Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2012, 03:04 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
SUV Towing: The Next Generation

We're getting ready to return to the U.S. after 4 years overseas, and revive our poor Sport 22 sitting on jackstands, in a garage, all this time. We sold our previous tow vehicle back in the US, and began looking at something that could carry family, luggage, and light utility work over here, yet still be able to tow when we got home.

The Sport line was optimized for smaller TVs, and we had good performance with a 2003 Ford Explorer V8 and the Hensley Arrow hitch. Just ditching the white box R-Vision TT and joining the Airstream family raised our towing MPG from 9-10 to 13-14 with this truck-like SUV. And brought us into a whole new RV realm, of course!

Being in Germany, and just up the road from the makers of the newer turbo-diesel SUVs (MB ML 350, VW Toureg, Porsche Cayenne, BMW X5), we decided to have a look at these choices. Yes, they're all premium priced lines, but they're not as "fancy" here, and better deals are possible. The mix of power & torque output, non-towing diesel fuel economy, and road handling were good in all of these models. But based on size, feel, and overall performance (BMW says "Sport Activity Vehicle") we ended up with the X5.

The German dealer just installed the OEM US hitch package, which I had shipped over. It includes the bumper/receiver assembly, wiring harnesses, trim strip, and a Tekonsha P2 brake controller without the brand label. I think it was the first US towing system install this team had performed, and in German fashion, they followed the tech spec exactly - which places the brake controller in the console, and requires a wide bumper cutout for the receiver assembly.

The crossover/car-like SUV looks to be the smaller TV trend, and I've greatly appreciated the discussions here on choosing, evaluating, and towing with them. When we rejoin the A/S family in the US this fall, and get on-the-road, we're looking forward to enjoying this well-matched setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1207a.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	160313   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1206a.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	160314  

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:35 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
Chicago , Illinois
Nice setup! I don't know why US car makers don't jump on the turbo-diesel bandwagon. I can't see towing a trailer with a hybrid or electric vehicle. It seems like that's the US strategy. Oh well! Welcome home!
Old 06-07-2012, 05:59 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
X5 4.4i w/Dinan Since 2001

The X5 is an excellent tow vehicle; reference my avatar and search on "withidl".
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Sweet, a dream machine!
Old 06-07-2012, 06:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
withidl:

Your's was one of my very first sources, when we started this search.

Thanks for your insights on setting up the X5.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:19 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Home....

WOW!!!

A Germanic Can-Am who'd-a-thunk it.

Bob
Old 06-07-2012, 07:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianmack View Post
Nice setup! I don't know why US car makers don't jump on the turbo-diesel bandwagon. I can't see towing a trailer with a hybrid or electric vehicle. It seems like that's the US strategy. Oh well! Welcome home!
Consumer demand is still low in the USA for diesel... And your higher sulphur content in diesel makes it hard to meet emissions.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Sweet! A premium Turbo SUV+Airsteam is my retirement dream.
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Because the US determines the emissions different than Europe does. We are behind on so many things is pathetic. my brother gets 50+ mpg with his diesel vw rabbit in England. The stupid Prius "I hate them" gets that, or less where we live in the mountains. Hybrids are not "Green" just get could mpg in the city or flat highways. Batteries are not GREEN!!!!!! Sorry about my rant.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Consumer demand is still low in the USA for diesel... And your higher sulphur content in diesel makes it hard to meet emissions.
Only because most people don't know about them. Americans think 30 mpg is great. In Europe that is bottom line... my brother cries when he gets less than 50 mpg

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The diesel "Euro-SUV's" can outperform the conventional pickup in many categories of towing Airstream trailers and we will see more of them. Ford has slipped a V6 Ecoboost into a new Explorer; that will be interesting although they would rather sell you a pickup. Grand Cherokee/Durango have high tow ratings and mentioned a small diesel.

These are great handling passenger vehicles with towing ability. I wish they had more utility and less luxury in their finishes and accessories, but it's been hard for us to see them as the work horses they can be.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzo View Post
withidl:

Your's was one of my very first sources, when we started this search.

Thanks for your insights on setting up the X5.
Your welcome!
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
I switched from an F-150 to the Touareg TDI back in January and have never regretted it. The F-150 was good, but the VW is phenomenal.

Last week I towed from St. Louis to Jackson Center, 366 miles at 16.2 mpg without stopping for fuel (the computer showed 17.1 mpg). 66 mph at 2,000 rpm on I-70 to Indianapolis and 60 mph at 1,750 rpm on US-36 the rest of the way.

On the return trip into the wind I got my worst mileage yet... 14.9 mpg. That's better than the best I ever got with the F-150. Not to mention, I get 27 mpg commuting and no longer need a truck for towing plus a car for commuting. I love this vehicle.

I'm towing a 25 foot Safari SE which is 8.5 feet wide. Your Sport is much narrower and will have a lot less wind resistance. It will be an absolute pleasure and you'll never regret your decision. Keep us posted.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinLoaf View Post
That's better than the best I ever got with the F-150. Not to mention, I get 27 mpg commuting and no longer need a truck for towing plus a car for commuting.
Exactly! I still have trouble believing one vehicle can do it all, but it's been a series of pleasant surprises. The non-towing mileage is amazing: 24 MPG commuting 20 miles, and touching 30 highway-if you keep it around 65 MPH on flat ground. Of course, it's a bit tough to drive this sensibly on the Autobahn.

But as folks note in this thread, if market trends change and Detroit would build us a smaller-sized turbo-diesel, I'd be happy to buy one.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Think folks that haven't driven the Teutonic diesel SUV's just can't accept that they are that good...when I test drove a ML350 Bluetec I was simply astounded by just how powerful it was. The newer diesel technology is amazing in terms of efficiency and unlike the domestic truck manufacturers you don't pay a 6-8K premium just to get diesel.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
Quote:
But as folks note in this thread, if market trends change and Detroit would build us a smaller-sized turbo-diesel, I'd be happy to buy one.
That's exactly right. If I could have bought an Explorer 3.0 liter diesel with a 7,700 pound tow rating, or an F-150 4.4 liter diesel, I would have.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
There is buzz about DODGE having a VM Motori V6 diesel in the half-ton line-up shortly. 220HP/420TQ on the low estimate . . plenty with the right gearing and transmission. If they can keep the weight near 5,000-lbs for an optioned-up version!!

The recent thread on trailer anti-lock disc brakes and trailer electronic stability control will keep even these live rear axle vehicles in the running if mpg can be brought to the levels mentioned above (as with my 3/4T TD: 15+ on level Interstate).

Trailer towing and 8-mpg belongs in 1971 (along with drum brakes, bias ply tires and other than a VPP hitch).

An all independent-suspension turbodiesel TV (with all electronic aids to stability and handling/braking) really is the state-of-the-art at present.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #18
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
The German dealer just installed the OEM US hitch package, which I had shipped over. It includes the bumper/receiver assembly, wiring harnesses, trim strip, and a Tekonsha P2 brake controller without the brand label. I think it was the first US towing system install this team had performed, and in German fashion, they followed the tech spec exactly - which places the brake controller in the console, and requires a wide bumper cutout for the receiver assembly.
Is it possible for you to post a readable image of the label next to your 2" hitch receiver? I would like to see what the official towing and tongue load ratings are. Thanks.
OrangeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Chattanooga , Tennessee
I too would like to know more about the ratings are on this hitch receiver.

I recently purchased a 19' International Serenity and am having difficulty getting a hitch installed on my X5 diesel. My local BMW service department advised that their heaviest rated hitches goes to 400 lbs of tongue rating. The best that I understand about my vehicle is that it is a 550 lb requirement. I obtained this from the information provided by the dealer indicating "550# hitch weight" (as listed under chassis).

I have read on these forums of folks using the BMW stock hitch with no problems. My dealer actually advised to go elsewhere. I am very confused!! Am I misunderstanding something here?

Thanks in advance!
Bayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
I have a new 2012 X5 diesel, BMW hitch. Right on it the hitch weight limit is 600lbs and tow limit is 6000lbs.
morgandc is offline   Reply With Quote