Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2019, 09:44 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Tacoma Tow Vehicle-27 Foot Flying Cloud?

Yup. Absolutely agree that a 27’ Airstream is way too heavy for a Tacoma.

And the video is an accurate depiction of what improper loading will do to a tow vehicle. One puff of crosswind, a close pass by a semi, or a hard swerve to avoid something will take the rig into violent unrecoverable sway oscillations, or as the British call it “snaking.” Usually ends in massive damage in real life, including rollovers. There are many videos out there on that situation.

What they don’t show is other induced stability issues with too light a load on the front axle of the tow vehicle, which can easily cause a lack of control accident because you can’t properly steer the rig. I’d love to see a video illustrating that.

Porpoising is one of the first indications of not enough weight on the front axle of the tow vehicle. That rhythmical up and down sickening motion at the front seats is a clear sign. Road conditions such as wavy pavement bring it on quickly. This rapidly becomes a loss of steering control and directional stability.

My rig is quite sensitive to less than adequate weight distribution settings with regard to directional stability.

If DW is getting seasick, it’s time to stop and crank the WD bars a bit tighter. The power WD jacks I have on my ProPride setup (courtesy of the overkill engineering department) make it a lot easier to tune the ride. The ProPride system resists sway mechanically, but improper trailer loading and weight distribution issues will not be solved by this system by itself. In my experience it’s darn hard to engineer around stupid.

By the way, I’ve never had indications of insufficient loading on the rear axle. It’s right where it needs to be, by scale measurement, and properly within the rear axle ratings.

Getting the front axle properly ‘planted’ is critical to controlling the tow vehicle. Front and rear loading has to be right to get proper traction on each end.

A tongue weight scale (Sherline makes a nice one) and knowledge of the Airstream loaded weight is a good place to start checking your trailer loading techniques.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:28 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
The Toyota Tacoma in question here has a tow rating of 6500 lbs. The vehicle is SAE J2807 compliant, meaning that it can pass a series of towing tests deemed by the Society of Automotive Engineers to be acceptable in terms of towing performance and safety. A 27 foot empty Airstream comes in at less than that so it is definitely doable. The tongue weight can be adjusted to come in at less than 650 lbs. (I've done this on an empty 28). That will give a 10 % hitch load which is considered ideal. It may be tricky to adjust the wd hitch to get within the allowable axle ratings but it can be done. You're good to go but you'll be much happier when your Cybertruck arrives.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:46 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Very important, pay attention to your tire pressures. You're towing on the edge so keep the Airstream GYEs at 80 PSI and the rear truck tires as high as recommended. The front tire recommendations might be less than the rears. Follow the recommendations in your Toyota operators manual for maximum load conditions. I would definitely get a tire pressure monitoring system.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:03 AM   #24
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNarbutov View Post
... I have put a deposit down on the new Tesla cybertruck and as soon as they make it I’ll have it. ...
Here is a good video from Engineering Explained as to why an electric vehicle does not yet make a good tow vehicle.

Old 12-31-2019, 06:32 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
I'd do it, especially considering this is a one time deal. Look in the towing pics thread, there are people towing that trailer with a lot less (eg. passenger sedans, mid-size SUVs with no frame.)

Ever visit Europe? No trucks in sight yet there are plenty of people towing campers.

Don't expect much out of that Tesla, it's smoke and mirrors when it comes to towing.
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:34 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Believe me..... If it could, We would.

But it won't.

Our 2017 Taco 4X4 TRD Sport with some suspension upgrades has it's hands full with our '06 19' Bambi, which we've had for 14 years and towed with 3 different Tacomas and a Reese Dual Cam system.

With it's other trade-offs, I'm not convinced the Tundra is the answer either.
I love Toyota, but this is not the ideal setup.

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:47 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Fair Oaks Ranch , Texas
I wouldn’t do it. I towed with a 2012 Tacoma TRD Sport for about 6K miles. I don’t have an AS, but my Oliver is heavy for 23’ (6,ooolbs loaded) but not as wide as an AS. Your gas mileage and small gas tank will cause you to stop frequently for gas, which got very annoying. That’s a lot of trailer behind a small truck.
2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II #135
2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7
MikeandCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:19 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I thought your tow capacity numbers were too high, but thought you had checked and you had some special suspension I am not aware of. Toyota trucks (Tacoma, FJ cruiser and probably the 4Runner) with either engine have long had a tow capacity of 3,500 lbs.

4Runners from 2003 to 2009 had the optional 4.7L V8. My FT4WD has a 7,000 lb. towing capacity and pulls my 23' very well. I've never had a problem. Now you would have to get the Lexus GX model, made at the same factory, same line, same frame and drive train as the 4Runner but with the V8.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:36 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
The key issue here is that the 27 is beyond the capacity of the vehicle rating. AS manufacturer weight ratings have been consistently verified to be under real measures, as they are recorded bare with no options. Yet no trailer comes that way. Let alone used that way. Owners of the 27FB have recorded tongue weights closer to 1k lbs in use

Beyond weight, the aero load of a widebody (25' and larger) trailer is also significantly more. Note that the AS "27" model is actually a full 28' long. 1" longer than the actual "28" model if that helps to put in perspective what this trailer really is. It will be outside of the slipstream and mirrors of the Tacoma, and she'll have to breathe deep with the tepid V6 underhood.

If I may suggest. Tacoma's are great at keeping their value. Perhaps prior to the cybertruck (I have one on order too), you cold trade your Tacoma for a lightly used Tundra and be practically nothing out of pocket. And sell that Tundra when the time comes with very little depreciation hit. You'll be able to fully enjoy your new trailer that way without any concerns.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:06 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Nope. Don’t do it. Unsafe for you and everyone on the road.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:20 AM   #31
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Choosing The Right Tow Vehicle

You might be interested in reading my article on the exercise we did in choosing a tow vehicle for our Int'l 25 Airstream.

https://www.marriedwithairstream.com...-your-trailer/
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:27 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Ione , CA
You can pull the trailer in a straight line or at limited speeds. But a 27' trailer's weight AND length/height will overwhelm a Tacoma in any type of emergency situation where you need to swerve or brake rapidly.

Some people have compared a Tacoma to a F150 or Dodge 1500 half ton. But they aren't in the same class. A Tacoma is a mini truck, not a half ton. Toyota's Tundra is their half ton.

Finally, remember the concept of 'leverage'. That's a 27' long lever twisting a lightweight truck whose axles are probably 8' apart. Very bad! Don't do it.
Trowbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:31 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Forums! We tow an '06 19' Bambi with a 2016 Tacoma double cabe w/tow package (and an '07 Tacoma before that), and love this set-up. We might be able to do a 20' or 22' (but not comfortably)... anything more and I'd definitely want bigger truck. My advice: don't do it...too many things to go wrong and once any one of them happens...well, the fat lady has sung. Get an appropriate tow vehicle.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:41 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Portland , Oregon
NO NO NO!

You're spending 100K on an AS and you want to know if your 2012 Tacoma is a good choice? NO! Why tow with such an under powered tow vehicle? Make your drive time enjoyable and safe. Get a TV rated to tow the trailer. Plus your mirror would have to stick out 3' to see behind your AS.

I have a friend who thought his Tacoma could tow is 20' Bigfoot, it wasn't . They first loaded trip was terrifying. They were lucky the trailer didn't flip.
ProTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:49 AM   #35
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
I towed my older and lighter AS with a 4rnnr but changed to Tundra as I felt it was too much trailer for the runner (big 6).
I dont think you'll have enough truck with a Tacoma if you plan to be towing more than short distances around home.
Ill bet the Tesla will be a long time coming!
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:03 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Western Springs , Illinois
No way would I tow a 27 with a Tacoma. I have a 25 Classic and tow it with a Tundra. The Tundra tows just fine but a Tacoma is to light a truck. No matter what you do with the propane tanks or spare you asking for trouble. Not safe!!
wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:09 AM   #37
1 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Stony Point , New York
Most Likely Too heavy for a Tacoma - possibly unsafe

I tow a 4800lb (loaded) 20’ Airstream with a 2019 TRD Sport 4x4 automatic with Tow Package. It does fine on level roads but struggles on hills.
I know someone with a 27’ Airstream that tows with a Ram 1500 V8 ( not the Hemi ). He claims it struggles on hills and plans to upgrade to the Hemi.
Stevelandco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:37 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
The answer is no

A Tacoma is not the vehicle to tow a 27 ft Airstream. You need a 1/2 ton equipped with a Max Tow package or better yet a 3/4 ton. Stopping power is important.

I like the Tacoma however would never ever consider using it to tow our 25 Flying Cloud let alone a 27 ft. I left a half tone F-150 which handled it for a 3/4 ton and feel much safer braking and towing in the mts.

With the upmost respect unless your towing local and never going distance I cannot see a Tesla as a Airstream Tow Vehicle. The infrastructure is not there yet. Maybe in another 10 years
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:40 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Framingham , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNarbutov View Post
Hello all!

My partner and I are seriously looking at an airstream, and have been for some time but my current truck is a 2012 Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4 (manual transmission), with the TRD Sport and Towing packages. I have put a deposit down on the new Tesla cybertruck and as soon as they make it I’ll have it.

The airstream we are looking at is the 27’ Flying Cloud, which comes at an advertised weight of 5868 lbs with full propane and batteries. The hitch weight is advertised as 791 lbs, which is slightly over the 11% of my maximum placarded tow weight (6500lbs). If I take the propane tanks off and put them in the back of the trailer, I’m confident I can get the tongue weight under 11%, and add on the weight distribution hitch with proper pre-load and I’m still under my max tow weight, and even with the family in the cab with traveling bags (phones, bags, etc) we are under the MGVW of the pickup itself.

My question is; does anyone else tow an airstream with the Tacoma? If so how long? What weights? Is there a gaping hole in my plan?

We only plan on towing it with this vehicle once or twice, on flat ground (lower Alabama and Florida don’t have much terrain), and without any water in the tanks (that can wait for the larger vehicle).
That is the weight with propane and batteries but without anything else in the trailer! No food. No water. Nothing in grey or black tanks. No clothes. No bedding. Etc. Loaded weight typically much closer to or over 7000#!

Simply no on the Tacoma...it will be just a matter of time until you become a statistic.
quietguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:50 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
[QUOTE=Kalashnikov;2319621] Ever visit Europe? No trucks in sight yet there are plenty of people towing campers./QUOTE]

Trailers in Europe are nothing like the trailers in North America. They are nowhere near as heavy and have relatively light tongue weights as they are not allowed to use weight distribution.

The OPs Tacoma is in no way even close to being adequate to tow a 27 AS. The real world numbers of a 27 AS will exceed the rear axle weight and cargo capacity of the Tacoma. I very seriously doubt that you can get the tongue weight down to 650lbs. With empty propane tanks, no water, no spare, and completely unloaded, my 27 FB Int tongue weight is 824lbs as measured on a Sureline scale.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote