,water jugs,fishing gear,large coolers and emergency equipment along with up to three passengers and their gear.My 2012 F350 6.7 turbo diesel crewcab 4x4 long 8ft box fits the bill for me.But I understand my idea of Airstream adventures are different than most.Gold prospecting out west or up in Alaska requires more that a car or minivan or light duty truck.Staying a month at the Boundary Waters Canoe Area in MN requires a 4x4 (dirt roads and rain)and plenty of gear and food reserves.You can not go where I go with the before mentioned vehicles and have a enjoyable trip.I also drive my truck as my primary vehicle and see that some people on this forum think that this is a cumbersome choice of vehicle but I do not agree.I always park away from the crowds and enjoy the walk.So for me this is the ultimate tow vehicle as I have tried the light duty vehicles and it did not work for my travels.

But every one has a different idea of a Airstream adventure.........
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #51
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
The view from my parking spot is breath taking a the BWCA in MN but putting my Airstream up here is not for light duty tow vehicles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0491.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	529.9 KB
ID:	202365  
Old 12-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It would be great to have a 4WD 1 ton crew cab 8' box pickup so I could take my Harley with me, but I ain't got no money.
4 payments left on my 2WD 1/2 ton crew cab 5.5' box pickup- so that's what we'll use- ain't got no money and don't want no debt.
We can always dream- or say "if I hit paydirt"-
April 23, 2014- that's the day I'm lookin' for. These notes are whoopin' me like Mike Tyson- these notes are makin' me tired- these notes done jumped on my back and bit my ear off-
The best Airstream adventure is "paid for".
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 12-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
The view from my parking spot is breath taking a the BWCA in MN but putting my Airstream up here is not for light duty tow vehicles
I've spent a lot of time in the Boundary Waters and back trails of Minnesota. The last thing I would want to venture in with is a long wheelbase truck, unless I was prepared to walk out.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #54
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I've spent a lot of time in the Boundary Waters and back trails of Minnesota. The last thing I would want to venture in with is a long wheelbase truck, unless I was prepared to walk out.
I have been going there doug for 31 years and we own the property in the picture.If you need advice or lessons on how to maneuver up there let me know.LOL
Old 12-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
I have been going there doug for 31 years and we own the property in the picture.If you need advice or lessons on how to maneuver up there let me know.LOL
No lessons needed, been in Minnesota for 68 years.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #56
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post

As that car can tow any A/S ever made, ...
FYI, Chrysler 300 is rated to tow 1000#. A 31 ft Airstream Classic has a GVWR of 10,000#.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
That tow rating a relevant point seemingly conveniently overlooked by some folks. Even if it was a number pulled out of the air, the 10 times the load concept definitely puts more stresses on the entire vehicle's frame and driveline than it was ever designed to handle.

Living with the long term consequences of poor decisions based upon wishful thinking can be a major life challenge.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Unless one would be involved in the design of the vehicle, or had the skills to deduct from observation, we have no way of knowing what stresses this vehicle can or cannot handle in the real world. The low tow rating means nothing, if not backed up by data.

What we do know is that the vehicle can handle a top speed of 155mph, a speed that puts substantial stresses on engine, drive train and body.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #59
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Next time I tow my trailer with my one ton truck with the scooters and camping supplies in the bed, I bet I will not care if your tow vehicle will go that fast. How fast will it go with 2500 pounds in the rear seat and trunk? You cannot make a car into a truck or a truck into a car! Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Top speed is a moot point as far as I'm concerned. If 70 is the top speed it goes fast enough for me.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955