Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2016, 02:18 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by one_maverick View Post
So here an update on my search for out TV. After looking at a few Expeditions I have ruled them out because of low payload capacity. I have been looking at F150s with my preference being a super crew with the 3.5 Ecoboost. That said I just saw a super cab and 5.0 at my local dealer. The truck is a nicely equipped Lariat with a price I could afford.

I know a lot of you tow with the Ecoboost but how is the 5.0? I don't want to fall for a pretty face and good price only to be disappoint later.

I appreciate you expert options.
May I ask what was the payload figures/range for the Expeditions you saw?
Thanks!
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:34 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Most of the Expeditions I looked at the payload capacity was between 1300 & 1400 lbs. The long wheel base had the higher capacity. When you add in the tongue weight of AS and passengers you don't have much left for any thing else. Most of the F150s are about 1600 lbs
one_maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:46 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
If you are choosing among full size SUVs and full size trucks, the choice is largely determined by your unique payload capacity requirements, NOT by 'towing' capacity. Most all of them are capable of 'towing' an Airstream, no problem.

If you are going to be towing a smaller size (lighter weight) Airstream, and your payload capacity requirements are minimal, either a full size SUV or a full size pickup truck may be well suited and the choice will depend on which vehicle design meets your particular needs better. It comes down to payload capacity at this point.

If you are going to be towing a 30'+ size Airstream and you like to be able to carry a good amount of people/gear/equipment/supplies/dogs, etc. with you, you may find that a 1/2 ton SUV or pickup might not provide sufficient payload capacity (remember, this is NOT towing capacity) for your needs. It all depends on your unique needs. And no one else can make this determination for you, as no one else knows what your cargo/payload requirements are.

Neither an SUV, nor a truck is the 'correct' choice for anyone in particular... Only you can determine which choice meets your needs best, both in terms of cargo/payload capacity and vehicle design. They each offer various advantages and disadvantages, depending on your unique requirements.

Just make sure that your payload capacity requirements are comfortably met. Many buyers look at towing capacity alone without realizing how important it is to also consider PAYLOAD capacity when making their choice. Don't depend on any car salesman to determine this for you, they cannot (and may not be trustworthy enough to do so) you really MUST figure this part out for yourself!
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:27 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Our personal choice was for a Denali HD 3/4 ton with Duramax/Allison, and I'm sure we would have been just as happy with Sierra SLT or Silverado LTE with Duramax/Allison.

We needed the payload/cargo capacity of the 3/4 ton and we wanted the pickup design with enclosed tonneau cover to hold generators, gas cans, BBQ, charcoal, firewood, tools, and misc. camp stuff without them being on the "inside" of an enclosed SUV. The crew cab backseat flips up giving a large, flat floor, big enough to comfortably take our two dogs (90 lbs. & 60 lbs.).

This vehicle choice may work well for you, or perhaps not, it just depends on your unique needs.

Here is our payload calculation

Man 190
Woman 140
Golden Lab Dog 90
Staffs/Heeler Dog 60
2 EU2000i Gen 100
5 gal. gas 35
Retrax Pro Cover 90
BBQ & Charcoal 15
6 gal. bottled water 42
2 camp recliners 15
Camp Table 8
Bag of dog food 40
Tool Chest 10
Camp Fire Wood 20

=======
855 lbs.

Add in Airstream Tongue Wt. 1200 lbs.

TOTAL required cargo capacity: 2055 lbs.

Denali HD Cargo Capacity: 2294 lbs.
Our required cargo capacity: 2055 lbs.

Unused (remaining) cargo capacity: 239 lbs.

We still have enough remaining payload capacity to add a kayak, raft, and/or another person (or two) if desired.

As far as towing power and slowing/braking power is concerned, we live near the Rockies and find that the Duramax pulls the 30' Serenity effortlessly when climbing high Rocky Mountain passes and keeps speed controlled with very little braking input when descending the Rocky Mountain passes.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by one_maverick View Post
Most of the Expeditions I looked at the payload capacity was between 1300 & 1400 lbs. The long wheel base had the higher capacity. When you add in the tongue weight of AS and passengers you don't have much left for any thing else. Most of the F150s are about 1600 lbs
Thanks for the info!
Old 02-20-2016, 07:16 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Our personal choice was for a Denali HD 3/4 ton with Duramax/Allison, and I'm sure we would have been just as happy with Sierra SLT or Silverado LTE with Duramax/Allison.

We needed the payload/cargo capacity of the 3/4 ton and we wanted the pickup design with enclosed tonneau cover to hold generators, gas cans, BBQ, charcoal, firewood, tools, and misc. camp stuff without them being on the "inside" of an enclosed SUV. The crew cab backseat flips up giving a large, flat floor, big enough to comfortably take our two dogs (90 lbs. & 60 lbs.).

This vehicle choice may work well for you, or perhaps not, it just depends on your unique needs.

Here is our payload calculation

Man 190
Woman 140
Golden Lab Dog 90
Staffs/Heeler Dog 60
2 EU2000i Gen 100
5 gal. gas 35
Retrax Pro Cover 90
BBQ & Charcoal 15
6 gal. bottled water 42
2 camp recliners 15
Camp Table 8
Bag of dog food 40
Tool Chest 10
Camp Fire Wood 20

=======
855 lbs.

Denali HD Cargo Capacity: 2294 lbs.
Our required cargo capacity: 2055 lbs.

Unused (remaining) cargo capacity: 239 lbs.

We still have enough remaining payload capacity to add a kayak, raft, and/or another person (or two) if desired.

As far as towing power and slowing/braking power is concerned, we live near the Rockies and find that the Duramax pulls the 30' Serenity effortlessly when climbing high Rocky Mountain passes and keeps speed controlled with very little braking input when descending the Rocky Mountain passes.
Thanks for sharing your payload info. Very useful.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:31 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Our mileage with the new Denali HD Duramax/Allison:

Towing the 30' Serenity in the Rocky Mountains: 11.7 mpg
Stop & go in town driving, not towing: 15.4 mpg
Freeway driving, not towing: 18.8

We are quite pleasantly surprised at the fuel economy we get with this 3/4 ton diesel pickup.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:37 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Sewickley , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post

=======
855 lbs.

Hey DHart,

First of all.... I love this picture. We're huge fans of CO, as well as your set up. If price was no option, we'd get the HD Denali as well to tow our soon to be 30' Serenity. I think we've finally settled on the Sierra 1500 with the 6.2L/Max Trailering package which is giving us ~1,900 lbs. of payload.

Quick question about your calculation. I assume you have some sort of WD hitch so wouldn't ~25% of the 1,200 hitch weight be transferred to the trailer's axles and not counted toward the truck's payload? Still learning here so want to make sure I'm doing our own payload calcs correctly.

PS - Thanks again on your US Bank recommendation. We were able to get a really great rate!

Thanks,
Eric
Seinbelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:27 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Eric, yes, we do have a WD hitch, though I don't know the exact amount of weight that is distributed and would think that 25% might be overly optimistic. We needed to buy our truck well before we got the Airstream, so it wasn't possible to engage in detailed weight measurements before making decisions.

I very conservatively estimated our weight calcs as I like to err on that side and I think we probably could get by fine with the truck you are considering, but we also wanted to build in a larger cushion of capacity and power, should we make any future decisions (kayaks, heavier trailer/5th wheel, etc.) that might involve wanting more capacity.

I think if you are easy with your cargo requirements and use a WD hitch, you very well may do fine with your choice of pickup, which I think is an awesome truck, by the way!

Congrats on your new truck and trailer! I'm sure you are really excited in anticipation.