Old 05-12-2007, 11:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Trans Fluid

Hi, I'm not going to say it will work or not, but in an automatic transmission, you don't just look for superior lubrication; Friction qualities play a big part of the operation of the lined clutch plates and bands. And in differentials, friction modifier is also for the proper operation of the clutches to prevent chattering. In most cases the more money you spend on fancy oils to extend miles per change is a wash; Three times the price, three times the mileage.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 11:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Titu,

I think you should be figuring out why the trans is running that hot. My 2003 2500hd pulling 29' at 7300lbs runs at 150 deg according to guage. It hit about 180-190 deg last summer on long hauls(5-6 mile climbs) out west. Mine is standard gmc trans cooling. I would compare your cooling to a 2500 to see if there is a difference.

I understand the limit of conventional fluids to be approx 240deg so have you actually hurt the conventional stuff.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:53 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Assuming your vehicle has the manufactures tow package, it came with a trans cooler. Howerver, these are marginal or minimumal. I would suggest an aftermarket cooler and pay particular attention to the mounting location. Both GM and Ford do not recommend exceeding 250 degrees for any sustained period. Heat (friction) is the worst enemy to trans longevity. Regardless of the fluid, heat breaks down the additives, creates varnish and hardens seals. With the towing you do, your trans service intervals are considered severe by manufacutes guidelines and need to be done more frequently. Higher than normal temps are frequently encountered in mountaineous terain. Keeping an eye on temps and pulling over when they get too high (be sure to leave the engine running) to let the temps drop along with a good atermarket cooler will enhance dispating heat from the fluid and provide a much longe tranny life.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:50 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
lsinclair - question for you!

Have seen the 'pull over, park it, RUNNING - to let the trans to cool down. Do I leave the truck in D so that the trans fluid continue to circulate??? Do I put it in P and wait??

What is the way that works?

I'm listening to the gurus what got me this far!!!!!!!

Axel
SilverToy
Old 05-31-2007, 02:59 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Well, moving ON!

Since there was NO repsonce to the my previous posting, I did a bit of research locally....

Found a competant Trans shop that offered a circa $250 estimate to add a 15x15 cooler to the front end of the Burb.... Looked at the possible mounting 'scenarios' that they & other(on the web) have offered.... and decided that another alterative offered a possibility.

Bought a Zirgo 16" electric fan w/ 2100 CFM capacity. Will mount it with a ON/OFF switch as opposed to a sensor opporated control - not enough "anticipatory" capability for me....

Will post as things porgress.

Any thoughts from ANYONE about the previous questions???

Axel
SilverToy
Old 05-31-2007, 05:52 AM   #20
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Have seen the 'pull over, park it, RUNNING - to let the trans to cool down. Do I leave the truck in D so that the trans fluid continue to circulate??? Do I put it in P and wait??

Axel
SilverToy
It must be in Drive to pump thru.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:46 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:

Axel
SilverToy
Most owners manuals cover this very subject , and it's not the same for all vehicles . A good rule of thumb is put in the position used for checking the fluid ( GM=P , many Dodge=N ). You should also slightly increase the idle for cooling down . Leaving it in D will increase heat because the clutches are slipping.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:56 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Bought a Zirgo 16" electric fan w/ 2100 CFM capacity. Will mount it with a ON/OFF switch as opposed to a sensor opporated control - not enough "anticipatory" capability for me....

Axel
SilverToy
I have an '05 Ford F150 towing an '03 Safari 25. I have a Nordskog digital transmission temperature gauge, with the sendor installed in the transmission test port. Last summer I experienced high transmission temperatures while towing up mountain passes in Colorado. We pulled over and let the truck idle for a while... it takes a long time to cool down, and a very short time to heat back up when you resume climbing.

Late last fall I installed a Derale fan on the factory transmission cooler. It is triggered by a thermostat sensor the pushes thru the fins of the cooler, with a limit of 190 F. So far I have not hit the limit, so the fan has not tuned on. This summer we will travel to the mountains again, and I don't want to have heat troubles again!
Old 05-31-2007, 07:20 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
I apoligize for the delayed response. When pulling over do leave the trans in neutral and hold the RPM's up around 1200 to 1600 RPM's for a minute prior to returning to engine idle. The reason for this procedure is two-fold; 1) the higher RPM's improve trans fluid circulation thus expediting heat dispation and 2) if you've been running hard, it is not good on the turbo to drop the engine RPM's immediately to idle.
Enjoy troublefree traveling,
Larry
Old 12-18-2008, 12:34 PM   #24

London , Ontario
website address update

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker View Post
This url and the other pages you referred to can now be found on Petro-Canada's new site, located at Petro-Canada — innovative lubricant solutions that go Beyond Today’s Standards

The website has been updated with more detailed information besides this website address update.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:44 PM   #25
Rivet Master

I know this is a bit far out ,but there is a device that will spray water on your transmission radiator to help keep cool the fluid on hot days towing up a long grade. It sounds like it works but who wants to carry around five or more gallons of water. If you frequently tow uphill in the desert in the summer it might save a tranny repair. Why not try a desert water bag strapped on the front of the TV it worked in the forties and fifties.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:51 PM   #26
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsel Loaf View Post
I know this is a bit far out ,but there is a device that will spray water on your transmission radiator to help keep cool the fluid on hot days towing up a long grade.
There are no production units that I am aware of. There are plans and home made devices on the net for this purpose. With that said if you are nearing an over heat condition you might want to look into other issues.

Cooling system not at peak performance
Not enough air movement through the cooler
Not enough fluid in system
The load is greater than it was designed

I tend to own older TVs and I pull big loads in the desert. My van had issues and I discovered it had accumliated junk in the bottom tank and in the top of the tubes after it was 12 years old and had 120,000 miles on the clock. I replaced it. All my TV's have at least a 2nd tranny cooler in addition to what came with it from the factory. This also allows more fluid
to be in the system. I aslo change the fluid every 2 years which is about 10 to 15 thousand miles. To increase air movement I installed an electric fan. It comes on with the A/C and with engine coolant temps over 210 degrees.

Another water system on the www are injection systems into the fuel air mixture. Lower fuel charge temp more power availale and the engine can run a little cooler. In addition water is a great cleaner.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 12-30-2008, 01:04 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
A good radiator shop will use an IR scan to see if the radiator has hot spots and is in need of service. External coolers are great except that most of the time (assuming it's not a full time TV) they make the transmission run too cool. Synthetics offer a significant advantage in cold weather operation as well as superior heat characteristics.

Water injection might be viable for older rigs but newer trucks with OBDII would be totally confused. Mod's like this would certainly violate warranty on new TVs. Pretty sure they only apply to gas; not diesel.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:24 AM   #28
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Good point on the tranny running too cool in the winter time. This is a concern. Just not in AZ.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action