Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrafun View Post
I was wondering the same thing?...

Today I learned that most if not all the German SUV's have "air ride suspension" in the back which prohibit the use of weight distributing bars. The main reason is because these WD bars go into the shank and create issues with the air ride suspension thus voiding any type of factory warranty on the tow vehicle.

So, I'm wondering how Ddruker got around this?
Hi, I'm not exactly sure what you are saying, but My Lincoln has rear air suspension and a factory tow package. So it must be OK to tow with rear air suspension. Also my owner's manual explains how to set-up a WD hitch with my air suspension.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:31 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ladera Ranch , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I'm not exactly sure what you are saying, but My Lincoln has rear air suspension and a factory tow package. So it must be OK to tow with rear air suspension. Also my owner's manual explains how to set-up a WD hitch with my air suspension.
RobertSunrus,

I just found a post for you to read that explains the "issue" I was trying to explain but apparently didn't do a good job...sorry about that! This post also explains how "idroba" (the OP) got around the "issue":
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...p-89954-2.html

Hope this helps!
sierrafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, My Lincoln has a shut off switch for the air suspension. Instructions say to have it at driving height before turning switch off. [with the vehicle turned off, after the rear door/s have been opened and closed, the rear drops slightly] Don't open the rear doors. Adjust WD hitch. When finished, turn air suspension switch back on.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:43 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, My Lincoln has a shut off switch for the air suspension. Instructions say to have it at driving height before turning switch off. [with the vehicle turned off, after the rear door/s have been opened and closed, the rear drops slightly] Don't open the rear doors. Adjust WD hitch. When finished, turn air suspension switch back on.
Wonderful to hear that it's so easy
Old 09-06-2012, 03:09 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Never Have Had a Problem With Rear Air Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrafun View Post
I was wondering the same thing?...

Today I learned that most if not all the German SUV's have "air ride suspension" in the back which prohibit the use of weight distributing bars. The main reason is because these WD bars go into the shank and create issues with the air ride suspension thus voiding any type of factory warranty on the tow vehicle.

So, I'm wondering how Ddruker got around this?
My SUV has air suspension in the rear. All I do is turn the ignition off after hook-up (which disables the air suspension compressor) while the AS tongue weight is still on the jack; then I adjust the WD bars before raising the jack to allow the tongue weight to bare on the rear suspension, then if need be further fine tune the WD bars prior to turning the ingition on. In practice, I measure the Hensley "jack screws" after adjusting and then on subsequent hook-ups just adjust them back to that predetermined measurement (this assumes I have not shifted the weight and balance of the AS substantially).
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:19 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
If you get the x5 without the 3rd row seats you can avoid the air suspension.
morgandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgandc View Post
If you get the x5 without the 3rd row seats you can avoid the air suspension.
Thanks Morgandc! Great to know that is an option
Old 09-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
With my GL 350, I'm not currently using a weight distributing hitch. I do know this is heresy for some folks on the forum.

The GL has built-in trailer anti-sway control and the air suspension is indeed self levelling. The truck also has relatively massive brakes and tires - 15 inch rotors and 275/50 R20 rubber.

When I weighed all of this against loading up another 100 pounds of WD hitch onto the receiver when Mercedes is already limited on tongue weight, I decided to forgo a WD hitch.

That's what I meant in my earlier post when I said my main complaint about the truck as the relatively low tongue weight supported - I do wish in addition to 7,500 pound towing capacity, the GL 350 also officially supported 1000 pounds of tongue weight -there is a big discussion about this on the Mercedes forums - if it did I would absolutely be using WD as an additional safety factor.

I also did get my hitch receiver reinforced - there are several stories on the Mercedes forums about factory hitch receivers on earlier model year (mostly 2009) GL's breaking off the truck under heavy tongue weight and WD. The hitch receiver was redesigned for the 2011 model year, but I still thought it was good insurance to get additional reinforcement done and it was not expensive.

My experience to date is that I've not had a hint of any control issues in over 5,000 miles of pulling the airstream. I was, and still am, prepared to go out an invest in a WD hitch despite the tongue weight concerns, but it's been towing so well so far I've not pulled the trigger.
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #49
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
ddrucker, very interesting combo. Do you have any close up pics of your connection and receiver reinforcements? Thnxs.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
Here is a link to two of the main towing discussion threads on the Mercedes GL forum... Including pictures.

Anyone towing a big load? Did you reinforce the factory hitch? - MBWorld.org Forums

http://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x...ing-gl450.html
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruker View Post
With my GL 350, I'm not currently using a weight distributing hitch. I do know this is heresy for some folks on the forum.

When I weighed all of this against loading up another 100 pounds of WD hitch onto the receiver when Mercedes is already limited on tongue weight, I decided to forgo a WD hitch.
With a WD assembly the additional nominal 100# tongue weight is really only ~35# on the receiver; the rest is "torqued" to the front axle, where you really want it for steering control, and the trailer axles. If you don’t WD your assembly your front axle is REALLY compromised in steering authority; so that 100# savings to protect the reciever MAY cost you the entire assembly.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
This is just plain incorrect. USA has been on ULSD (15 ppm) since Oct. 2006. This is identical to Canadian spec for diesel, only Canada mandated it in May 2006. For a little while after Oct. 2006 it was allowed to sell LSD (500 ppm) here in parts of Alaska but that has expired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
The part you are missing is the USA's insistence on maintaining high sulphur content in their diesel. That is why you can't meet emissions standards... We have clean diesel in Canada, and can get such oddities as Jeep Liberty CRD's and such.

The high sulphur makes several extra add-ons necessary for US-spec diesels to meet emissions, if they can at all... and... all the noisy, smoky trucks running around doesn't make it an attractive option for those who know no different...

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruker View Post

The GL has built-in trailer anti-sway control and the air suspension is indeed self levelling. The truck also has relatively massive brakes and tires - 15 inch rotors and 275/50 R20 rubber.

That's what I meant in my earlier post when I said my main complaint about the truck as the relatively low tongue weight supported - I do wish in addition to 7,500 pound towing capacity, the GL 350 also officially supported 1000 pounds of tongue weight -there is a big discussion about this on the Mercedes forums - if it did I would absolutely be using WD as an additional safety factor.

I also did get my hitch receiver reinforced - there are several stories on the Mercedes forums about factory hitch receivers on earlier model year (mostly 2009) GL's breaking off the truck under heavy tongue weight and WD. The hitch receiver was redesigned for the 2011 model year, but I still thought it was good insurance to get additional reinforcement done and it was not expensive.

My experience to date is that I've not had a hint of any control issues in over 5,000 miles of pulling the airstream. I was, and still am, prepared to go out an invest in a WD hitch despite the tongue weight concerns, but it's been towing so well so far I've not pulled the trigger.
I came to the same conclusion with the math on my Sequoia... adding weight to the back to then shift the same weight to the front was redundant. However, I also have no sway control as a result...

I think in our situation where things are close to working already, the Andersen hitch is the lightweight way to get a bit of WD and sway for not a lot of money (or weight).
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #54
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeKid View Post
Is it possible for you to post a readable image of the label next to your 2" hitch receiver? I would like to see what the official towing and tongue load ratings are. Thanks.
Sorry, I've just discovered this additional discussion. Others have already posted the correct answers of 600 lbs tongue and 6000 lbs max rating, which is what the label states.

On the subject of air suspension, we didn't get that option on the X5, so no auto-leveling issues expected. It will just take a Hensley bar swap to get the static height correct, but I expect weight distribution is something we'll need to tweak, given the new tow vehicle.

As others note, the European carmakers discourage weight distributing hitches simply because they don't use them over here. Based on considerable discussion in these forums and elsewhere, I don't think it's a major vehicle durability concern, just something untested by the factory.

