Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2017, 07:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Thanks to our Tundra

Have been away for awhile while we got our move to the East Texas woods out of the way.

Got the Airstream parked next to our cabin in the woods and very happy with our surroundings.

All was great until Monday afternoon when our beloved Tundra got rear ended, hard. The other driver never braked and hit us at 35-40 mph as we stopped waiting for oncoming traffic to clear so we could turn left into a parking lot. We were in the left lane of the two southbound lanes, with the directional lights on

We are fortunately, unscathed despite the force of the impact. I have been a big fan of our 2011 Tundra ever since I towed our Airstream home with it 6 years ago, but now I am truly in awe of the strength and build of our truck.

We are going to have to have some pretty extensive work done replacing the tailgate, trailer hitch, leaf springs, and the passenger side back quarter panel and perhaps the floor of the bed..... but we really feel like the sturdiness of the truck saved us from being injured.

PD says she has insurance despite not carrying proof... state database says that car has insurance

details to follow
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Wow, what bad news to read. Glad you guys are OK I'm surprised the Tundra wasn't totaled. Hope the repairs go well and you guys don't experience any delayed heath issues. Hope you get back on the road soon.

Kelvin
Old 04-11-2017, 09:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Thank god your wheels weren't turned left during impact...good driving skills Goal15. One day, i phones will not work while moving except gps. This cannot happen soon enough. These Tundra's are tough enough to tow the space shuttle. I'm sure the other vehicle was totaled. 35-40 mph impact and you guys shook it off...either your tough as nails, or someone upstairs is protecting you. Glad you are ok.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Wow, what bad news to read. Glad you guys are OK I'm surprised the Tundra wasn't totaled. Hope the repairs go well and you guys don't experience any delayed heath issues. Hope you get back on the road soon.

Kelvin

Kelvin

Thanks

Time will tell on the damage to the Tundra when an adjuster looks at it. Parts alone at this point look to be in the 6k range. Blue book is about 16k on the truck so I'm hopeful that it can be repaired without totaling it

We hadn't planned on much camping this year but wanted it to be by choice not necessity

Dana
Old 04-11-2017, 09:15 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Glad your OK! Bet your both sore from the impact.

I like the Tundra...If I ever go back to gas towing it will be with a Tundra. Best truck built period...wish they would beef it up a bit and add a diesel option. I would be first in line!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:11 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
So glad that you are both okay! Take extra good care of yourself for a few days!
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:27 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
Kelvin

Thanks

Time will tell on the damage to the Tundra when an adjuster looks at it. Parts alone at this point look to be in the 6k range. Blue book is about 16k on the truck so I'm hopeful that it can be repaired without totaling it

We hadn't planned on much camping this year but wanted it to be by choice not necessity

Dana
Glad to hear you are OK. Depending on what you want, if it could go either way. Remember that when your vehicle is repaired that in is available to everyone viz Carfax and when you go to sell it you lose value cuz it has a 'bad carfax'.
denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Love my Tundra.
Hope it never gets rear-ended.
Probably less expensive to repair than if the Airstream had gotten rear-ended, though.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I just purchased a 2015 Tundra.
Glad to hear it took good care of you.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:57 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by denton View Post
Glad to hear you are OK. Depending on what you want, if it could go either way. Remember that when your vehicle is repaired that in is available to everyone viz Carfax and when you go to sell it you lose value cuz it has a 'bad carfax'.

Well considering my intention is to keep it for the next 20 years that's the least of my worries at this point
Old 04-12-2017, 12:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Might have my Tundra for 15-20 MORE years or all of them.
It's 10 years old now and in excellent condition.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:14 PM   #12
short suff

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Gallatin , Tennessee
Tundra

Being a Toyota dealer and an Airstream owner it is great to hear all the great comments on Tundra. So happy you are ok. Depending on the miles and condition as Denton said it could be worth less money when you go to replace it because of the Carfax. Since it is the other persons fault you can ask for diminished value and maybe get a little money to offset the loss later. Best of luck and hope you fair well.
short stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Glad you made it thru the rear-ending. (I got hit by a lady texting at 70 mph in a Class A MH pulling a race-car on a trailer. I was in a Jeep Cherokee and woke up in the back covered in glass. She didn't even get a ticket. Her husband was a famous race-car driver and the cop said I shouldn't have stopped for a dog in the road. We had the same ins. co. so they blamed me based on the cop's report for stopping for a dog. I'm pretty sure that was to protect their profits in case I was seriously injured as my own ins. medical payments would be far less than their exposure if she'd been found at fault.)

Anyway... I'm sure the Tundra is a fine truck. But in a rear-end accident any vehicle with lots of crushable rear-end is preferable to a short car. P/U Trucks are notoriously bad protection for occupants in almost any other scenario, however. The latest models are better due to side air bags and other recent improvements.

A friend's vehicle was totaled when someone else was at-fault and that ins. co. only wanted to pay "blue book" values for the several-years old loss. My friend hired an attorney and pointed out certain customized features of the totaled vehicle...and argued that my friend was not the offending party and demanded to be "made whole". Ultimately the ins. co. paid a custom-refurbishment shop to completely overhaul/rebuild his vehicle to like-new condition including frame/paint/interior/glass/suspension (not including engine/trans). It cost almost as much as a new vehicle, but the argument worked.

Good luck.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:43 PM   #14
UnklJoe

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Thumbs up Like My Tundra, Too!

I REALLY like my Tundra, too (2013 Platinum Extended Crew Cab). I REALLY hate to let it go (just bought it in November, 2016), but after our first trip to Arizona, New Mexico, Utah and across Colorado on US 50 towing our FC 28 I just need more umph and engine braking. If Toyota had a diesel option for the Tundra I might consider buying new--and fight to get to the front of the line, too. It did SO well going north from Phoenix to Flagstaff on I-17, never dropped below third gear on the uphill grades. But the grades on US 50 in Colorado were another story, and I couldn't keep my transmission from upshifting--and then downshifting, and upshifting, and downshifting and ....--when I hit traffic or got behind slow vehicles on a couple of 7% uphill grades. And while I used the trailer brakes and manually downshifted during downhill grades there were a couple of times on long grades where I was using my truck brakes more than I would have liked and felt a little fade.

I'm very happy to hear the truck protected you so well! Mine rides and drives extremely well, and with the rear seat folded down there's plenty of room for our three Standard poodles. I'm very sorry to have to trade it, but I'm getting nearly what I paid for it (I've kept the miles down) and I just need more torque and engine braking and the ability to control my transmission gear changes to prevent "beating" my engine (I think I'm a little more savvy than the truck's computer(s) when it comes to shifting and anticipating shifts (up and down)). If I could get that from a Tundra--I'd be a VERY happy camper.

And, if we had a 25' AS, I'd probably be okay. Or if I was towing primarily on Interstates, and East of the Big Muddy. But, I live in--and LOVE--the West and like to travel US- and state highways, not Interstates. And they're not always multi-lane or grade-friendly.

I can only hope my Ram 3500 will be what I'm expecting. Never been a Dodge/Ram fan, and this will be my first diesel.... I have read, literally, hundreds of posts about diesel tow vehicles on AirForums and am convinced this is the right path--for now.

Here's hoping you can get your Tundra repaired to your satisfaction, and--again--happy to hear you, and they, are so safe! Wish I could keep mine.
UnklJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #15
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Glad you weren't injured.

We have a 2014 Tundra with the upgraded crew cab and really like it.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:04 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plover , Wisconsin
Talking Which TT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnklJoe View Post
I REALLY like my Tundra, too (2013 Platinum Extended Crew Cab).
What were you pulling?
Oxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnklJoe View Post
I REALLY like my Tundra, too (2013 Platinum Extended Crew Cab). I REALLY hate to let it go (just bought it in November, 2016), but after our first trip to Arizona, New Mexico, Utah and across Colorado on US 50 towing our FC 28 I just need more umph and engine braking. If Toyota had a diesel option for the Tundra I might consider buying new--and fight to get to the front of the line, too. It did SO well going north from Phoenix to Flagstaff on I-17, never dropped below third gear on the uphill grades. But the grades on US 50 in Colorado were another story, and I couldn't keep my transmission from upshifting--and then downshifting, and upshifting, and downshifting and ....--when I hit traffic or got behind slow vehicles on a couple of 7% uphill grades. And while I used the trailer brakes and manually downshifted during downhill grades there were a couple of times on long grades where I was using my truck brakes more than I would have liked and felt a little fade.

I'm very happy to hear the truck protected you so well! Mine rides and drives extremely well, and with the rear seat folded down there's plenty of room for our three Standard poodles. I'm very sorry to have to trade it, but I'm getting nearly what I paid for it (I've kept the miles down) and I just need more torque and engine braking and the ability to control my transmission gear changes to prevent "beating" my engine (I think I'm a little more savvy than the truck's computer(s) when it comes to shifting and anticipating shifts (up and down)). If I could get that from a Tundra--I'd be a VERY happy camper.

And, if we had a 25' AS, I'd probably be okay. Or if I was towing primarily on Interstates, and East of the Big Muddy. But, I live in--and LOVE--the West and like to travel US- and state highways, not Interstates. And they're not always multi-lane or grade-friendly.

I can only hope my Ram 3500 will be what I'm expecting. Never been a Dodge/Ram fan, and this will be my first diesel.... I have read, literally, hundreds of posts about diesel tow vehicles on AirForums and am convinced this is the right path--for now.

Here's hoping you can get your Tundra repaired to your satisfaction, and--again--happy to hear you, and they, are so safe! Wish I could keep mine.

We only pull a Safari 23 so we have plenty of truck up hill and on 7 percent downhills the sport shifting option means if I touch truck brakes 3 times it's very unusual
Old 04-19-2017, 03:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Took the Tundra to the body shop today. Waiting for Allstate's adjuster to have a look see. Hoping for the best, reluctantly preparing for the worst

Dana
Old 05-10-2017, 04:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Well . . . Sometimes life sucks. Tundra was total led by Allstate. The ends of frame where receiver is attached were badly damaged and because Toyota puts VIN numbers on frames it could not be replaced. So we are looking for a replacement Tundra. Allstate made us a fair offer but I was able to increase it nearly $1000 by challenging the market value provided by the third party valuation firm by finding my own comps after they did a hasty and not apples to apples job. I would counsel other Tundra owners to be aware of the VIN/frame issue and insure your truck for full replacement value instead of actual cash value

Dana
Old 05-10-2017, 06:01 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
Well . . . Sometimes life sucks. Tundra was total led by Allstate. The ends of frame where receiver is attached were badly damaged and because Toyota puts VIN numbers on frames it could not be replaced. So we are looking for a replacement Tundra. Allstate made us a fair offer but I was able to increase it nearly $1000 by challenging the market value provided by the third party valuation firm by finding my own comps after they did a hasty and not apples to apples job. I would counsel other Tundra owners to be aware of the VIN/frame issue and insure your truck for full replacement value instead of actual cash value

Dana
Hi Dana,

Sorry to hear about the truck being "totaled". Still glad you and all are okay which is obviously the most important thing to come of this accident. Take care.

Chris
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote