Old 03-23-2006, 09:58 PM   #15
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
It doesn't address the wheelbase issue, however. There is a general guideline for recommended wheelbase for the length of the trailer. Something like 110" wheelbase for a 20' trailer and 4" for each additional foot. Anyone?, Anyone?.
Dennis
hi dennis and others....

post 31 in this thread....

http://www.airforums.com/forum...?highlight=110

1:.....t.v.w.b > or = to 1/2 of the distance from hitch ball to rear trailer axle.....

2:......t.v.w.b at least 110" for first 20ft of trailer....add 4" for each foot there after......

these are the ratio guides i've found....and only one of many variables......

but stan and marilyn.......have lots of trailer decisions, before entering.....

the "towlight zone"

cheers
2air'

Old 03-24-2006, 07:13 AM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I have seen a diesel Suburban ( a brand spanking new one) that was down here for hot weather testing..
You sure this was a factory built diesel burb? I've seen 2 companies do the diesel mod on the burb and they look factory. If what you saw was in fact a factory built diesel burb...........ooorah!

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:59 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
If you want some information based on experience and tests see Andy Thompsons post on RV.net http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...pging/1/page/5
Old 03-24-2006, 08:07 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari
Bellbrook , Ohio
I am using a 2003 Chevy Tahoe LT Autoride for this year and maybe part of next year. As a Safety professional in the transportation world, all of my trips will be limited to short daily legs (less then 200 to 250 miles a day), this is to ensure that proper time taken into considerations for the difference in the vehicle to trailer ratio, and to ensure the family is not in the car for long periods of time. I plan on going to a diesel next year, for all you diesel hatters, LOL. I would love to get a Suburban 2500 with a Duramax, and a 6 speed Allison Transmission, that Im sure is all of our dreams. Buts its looking like a GMC Crew Cab.

I am using an Equalizer hitch system that I was told it has built in weight distribution and sway control, and it sure looks like it too. The load bars attach right to the A frame of the trailer thru a means of 1 L shaped push pins that slides down over the top load bars, they are secured on the bottom by a cotter pin. Once under load, these things do not move around, I tested it last weekend.

On a safety note, I cannot stress how important it is to lube those hitches like the Equalizer where the weight distribution bars meet the hitch. We had ours delivered from the dealer (about 75 miles away), and noticed the where and stress due to the fact that the dealer did not use about .10 cents worth of lube. Its just really frustrating to see the little things like that.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:08 AM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmickle
If you want some information based on experience and tests see Andy Thompsons post on RV.net http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...pging/1/page/5
I read Andy Thompsons post and would bet the farm the guy is somewhat nuts. I'd take what he posts with a grain of salt, then throw the salt grain away.

I have a Burb (3/4) and I tow our 25' widebody without issue. I'd put that combo against Andy Thompson's rig every day of the week and 2x on Sunday...Hensley or not.

This is the guy that tows a 34' Airstream with a Dodge Intrepid....nuff said.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 03-24-2006, 08:16 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari
Bellbrook , Ohio
My Step father "Hohne" in these fourms, uses a Burb to tow the same trailer I have and has no problems. The Tahoe has proved to be very nice for backing !!!, it will due for the next year.

Towing with an Intrepead???? That cant be safe!!

Will
Old 03-24-2006, 08:26 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Exclamation There goes "Andy" towing & blowing by at 100 m.p.h.!

I think the following excerpt from this guys' post in another Forum (link listed above) pretty much sums up his attitude

"In the interests of science I have towed Airstreams with performance tires on cars at 100 mph with no problem other than the CB aerial gets red hot with truckers comments...."

I just hope that everyone else on the freeway is at least 1/4 mile behind or ahead of him when he disintegrates
Old 03-24-2006, 08:41 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari
Bellbrook , Ohio
http://www.rvtowingtips.com/how-long.htm

I found this and I hope Im allowed to post in here. Dont know how true it is, but it seems to follow other guidelines I've seen.

I think the biggest thing in all is to be sentive to Speed and Space managment, bottom line. Good Eye lead time and at least 6 seconds following distance.

Thanks

Will
Old 03-24-2006, 09:05 AM   #23
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
Hey Silvertwinkie, this andy thomson sure seems to got it going, what an arrogant fellow he is.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:13 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Lightbulb In all fairness Silvertwinkie....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I read Andy Thompsons post and would bet the farm the guy is somewhat nuts. I'd take what he posts with a grain of salt, then throw the salt grain away.

I have a Burb (3/4) and I tow our 25' widebody without issue. I'd put that combo against Andy Thompson's rig every day of the week and 2x on Sunday...Hensley or not.

This is the guy that tows a 34' Airstream with a Dodge Intrepid....nuff said.
I bet the Intrepid has a supercharger w/ a nitrous oxide tank in the trunk...
He could kick your *ss in a trailer towing drag race

Wait a minute ....

They race lawnmowers & tractors why not race travel trailers
Old 03-24-2006, 09:15 AM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh
Hey Silvertwinkie, this andy thomson sure seems to got it going, what an arrogant fellow he is.
I don't know if he's arrogant, but Forrest Gump's mama said it best, stupid is as stupid does.

Just because something can be done, or is done, doesn't mean by default it's correct. I drive very fast on the expressway (non-towing), I can, but I shouldn't.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:19 AM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jarzabek
I bet the Intrepid has a supercharger w/ a nitrous oxide tank in the trunk...
He could kick your *ss in a trailer towing drag race
LOL!

I bet yer right on about that....and I'd gladly hand that win to him without contest! Just hope everyone here and everyone I know is far away from him when he's just towing that Airstream, let alone racing with it at 100mph.

If I recall there was a HUGE post about this clown a few years ago.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:29 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
Respectfully, this thread is NOT in an off topic forum, so can we bring it back on topic for the original poster?
Old 03-24-2006, 09:35 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to draftwomyn21
Hi All,
I'm posting my 2 cents worth on this as a new A/S owner. I pulled my '26 Overlander 850 miles from Colorado Springs to Phoenix (maiden journey) with my 2004 Toyota Tundra. I have the big engine and the tow package with the built on transmission cooler. I was very pleased with how she pulled that hunk of aluminum over Wolf Creek Pass without even complaining. I felt like I had good control and was able to pull at the posted speed limit without difficulty. The Toyota SUV model uses the same frame and engine, so maybe you should look at that. I've always been a big Ford person and tow my horses with an F-250 Super Diesel, but I love my Toyota for it's guts and comfort.
Robin out