Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
That is so awesome! It's great what those diesels can do!
Makes me want to get one!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Very impressive operating results from the 3L diesel. They just seem to be getting better. My short hall this week end was at 14.7 mpg on flat but loaded tanks going and loaded water but empty grey and black returning. My last long haul, including all the turbo malfunctions, produced 14.3 mpg. Variety of terrain between Burlington and Fort
Lauderdale. Also haven't seen Paul Bunyan and Blue since I was a kid. Jim
Old 11-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #63
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Our first one way 190 mile test run, with a lousy constant 25 MPH head/crosswind, the diesel's computer display still gave us 15.3 MPG.

Terrain was the gradual downhill toward the Gulf Coast, over generally level terrain. Am very interested to see how we do with much less wind.

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:30 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
Talked to a gentlemen in Portland, or this past weekend. New x35d and 20ft airstream. He had a couple thousand miles on it so far and loves it.
morgandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:01 AM   #65
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
When I began this thread, I had not yet connected the TV and TT - it was all wishing to be home and RVing again. After this weekend, a quick 400 mile shakedown trip, things went operational:

- Overall: Great seat-of-pants feel. Mid-size turbo-diesel SUV is a stable and well-balanced tow vehicle. My wife was quick to notice the smooth ride and almost no porpoising, compared to the Ford Explorer, our only previous TV with this trailer. Plenty of power and torque, as we all expect from a diesel, but little chance to stress system, given mostly flat terrain.

TV is rated for 6000 lbs max, trailer weighed about 3675 lbs loaded (no water in tanks, light weekend packing load).

Apart from the different tow vehicle, changes since 2008 were upgrading from C to load range D Goodyear Marathons, and a larger Group 27 vice Group 24 battery.

- Weather & Mileage: no rain, but 25 MPH headwind going south; front pushed through, then had 30 MPH headwind headed north! Yielded 15.3 MPG and 14.7 MPG on each leg, respectively. Not bad for high drag conditions.

- Stopping: The factory brake controller, a rebadged Tekonsha P2, worked fine, just had no brake lights at all, at first! (A known BMW issue.) The dealer reflashed the towing module firmware, and now just a half second hiccup message when first connecting the umbilical.

- Hitch: Based on the discussion here, dialed in a small amount of weight distribution on the Hensley links; did not crank down to the first measured notch on the spring bars. Overall the same firm control as always, despite the above noted windy conditions and lots of big trucks passing, as the Arrow's makers always claim.

Appears to be a well-matched combination. Of course, this pair is always the smallest combo in the RV Park, in a south Texas land of fifth wheels and F250s.

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote