Old 12-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #99
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
For the new Chrysler, I am planning on buying a new Eaz-List hitch with the 1000# round bars and the add on friction sway control, and retire my Equalizer with the stiff square bars. Adding 21" to the ball-axle length would be great though! It's an interesting effect of the Hensley.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #100
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Doug, You are right that the farther forward on the tongue, the less weight because the lever is longer. (like longer handles on a wheelbarrow)

But what you are ignoring with the ProPride is the lever itself (the ProPride) weighs an additional 220 pounds +,-. This is not weight that magically disappears, but is always there, weight distribution, or not.

And I'm not sure if you count the weight of the hitch as tongue weight or just weight on the back of the vehicle (I've read it argued both ways), but the fact remains, the 220 pounds is always there.

In mstephens situation with this tow vehicle, I think the net result of adding a ProPride would hurt his weight "budget".
It would be an interesting and useful experiment to compare the weight a "standard" w.d. hitch resting on a tow vehicle receiver to the weight of a Hensley/ProPride (with it's longer leverage) resting on a tow vehicle receiver.

What is important is not that the Hensley/ProPride (and it's stinger) weighs 220 pounds, but how much more than the "regular" w.d. hitch (and it's stinger) it weighs at the same tow vehicle receiver. What is the difference between them when the additional length of the ProPride is considered?

Of course weighing a trailer tongue matters little once the w.d. system is applied. Only the weight transferred to the tow vehicle and trailer axles matters. But it is a starting point in determining if the tow vehicle/trailer combination is reasonable. Best to start with a reasonably accurate tongue weight obtained where it rests on the tow vehicle receiver.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #101
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I can tell you the shipping weight of my ProPride hitch was 230lbs., and the shipping weight of my current Reese SC is 103lbs.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #102
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
You basically have a car drive train and it is limited by strength and size.
But keep in mind that this is a drivetrain that has been designed to propel the car up to a speed of 155mph, to 60 in just over seven seconds.

Towing a trailer at 60 should not be an issue.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #103
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
Towing a trailer at 60 should not be an issue.
Yes, but will it do it under all road conditions?

(Just so you moderators know....it's a joke.)

Car Pulling Trailer Smoking - YouTube
Old 12-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #104
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
We could all get one of those tongue dollies like Ricky and Lucy had between their 1953 New Moon 30' and Mercury convertible! Tongue weight dilemma solved.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #105
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Conley and True "True Trail" dolly on a Spartan Royal Mansion. I don't know why you couldn't build one like this using 8" or 10" trailer wheels and why it wouldn't work.

50 SPARTAN ROYAL MANSION,TOW DOLLY - YouTube
Old 12-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
I can tell you the shipping weight of my ProPride hitch was 230lbs., and the shipping weight of my current Reese SC is 103lbs.
That's the rub.

It appears that using the ProPride puts 127 lbs more weight (disregarding packing material in this case) on the tow vehicle receiver than the Reese. But it doesn't because the Propride assembly is longer; it rests on the tow vehicle receiver at a greater distance from the trailer axles than the Reese.

If you want to begin by knowing what the receiver actually carries (before weight distribution is applied), you would have to weigh each hitch at the tow vehicle receiver connection point.

There has been ongoing resistance to the Hensley/ProPride design because of fear adding tongue weight. It would be good to know if the weight difference on the tow vehicle receiver is actually significant.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #107
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
More searching turned up this thread which has NEW versions of the dolly you can buy today.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...y-87055-2.html

There are 3 or 4 different brands discussed.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #108
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Doug,

I understand your "longer lever" theory, but the weight is still there. Where are you suggesting it goes?

Don't get me wrong, I think the PP is a great hitch, used mine for several years and lots of miles, and would be using it still if it were not for the brake controller issue I have on my Ram truck, which by the way is still not resolved.

I just think there are instances, such as mstephen's, where an extra 127 pounds might be a very bad thing.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #109
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Doug,

I understand your "longer lever" theory, but the weight is still there. Where are you suggesting it goes?

Don't get me wrong, I think the PP is a great hitch, used mine for several years and lots of miles, and would be using it still if it were not for the brake controller issue I have on my Ram truck, which by the way is still not resolved.

I just think there are instances, such as mstephen's, where an extra 127 pounds might be a very bad thing.
Steve, I believe it is still there as well, but a greater portion of it is already on the trailer axles due to the "longer lever". So there is less weight to be distributed by the w.d. hitch. It would be less than 127 pounds.

I suppose if we knew the difference in length of these two hitches from trailer axle(s) to receiver connection, and the difference in weight (without packing material), we could easily calculate the actual weight placed on the receiver of each (before weight distribution is applied).

Until that is known, I would not give up as impractical the stability advantages of the Hensley/ProPride design, which we are both aware of.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #110
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
It's the old Archimedes quote: "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."

Make the lever long enough and you'll be able to, theoretically, lift the trailer with your little finger.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #111
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Steve, I believe it is still there as well, but a greater portion of it is already on the trailer axles due to the "longer lever". So there is less weight to be distributed by the w.d. hitch. It would be less than 127 pounds.

I suppose if we knew the difference in length of these two hitches from trailer axle(s) to receiver connection, and the difference in weight (without packing material), we could easily calculate the actual weight placed on the receiver of each (before weight distribution is applied).

Until that is known, I would not give up as impractical the stability advantages of the Hensley/ProPride design, which we are both aware of.
Actually Doug, if you analyze the PP from the side, and look at where most of the mass is, you will see it is forward of the ball. This means that the fulcrum of the lever is at the ball, and so most of the weight of the PP goes onto the tow vehicle, although distributed forward.

I cannot see where the PP or HA would not put additional weight on the tow vehicle than any non-PPP hitch.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #112
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Hi Steve. You are correct, because the vertical pivot on the Hensley or Propride is still at the ball location you are not using a longer lever from the trailer axle so they do not reduce the effective tounge weight. Since the vertical pivot point is further from the tow vehicle axles it does require more pressure on the torsion bars to transfer the same amount of weight forward so a little more goes to the trailer axle but not much.

The more hitch weight you have the more stable the trailer is however there is a point when more hitch weight is very little extra benefit. The first 25 FB Airstreams were Safari's with one battery, no wrap windows a lighter mattress, an optional spare tire etc. When they became SE and then Flying Cloud models the hitch weight increased quite a bit as the wheels were left in the same position.

Occasionally we do reduce hitch weight a little. We will remove the spare tire and carrier since an Airstream runs quite nicely on three wheels if necessary. We usually change to Michelin tires at the same time. We may also change to aluminum LP tanks and sometimes we will change the batteries to AGM's and install them under the rear dinette seats. I have not seen any real change in handling due to doing this but these units are starting from quite a high hitch weight to begin with.

I don't see any problem with the 300 with the Airstream left in its stock form but you know the options are there if you decide you want to reduce the weight a little.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote