Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2013, 07:19 AM   #101
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Excuse me, but it is the anti truck people who hijack these threads. The mods should pay closer attention. I know they can only do so much, but this is a common problem. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:35 AM   #102
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
rostam... To sum up...... There are a number of us that have been, and are towing with cars.
What you are saying is that... "what we have been doing successfully for decades is not possible".
Enough already...... now back on track with the truck discussion.
To Sum up... I would love to see a Chrysler 300 that has been towing a 10,000# Airstream for decades. Unfortunately, non exists...... now back on track with the truck discussion.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
About the ideal truck, in my opinion that would be one that will easily tow the largest trailer you ever intend to have, over the steepest, highest mountain pass in the continent, pull 1.8G's on the slolom course, accelerate from 0 to 60mph in 3.2 seconds, all while riding like a luxury sedan and making 34mpg on regular gasoline.

When you find one like this, please let me know.

The truth of the matter, however, is the ideal truck will differ greatly depending on the owner/user's needs. As an example, a retired couple who either full-time, or travel extensively, will have greatly different needs than one that takes occasional weekend camping trips and drives the truck to work daily.

Additionally, optional equipment on a truck will vary greatly depending on the owners needs, such as we need a camper cover to be able to haul securely the things that we do, while others might want an open bed for frequent around the house hauling chores.

Sorry about the long post, but the fact of the matter is the ideal multi-use truck will be the one that best fits your needs.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #104
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
We bought a 1500 Silverado new in 04 and didn't own a TT of any kind but we did configure it for towing just in case. Now 4 TTs later we are ordering a new Silverado. We try to consider what we may do and in our lives it's more traveling. We pull a 30' Classic and a car trailer long distances so we opted for the diesel 3/4 ton since we will have it 10 years or more. Pick the brand you like, evaluate your long term plans and buy what you and your lady like best.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Airstream Forums mobile app
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #105
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
"Experience" is moot. A non-starter. It goes to "fault" which is also a non-starter. Any comparison of articulated rigs comes down to specific scenarios. And any driver may on any day range terribly wide in nearing correct solutions. Risk minimization is about design which trumps variables.

". . My bet is that most current pickup trucks with still out handle most of the travel trailers being pulled.

We're on a forum featuring ARSTREAM travel trailers. Do we need to go into the differences between these and the leaf-sprung SOB's? The differences are profound where it matters.

Take most any pickup and research slalom speeds. Then, take a look at videos and other over at the CAN AM site to look what an A/S can do. A pickup is the worst choice for accident avoidance. And for braking. Given a particular TT these are what matter where hitch lash-up is optimized.

"Ratings" are about profit. Not what can be done. And have no force of law. Keep within tire/wheel and FA or RA specs otherwise. A 1,000-lb TW will, after proper WD, show around 750-lbs on the TV. Around 375-lbs per axle isn't going to be some terrible challenge.

And if one doesn't want a Charger/300, then there are minivans or other types with fully independent suspension which can do the job. There is a descending list, from ideal to barely capable.

A pickup is dead last. Maybe only the out-of-production FORD Excursion is worse (and I've found nothing so far). A pickup used as TV is the weak link in the chain where stability is sought. The choice of one is fraught with compromises that "experience" and "skill" will not overcome.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #106
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
I keep seeing the same Can Am truck haters club post over and over...Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

This thread reads " the ideal multi-use truck" not car or minivan
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #107
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
"Experience" is moot. A non-starter. It goes to "fault" which is also a non-starter. Any comparison of articulated rigs comes down to specific scenarios. And any driver may on any day range terribly wide in nearing correct solutions. Risk minimization is about design which trumps variables.

". . My bet is that most current pickup trucks with still out handle most of the travel trailers being pulled.

We're on a forum featuring ARSTREAM travel trailers. Do we need to go into the differences between these and the leaf-sprung SOB's? The differences are profound where it matters.

Take most any pickup and research slalom speeds. Then, take a look at videos and other over at the CAN AM site to look what an A/S can do. A pickup is the worst choice for accident avoidance. And for braking. Given a particular TT these are what matter where hitch lash-up is optimized.

"Ratings" are about profit. Not what can be done. And have no force of law. Keep within tire/wheel and FA or RA specs otherwise. A 1,000-lb TW will, after proper WD, show around 750-lbs on the TV. Around 375-lbs per axle isn't going to be some terrible challenge.

And if one doesn't want a Charger/300, then there are minivans or other types with fully independent suspension which can do the job. There is a descending list, from ideal to barely capable.

A pickup is dead last. Maybe only the out-of-production FORD Excursion is worse (and I've found nothing so far). A pickup used as TV is the weak link in the chain where stability is sought. The choice of one is fraught with compromises that "experience" and "skill" will not overcome.

Ok, I will leave it at this: we will have to agree to disagree. Because I disagree with almost every point you make on this particular subject.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #108
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
"Cars" are great if you don't mind the smell of gasoline from the generators and spare fuel tanks in the back seat or the lovely aroma of stale grease from the grill.

Since the suspension was designed for some specified number of pieces of luggage and 4,5 or 6 people depending on the vehicle in question, then fill the seats and add whatever fits in the trunk plus the hitch weight is okay?

Now add the boat to the roof along with some bicycles. Is it top heavy yet, has the sail area been increased to get more side push from winds or trucks? Where does all that stuff in the car get securely stored while unhitched? Oh, carry it in and out of the trailer multiple times a day.

Just wondering.

I can leave the heavy valuable items in the back of my pickup truck under the bed cap and remove them only when ended. I do not smell gasoline and grease from the grill in the cab of the truck.

But, that is my preference. All of us defines the tow mission and has to live with the results of those decisions.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #109
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Mods, this thread has been hijacked! Jim
Old 12-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #110
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Ok, to try to bring this back from being hijacked, I would submit to you all that the original concept of the thread, which is "one truck that can meet all conceivable multi-uses, is flawed. That is what I was trying to allude to in my earlier post about matching the truck to the job at hand, which is why we have a Frontier and a F350 Dually.
The tow vehicles requirements for a 16' Airstream seem to me to be somewhat different than what is needed to pull a 34' triple axle.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
The original poster says he plans on getting a 27 to 30' Airstream. Wouldn't have to be a Diesel, but because of the weight, I would go with a 3/4 ton, or at a minimum, a 1/2 ton with the max towing package along with the max payload package.

YMMV
Old 12-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
The most adaptable ideal truck would be something like the F-450 Supercrew dually diesel (Platinum model). It'll take the kids to soccer, pull a 22,000 lb fifth wheel, and everything else in between.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #113
1 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
FORD Ecoboost tow spec

Suggest if considering an F150 ecoboost V6 for pulling that you read a test edmonds.com did comparing this unit with the new RAM 1500.
Ford is claimed to have upped the tow capacity of their V6 by 800 lbs without changing anything once the RAM V6 was available. Edmonds tested both units with an Airstream rated to <100 lbs of the RAM rating then the Ford to <100 lbs of the new standard. See what they said if considering a V6.

We had almost identical car-like expectations from a truck when not pulling a trailer and for that reason chose the gas.

80% of all mechanical wear occurs in the first 20% of use which eliminated the diesel for us. With the amount of cold weather we experience on the Canadian prairies we likely shouldn't use the truck as a car in the winter based on the above percentages. That and the fact of the premium price for the diesel option and that gas/diesel pricing in Canada is almost identical. If we were to pull the majority of the time perhaps we would done differently.

Our choice was for a 2013 RAM 1500 V8 hemi with 8sp ZF automatic and 3.92 puling gears to haul a 30' International Serenity and it does that job just fine. A smaller trailer and different gears be possible improving the car use fuel economy. Our RAM is as quiet as any luxury car with a luxury ride as a bonus. The now available 3.0 litre diesel has similar torque to the hemi but would have to do the economic feasibility of the option to decide if it made sense.
arstrmlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #114

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by arstrmlvr View Post
Suggest if considering an F150 ecoboost V6 for pulling that you read a test edmonds.com did comparing this unit with the new RAM 1500.

Ford is claimed to have upped the tow capacity of their V6 by 800 lbs without changing anything once the RAM V6 was available. Edmonds tested both units with an Airstream rated to <100 lbs of the RAM rating then the Ford to <100 lbs of the new standard. See what they said if considering a V6.

Your interpretation of the Edmunds article is mistaken, and does not apply to the Ford Ecoboost. While the Ecoboost is in fact mentioned once in passing, the truck Edmunds tested and compared to the V6 Ram was the normally-aspirated V6 base engine, NOT the Ecoboost.

The Ecoboost is comparable to the Hemi both in output and in its position in the range.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:11 AM   #115
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Perhaps a military model HumVee would work. It has a wide stance, power, seats a bunch of folks, and is armor plated to deflect all the negative comments.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:59 AM   #116
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Ram 2013 2500 diesel. Not much bigger than a Ford F-150 or Ram 1500, gets 20+ miles per gallon on freeway, very comfortable.

Throw a nice ARE topper on it with Mega Cab and life is Great!

If your going with a F-150/1500 - I strongly suggest folks check out the Ram 2500HD. In diesel version, very comfortable, great mileage, not much bigger than a 1/2 ton, and better mileage if you need 400+ lbs torque (unless you get a Ram 1500 diesel or 5.7 Hemi)....
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:23 AM   #117
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Perhaps a military model HumVee would work. It has a wide stance, power, seats a bunch of folks, and is armor plated to deflect all the negative comments.
How many does it seat? 6-8?
It will only go 60?
How much does it cost? $100,000?
I guess that's good enough.
Imagine that- a tow vehicle as wide or wider than the trailer!
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:30 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
Ram 2013 2500 diesel. Not much bigger than a Ford F-150 or Ram 1500, gets 20+ miles per gallon on freeway, very comfortable.

Throw a nice ARE topper on it with Mega Cab and life is Great!

If your going with a F-150/1500 - I strongly suggest folks check out the Ram 2500HD. In diesel version, very comfortable, great mileage, not much bigger than a 1/2 ton, and better mileage if you need 400+ lbs torque (unless you get a Ram 1500 diesel or 5.7 Hemi)....
JFS ... not sure just how stripped down your Ram diesel is, but no one around here gets 20+ mpg on the freeway unless the emissions package has been stripped off (voiding warranty) of the late model Cummins / Rams and they are traveling under 50 mph. We certainly do NOT get that in our Ram 2500 Cummins.

Don't get me wrong the 2500 is an excellent tow vehicle and with the HD suspension AND brakes is likely much safer and better handling while connected to a TT than many other TV choices ... but great fuel economy is not a forte... creature comfort, however, is a strong point.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:29 PM   #119
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I have gotten 20 mpg with my 07 one ton cummins. Flat ground, tailwind in Florida. 18 is easy to get at no more than 65 mpg. None of this is towing og course. 16 towing a light weight Avion at 65 mph is what I get on the flats, drops to 15 in the mountains. Jim
Old 12-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I only get 10-12 mpg towing with my Toyota, but I ain't spendin' $60,000 on a truck to improve fuel economy by 2-3 mpg!
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote