Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 02:35 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
Until 100% of the energy cost from being created at the very start to point of use is factored in and balanced against what we have now for fuel I see it as a shell game. What are the costs associated with generating the electricity and storage in vehicles, that would include lead mining, metal mining, disposal at the end of life, and including line loss to run these things. Maybe the future but the current trend of only looking at the cost at the vehicle bothers me.
Currently Prius batteries are being moved into less critical need situations as they retire. However, what happens when they can't be sold cheap into a home backup situation because they don't hold any charge and have to be disposed of? Any of you with more knowledge than me on batteries and cost to generate electricity please answer my questions and the cost of electric generation from a financial and environmental perspective.!!! Until then I see it as a government subsidized feel good situation....except for Elon Musk is is laughing all the way to the bank.
What I would really like to see from both the electric and dino fuel world is a 100% end to end analysis of costs and benefits. Now I am in my happy world as I realize neither side will do this unless it is to there advantage.
So now we are back on thread with a bit of wonder where it is going and hope....
Better include the environmental costs of using a vehicle, period. Motor vehicle deaths, vehicle fires, etc. Fact is, everything pollutes. Don’t believe me? Look at a satellite picture of California wildfires. Analyzing the end to end energy to produce a vehicle is senseless. What’s the point? It’s a huge amount of energy, pollution, etc. But I’ll take jobs and prosperity, regardless of whether it results from building fossil fuel vehicles, electric cars, windmills, nuclear, etc.

I understand that a lot of this discussion is divided along partisan lines, though. Don’t overthink it. Personally the development of electric alternatives means I can grab a lithium battery powered impact tool, lighter than my air tool, and get 200 ft-lbs of torque for my exhaust bolts. I could’ve started up my gas compressor, dragged out the hose, put oil in the tool, etc., but I didn’t do an energy analysis first.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:03 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
Until then I see it as a government subsidized feel good situation....except for Elon Musk is is laughing all the way to the bank.

Bingo. Right on the money and we the tax payers keep on letting the Government spend our monies. Drives me nuts!

Best regards and safe travels.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:26 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Better include the environmental costs of using a vehicle, period. Motor vehicle deaths, vehicle fires, etc. Fact is, everything pollutes. Don’t believe me? Look at a satellite picture of California wildfires. Analyzing the end to end energy to produce a vehicle is senseless. What’s the point? It’s a huge amount of energy, pollution, etc. But I’ll take jobs and prosperity, regardless of whether it results from building fossil fuel vehicles, electric cars, windmills, nuclear, etc.

I understand that a lot of this discussion is divided along partisan lines, though. Don’t overthink it. Personally the development of electric alternatives means I can grab a lithium battery powered impact tool, lighter than my air tool, and get 200 ft-lbs of torque for my exhaust bolts. I could’ve started up my gas compressor, dragged out the hose, put oil in the tool, etc., but I didn’t do an energy analysis first.
Well said.

The road to overcoming our addiction to oil is bound to have some major bumps and curves to negotiate. Hopefully the rig will surmount these obstacles and enjoy a full recovery.

Peter
Old 11-27-2018, 04:02 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
That was exactly my immediate first reaction, when I got in to test drive a Model X a couple of years ago.

No thanks!

Peter
Funny, all the car fires I’ve responded to involve gas or diesel vehicles.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:20 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Then, there is this: It can sprint from zero to 60 mph in 3 seconds or to 100 in 7 seconds. The R1T can also tow a whopping 11,000 pounds. https://insideevs.com/rivian-r1t-ele...k-world-debut/
Old 11-27-2018, 07:44 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
You may have misinterpreted my comment in Post #14, which was in response to a very specific aspect of slowmover's comment, as noted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
. . .
Does the latest TESLA TOASTER enable occupants to exit the burning vehicle?
. . .
In this context, my comment was about the risk of being trapped in the Tesla during a fire [or any other emergency for that matter] NOT about the likelihood of there being a fire in a Tesla.

A careful reading of the comments starting with Post #13 should make this clear IMO. Apologies if not!

Peter

PS -- The method of raising the doors via a touch button is scary indeed IMO. Check it out in person, if you haven't already. Never would get a car with this as the only way to get out!
Old 11-27-2018, 10:01 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
One would hope so. The ratio of EV to gas/diesel vehicles is what? 10,000 to 1?
Old 11-27-2018, 11:19 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Did anyone notice this announcement? Interesting specs toward the end of the article:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/r...-pickup-truck/
Old 11-27-2018, 11:22 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
That was exactly my immediate first reaction, when I got in to test drive a Model X a couple of years ago.

No thanks!

Peter
Unlike gas vehicles which never burn lol
Old 11-27-2018, 12:15 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Is there some reason you posted a second time, in spite of the clarification in Post #26?

Quote:
Quote:
Unlike gas vehicles which never burn lol
Old 11-27-2018, 02:52 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Did anyone notice this announcement? Interesting specs toward the end of the article:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/r...-pickup-truck/
Uh, Yea. I posted about it at 5am this morning. Still no one has noticed except you and I. Looks to be a game changer, esp with the larger battery, and its likely to come to market way sooner than a Tesla. Lots of articles about how hybrids are giving way to EVs lately. Why mess with the complexity of an ICE. I'll be looking at this one very closely.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:10 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzstream View Post
Uh, Yea. I posted about it at 5am this morning. Still no one has noticed except you and I. Looks to be a game changer, esp with the larger battery, and its likely to come to market way sooner than a Tesla. Lots of articles about how hybrids are giving way to EVs lately. Why mess with the complexity of an ICE. I'll be looking at this one very closely.

Not sure how I missed your post of the same [emoji50]

Yeah - it sounds very promising and potentially more practical than Tesla’s proposed version....stay tuned!
Old 11-27-2018, 03:21 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Holy Smokes! Here comes an SUV version! https://jalopnik.com/the-rivian-r1s-...ctr-1830690407
Old 11-27-2018, 03:26 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzstream View Post
Holy Smokes! Here comes an SUV version! https://jalopnik.com/the-rivian-r1s-...ctr-1830690407

Even better! I wish it was out now!
Old 11-27-2018, 05:30 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Didn’t think my first post went through.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Old 11-27-2018, 05:32 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
One would hope so. The ratio of EV to gas/diesel vehicles is what? 10,000 to 1?
And the risk is proportional.

Discussing EVs with people who haven’t driven one is like when non-riders want to debate helmet laws with me.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:19 AM   #37
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
Rivian R1S

I just put down my deposit for the new Rivian SUV to replace my Landcruiser in couple of years (probably before the Tesla truck is available). Looks like it will tow my FC27FBT.

https://products.rivian.com/suv/
Old 12-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Cumming , Georgia
Well the truck in the picture is pretty ugly and looks to have zero room for people. Did you know that all Tesla cars can only be maintained by Tesla? Tesla will not sell their owners as much as a valve stem cap. Anything you need happens at the dealer or Tesla store. If anything breaks you can’t fix it yourself because you won’t be able to buy the parts.
Imagine if GM or Ford or Toyota told you that! Imagine if you had NO choice of who or where you could take your vehicle for service or repair. Also, all Tesla’s are always connected to Tesla, ALWAYS. When you take off on a trip out of town Tesla gives you the route so they can get you to a charging station when the batteries are low. The vehicle electronics always knows and reports to Tesla where the car is, 24/7. Way to creepy, restrictive and controlling for me. I’ll pass on that Tesla truck, thank you.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:08 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
Here is an electric truck that I have been following for a couple of years. It looks like they may soon be getting into production. Unfortunately the Bollinger will have a max hitch weight around 1,000 lbs - a little too low for my needs.

"The hitch will be rated for 1000lb of tongue weight. Our GAWR front and rear are 5000lbs. The curb weight of the vehicle is approximately 5000lbs with a driver, and the weight bias is nearly symmetric (slightly heavier in the rear depending on vehicle configuration). Expect around 2500lbs of payload capacity per axle.

Also, the towing capacity is 7500lbs, so you could tow your trailer OK."

https://www.bollingermotors.com/
Old 12-02-2018, 01:38 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
2007 Base Camp
Altamont , New York
Elon recently had to admit that the underground tunnels aren't happening. So the "Boring Company" goes back to just plain boring.
Closed Thread