Of course, until I actually get back, and get the trailer out of storage and hitched, it's all just speculation!

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:05 AM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
In the "for what it's worth" department we drove the 2013 GL 450 yesterday and was very impressed by the ride and handling. The Bluetec version should be out within a month and with over 440 ft lbs of torque it will be an unbelievable TV. I almost bought the 2012 GL but went another direction because of the planned 2013 model refresh. Trust me, if you've ever considered a new TV that is upscale in many ways you should give one a try.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Still looking for a capable and practical SUV to tow our Airstream 25'. One of the things I wish for is a "basic" vehicle without the bells and whistles. A work horse not a luxo limousine. The price would be better as well as the long-term reliability. What good is a 400k mile engine in a 200k mile car.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #57
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
You won't find that engine (anymore) so don't sweat it on new vehicles. It's been said for more than thirty years that "electronics" mean that cars/trucks won't last as long or be repaired as easily. True, even though reliability rose in that same period.

I'd choose reliability first, longevity second, and low cost of operation, third (as distinct from purchase price). Ease of service would mean dealer network and parts availability over access to components (DIY).

But best road performance in a combination rig would trump all of them.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I have about 240,000 k on my 2008 GC diesel. Towing and handling (can am set up complete with reinforcement) has never been an issue and would be similar for other diesel SUVs. Service in Canada has never been an issue due to the wide spread acceptance of diesel vehicles using a fuel providing greater mileage due to our much more expensive fuel and not much goes wrong with diesel engines. Diesel service is terrible in the US regardless of the manufacturer due to the scarcity of diesel vehicles and the reluctance of dealers to spend the training dollars on technicians where the payback is low. This is understandable and must be considered by those considering the purchase of a diesel. Other issues are simply related to a fuel fill up. If the facility provides diesel, and many do not, the pump providing the diesel for cars (smaller nozzle than trucks) is often located on the inside where access with a trailer is possible but extremely difficult and of course the pumps are never marked with a vehicle designation which frequently results in convoluted maneuvers just to get the nozzle in the vehicle. But by far, my recent experience with the dealer network leaves one wondering on the current validity of the diesel option. The input duct to the turbo developed a leak which made the vehicle unsafe to operate. (reduced and/or no power) I visited 4 dealers before one would even look at the problem which would be the next day. No problem, I camped in his lot and by ten the next morning he had me on my way, except all he was able to do was erace the codes and the malfunction reoccurred after 3 miles of travel. He was not capable of diagnosing the problem or just wanted the problem gone. This was in West Virginia. I nursed the jeep to another dealer in Pensylvania. Not a jeep dealer but a dodge dealer since the jeep dealers would not touch it. The dodge dealer said the parts required were on back order and would be available in 9 days. That is 9 days for one duct. Four days of camping in his lot and he rigged a fix with parts from a diesel sprinter. This fix lasted to New York where it all malfunctioned again. I limped home at 75 k. $700 spent, no fix. Would I buy another diesel. Yes. Love the adventure.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #59
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
That is the very reason I sold my Interstate, no reliable dealer network, at least three years ago. Possibly a good vehicle with an impossible dealer network able to service it. And this was when Dodge dealers supposibly could work on them. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
Just finished a 5,000 mile trip from 500 feet in St. Louis up to 9,000 feet in the Bighorn Mountains of WY, over to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. Steep grades, long descents, hairpin curves. With the diesel Excursion and gas F-150 I always felt like I could use another gear and more power. With the VW I always had power to spare. It was astounding.

Heading west into the wind and uphill the entire way our lowest tank was 13.7 mpg and we averaged 17.0 mpg calculated (not computer). Heading east with a tailwind and heading downhill the entire way our highest tank was 19.6 mpg and we averaged 17.4 mpg. That's all towing economy.

While driving around in Yellowstone and the Tetons where the speed limit is 45 mph we averaged just over 30 mpg!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0678.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	168875