Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2007, 09:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
The Duramax rattle/clunk

My 2006 Duramax has 21K miles and has had an annoying clunk in the front suspension for some time, most notable while turning over rough pavement. Took it to the dealer Monday and they said "bad steering sector" and replaced it. Took it back this morning because the problem is worse. This afternoon they tell me they are at a loss and have called GM for help. I Googled Durmax bump and found a lot of info indicating this problem has been around for several years and GM has not fixed it yet.

Several months ago I had a driveline clunk. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the entire 2 piece drive shaft. Googled this today also and found that GM is now replacing the slip yoke with one that is nickel plated. I stilll have a small clunk in the driveline and just assumed this is normal.

Now, are any of you DA owners having these problems? If so, were they fixed to your satisfaction and how?

Thanks

Greg
Roadtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Try searching for "intermediate shaft" at the following sites:
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/index.php

GM-Diesel.com - powered by vBulletin

Diesel Place - Duramax Diesel Discussion Forums

All are forums with plenty of help.
GM knows they have a design problem, and they are not doing anything about it because they say it is not a "safety concern".
There gets to be a few thousandths wear in the front end and steering column, and the rattle develops...worse in cold weather...and you can spend lots of dollars after the warranty expires on it, or live with it until or unless GM decides they have to do something about it.
At least that was the answer last time I looked and that was about 40,000 miles ago.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:19 AM   #3
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
i fixed both my clunks, the rear was fixed by installing the huge one piece aluminum drive shaft and rubber overload spring snubbers.

the front i did myself by splitting the steering shaft and packing it with heavy lithium grease.

no clunks from either end for quite a while now.

john
Old 08-16-2007, 05:28 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
the front i did myself by splitting the steering shaft and packing it with heavy lithium grease.
John, is this the small U-joint at the base of the steering column? If so, it's been a known issue on the GM front-drive cars for many years, and the fix is to remove it, grease it, and reinstall it. It makes a rumbling popping sound as the wheel is turned.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Picked up the truck this afternoon. They claim the GM fix of a new shaft and bearing will do the trick. Also say they installed the bearing incorrectly the first time which is why the problem did not go away. Definitely better now but who knows what the future has in store.

Greg
Old 08-16-2007, 05:13 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I wonder if this is something not exclusive to the Duramax. From what I've read, it would seem to me that any GM truck, maybe even 1/2 ton could develop this issue in the front steering.

Like John, I had a clunk in the rear springs too. Took it in to the dealer before the warranty ran out and they replaced the spacers on the leafs in the rear and it's gone now. I only have about 11k on it right now, so it sounds to me I have some things to look forward to.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:19 PM   #7
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Thanks for the heads up. I have about same milage on my 2006 Silverado. Have not noticed anything unusual, but now I will keep my ears open. Wish we could define "clunk" better. Was it very obvious?

Cheers

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 08-16-2007, 05:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Very obvious. I could feel it and hear it. If you have it you will know it.

Greg
Old 08-16-2007, 06:37 PM   #9
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
John, is this the small U-joint at the base of the steering column? If so, it's been a known issue on the GM front-drive cars for many years, and the fix is to remove it, grease it, and reinstall it. It makes a rumbling popping sound as the wheel is turned.
nope, it is the sliding shaft that goes thru the fire wall.

it is the one designed to collapse in the event of a collision.

easy fix, take it apart, grease, reinstall.

i was gonna drill and tap it for a zerk but i am too lazy.

john
Old 08-16-2007, 07:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Hmmm... ~54K on my (early, LB7) 2004 and no clunking. It makes lots of other steering kind of noises. Is yours 4WD, long, short bed, CC or regular cab?
-KL
Old 08-16-2007, 07:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
I've noticed the same problem with my '06 with 35K on it. Will have my dealer address this with the next service date and report back. Thanks for the info on the recent fix. Please keep us posted if the symptoms return.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:19 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback
Hmmm... ~54K on my (early, LB7) 2004 and no clunking. It makes lots of other steering kind of noises. Is yours 4WD, long, short bed, CC or regular cab?
-KL

2006 LBZ CC short box 2wd auto
Old 08-16-2007, 09:28 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Yup, my 2002 1500 has the steering column rattle/clunk. If you spend any time at all on a GM pickup forum, you'll hear complaints about it, seems like most if not all models.
I've been living with mine since I know what it is, I plan on doing the zerk fitting thing.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
2004 2500HD CrewCab:
Replaced R & L rear view mirrors due to vibration
4 trips to dealer because truck died-finally replaced crank sensor to fix
Steering rattle: "shaft loose"- "steering intermediate replaced"
Wiper module replaced
Mirror sensor (temperature stuck) replaced
Passenger window motor slow- fixed or replaced
Passenger door hard to close- re-aligned
-----All done within the 1st year of ownership------

The following occurs after warranty period:
Speedometer inaccurate- replaced entire module: $400 part
Steering rattle turns to clunk: replaced shaft $150
Check engine light sensor goes out: replace $100
ABS motor dies: $700 part

On the last trip to the mechanic, with the ABS problem, he suggested trying to get GM to pay for the part given our history of repairs. My husband called GM, told him we weren't under warranty but had had enough problems with our truck to warrant the reimbursement of a 3 year old ABS motor going out. He said to have the dealer diagnose and he will see what he can do. A hundred extra dollars later, with a dealer diagnosis in hand, he says, "Sorry you aren't under warranty, we can't do anything".

My husband spoke to someone else above him, was told the same thing, and eventually we received $200 towards our next maintenance visit. I'm pretty disgusted with GM's customer service. I have been raised on GM, I bought GM, and now? Too bad I really love my truck.

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:14 PM   #15
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I wonder if this is something not exclusive to the Duramax. From what I've read, it would seem to me that any GM truck, maybe even 1/2 ton could develop this issue in the front steering.

Had the "steering knuckle" replaced in our 01 Burb, O4 Burb (both 1/2 tons), and now the 06 D/A.
Yup-it is common to pretty much all GM trucks and from my experience (2 different dealers) they are well aware of it and fixed it readily. Once fixed, it has never re-occurred (For us).

Bill
Old 08-17-2007, 01:14 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
2001hd ext. cab short bed:

In 68,000 miles I have only had an A/C vent replaced under warranty due to one of the vanes falling out repeatedly when I tried to adjust it. My truck must have been built in the middle of the week. I have a rear differential pinion seal that has been slightly leaking, no spots in the driveway, and I pick up the pinion seal tomorrow morning for an early morning repair at the house. On the other hand, I know of one guy who had an Allison transmission, heater core, driveshaft and numerous other parts replaced on his '01 2500hd but it must have been built on a Monday or Friday, right?

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:27 PM   #17
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Have you driven a Foooord, lately?
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon
Have you driven a Foooord, lately?
Yep, 'til the cruise control burned it down....
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrvr
My 2006 Duramax has 21K miles and has had an annoying clunk in the front suspension for some time, most notable while turning over rough pavement. Took it to the dealer Monday and they said "bad steering sector" and replaced it. Took it back this morning because the problem is worse. This afternoon they tell me they are at a loss and have called GM for help. I Googled Durmax bump and found a lot of info indicating this problem has been around for several years and GM has not fixed it yet.

Several months ago I had a driveline clunk. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the entire 2 piece drive shaft. Googled this today also and found that GM is now replacing the slip yoke with one that is nickel plated. I stilll have a small clunk in the driveline and just assumed this is normal.

Now, are any of you DA owners having these problems? If so, were they fixed to your satisfaction and how?

Thanks

Greg
Took mine into the dealer today for a fix. They knew exactly what I was talking about and "replaced the steering shaft with updated design" (to quote the service receipt) and all under warranty. It works fine now.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:27 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ellis Grove , Illinois
02Clunk

Got the same front end clunk on my 02 Duramax that I bought new. Had the noise since day one. Ben to three dealers and they can not find any problem? They deney any recall. It has not got worse or better, just living with it. Too expensive to replace this kind of truck every couple of years. Used to buy houses for that kind of price.
KANEHILL is offline   Reply With Quote