Old 06-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Think folks that haven't driven the Teutonic diesel SUV's just can't accept that they are that good...when I test drove a ML350 Bluetec I was simply astounded by just how powerful it was. The newer diesel technology is amazing in terms of efficiency and unlike the domestic truck manufacturers you don't pay a 6-8K premium just to get diesel.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Trenton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzo View Post
But as folks note in this thread, if market trends change and Detroit would build us a smaller-sized turbo-diesel, I'd be happy to buy one.
That's exactly right. If I could have bought an Explorer 3.0 liter diesel with a 7,700 pound tow rating, or an F-150 4.4 liter diesel, I would have.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
There is buzz about DODGE having a VM Motori V6 diesel in the half-ton line-up shortly. 220HP/420TQ on the low estimate . . plenty with the right gearing and transmission. If they can keep the weight near 5,000-lbs for an optioned-up version!!

The recent thread on trailer anti-lock disc brakes and trailer electronic stability control will keep even these live rear axle vehicles in the running if mpg can be brought to the levels mentioned above (as with my 3/4T TD: 15+ on level Interstate).

Trailer towing and 8-mpg belongs in 1971 (along with drum brakes, bias ply tires and other than a VPP hitch).

An all independent-suspension turbodiesel TV (with all electronic aids to stability and handling/braking) really is the state-of-the-art at present.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #18
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzo View Post
The German dealer just installed the OEM US hitch package, which I had shipped over. It includes the bumper/receiver assembly, wiring harnesses, trim strip, and a Tekonsha P2 brake controller without the brand label. I think it was the first US towing system install this team had performed, and in German fashion, they followed the tech spec exactly - which places the brake controller in the console, and requires a wide bumper cutout for the receiver assembly.
Is it possible for you to post a readable image of the label next to your 2" hitch receiver? I would like to see what the official towing and tongue load ratings are. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Chattanooga , Tennessee
I too would like to know more about the ratings are on this hitch receiver.

I recently purchased a 19' International Serenity and am having difficulty getting a hitch installed on my X5 diesel. My local BMW service department advised that their heaviest rated hitches goes to 400 lbs of tongue rating. The best that I understand about my vehicle is that it is a 550 lb requirement. I obtained this from the information provided by the dealer indicating "550# hitch weight" (as listed under chassis).

I have read on these forums of folks using the BMW stock hitch with no problems. My dealer actually advised to go elsewhere. I am very confused!! Am I misunderstanding something here?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
I have a new 2012 X5 diesel, BMW hitch. Right on it the hitch weight limit is 600lbs and tow limit is 6000lbs.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianmack View Post
I don't know why US car makers don't jump on the turbo-diesel bandwagon.
Actually "hybrids" are a very old idea. Diesel-Electric power plants are the ultimate in torque - they power freight trains an other massive movers like tug boats. The diesel turns a generator which turns an electric motor. Seems convoluted but the electric motor provides full torque even at zero rpm.

There are lots of reason the ultra efficient diesels have not taken off here. Mainly because people are just are not willing to pay the premium and they never sell well.

A big part was due to insane EPA emission control. US Tier2 diesel emissions knocked out diesel cars and made a mess of diesel truck technology.

Part is due to US diesel fuel tax premium over gas (opposite in Europe where gasoline is taxed more heavily).

But US consumers just do not seem to take to them except in trucks.

Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Chattanooga , Tennessee
Thank you!

My X5 is a 2011 model, so the BMW factory hitch should be the same. I believe the service agent did not have the correct info.

Sounds like the class 3 will work. Perfect!
Old 09-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
Jeep Cherokee will offer a diesel engine next year according to Car & Diver this month. I checked at the dealer and they told me it would most likly be a 7K$ option. So, I'll keep my 2012 Jeep Cherokee V6 that gets 25 mpg when not towing and 15 when towing my 5K pound Safari.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward View Post
Actually "hybrids" are a very old idea. Diesel-Electric power plants are the ultimate in torque - they power freight trains an other massive movers like tug boats. The diesel turns a generator which turns an electric motor. Seems convoluted but the electric motor provides full torque even at zero rpm.

There are lots of reason the ultra efficient diesels have not taken off here. Mainly because people are just are not willing to pay the premium and they never sell well.

A big part was due to insane EPA emission control. US Tier2 diesel emissions knocked out diesel cars and made a mess of diesel truck technology.

Part is due to US diesel fuel tax premium over gas (opposite in Europe where gasoline is taxed more heavily).

But US consumers just do not seem to take to them except in trucks.

The part you are missing is the USA's insistence on maintaining high sulphur content in their diesel. That is why you can't meet emissions standards... We have clean diesel in Canada, and can get such oddities as Jeep Liberty CRD's and such.

The high sulphur makes several extra add-ons necessary for US-spec diesels to meet emissions, if they can at all... and... all the noisy, smoky trucks running around doesn't make it an attractive option for those who know no different...
Old 09-05-2012, 12:42 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
Our tow vehicle is a 2011 Mercedes GL 350. It is a fantastic tow vehicle - and the turbo-diesel motor is less expensive than either gasoline option. We have never lacked for power or stability, and we average roughly 18 MPG when towing, and 25 MPG when not, which I think is pretty awesome for a large 3-row SUV.

The picture below is just a couple of days before negotiating the Teton pass, which we had no problem with.

Mercedes sells a tiny number of the diesels as compared to the gasoline versions of these - I think people still associate diesel with rattly, smelly motors. The new clean diesels are fantastic - no smell, no noise, tons of torque, superior fuel economy. While diesel fuel typically costs between 5 and 10% more than unleaded regular here in California, fuel economy is more than 25% better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	336008_10150951399139615_112896191_o.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	167495  
Old 09-05-2012, 12:52 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward View Post

Hi, I have heard this statement before, but it is false. An electric motor has zero torque at zero RPM. It has full torque from, not at, zero RPM. No torque until motor is actually turning.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:05 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
Hi, I have heard this statement before, but it is false. An electric motor has zero torque at zero RPM. It has full torque from, not at, zero RPM. No torque until motor is actually turning.

Think about this for a minute - if the motor really had no torque at zero RPM, how would it start turning...

Do a quick google search on "electric motor torque curve" - you will see plenty of graphs showing electric motors have high stall / starting torques.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:33 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I have read what they said. Now put that motor on a dyno and measure the torque from a shaft that isn't turning. Zero! One of the those articles that I read basically agrees with me in that the torque starts from zero.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote