Old 07-04-2015, 10:47 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
I choose a topper

I considered the 1500 Suburban also. After doing the math for payload capacity, I realized it would not work for me.

Today, I choose a truck with a bed topper, but I don't have a dog. Several years back, when I did have a dog I would let it ride in the covered truck bed. The problem is mid summer it is too hot. It's fine as long as the vents are open and the truck keeps moving. As soon as the truck stops the dog starts to bake. The topper is like an oven in the summer sun.

The reason I use a pickup with a topper instead of a SUV for towing:
1. Fuel and generator are not a good things to have in the passenger area.
2. During a collision or extreme braking situation, loose camping gear in the passenger area is dangerous.
3. I don't want the blue tank inside the passenger area after I've just dragged it around the dump station.
4. When the truck bed gets dirty, a hose and broom take care of the grit & grime.

This is my rig, with the old 15' Grumman barge on top. As it is loaded in this photo, it has less than 100 lbs spare payload capacity, with my wife and me as passengers. It has the maximim towing package.

That is an ARE topper with a factory installed rack system (with a 450 lb load limit I think)
Click image for larger version

Name:	canoe and Airstream.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	449.8 KB
ID:	242180

Old 07-04-2015, 11:18 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
I have towed with a pickups, a Suburban and now an F150 (crew cab) with a canopy- ShortBox.

Everything is a compromise but it's no contest for us. The extra stowage in the truck is excellent. Tools, carpeting, leveling boards, BBQ, Bikes etc.

Our dog rides with us in the cab. ( I don't let him drive though...) A hot day would be too hot in the truck bed for the dog.

For us, the pickup with canopy is the best overall configuration.

- evan

Old 07-04-2015, 11:19 AM   #17

Currently Looking...
Dixon , California
I use a TurboKool RV Evaporative Air (Swamp) Cooler on my truck shell and my dogs love it. It's run off a Deep Cell RV battery and a solenoid to keep it charged and separate from the starter battery.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:23 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Thanks guys.

Now I have to pick out an Airstream, silver tow vehicle, and matching aluminum canoe

Dan
Old 07-04-2015, 11:27 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
Thanks for all the thought out replies.

Was up all night. Literally.

You guys just pick one. I give up

2015 Suburban

2015 Suburban with Hennessey 500 hp supercharger

Ford 250 with shell

Dodge mega cab 2500

2012-2014 suburban 2500 if any had low miles

2016 suburban 2500 if that useless brother in law worked for chevy, not Honda

Nissan Armada

Infiniti QX80 if I find $30k in a paper bag

U-Joint or Quigley 4x4 Ford E-350 4x4 conversion van

Sport mobile van if said paper bag has $60k in it

Ford Excursion diesel.. Oh, they stopped making it. Like my Suburban 2500 dream ride...

Geesh!!

Maybe I should just teach my infant and toddler the virtues in tent camping. Character building opportunities my dad would call it. Hah. I'm all stocked up on character after 42 years of sleeping on the ground.

Dan

Semi serious

Any opinions on 2015 Suburban? Read where Can-Am Andy told someone to change shocks, get better weight displacing hitch, and something else perhaps to make stock 1500 burb better. Anyone familiar with that line of thought? I'm concerned about tongue weight. I'm 325 lbs, 6'6", wife ain't small (hush), and two kids, german shepherd, etc... Any mods to make the borderline suitable 1500 burb not so borderline?? This is my most appealing route if plausible.

Nissan Armada? It's more affordable than many options.

Infiniti QX80? Sexy grocery getter. Suitable for 28' AS??

Not familiar at all with the latter two, except reading online. Had no idea folks towed anything with an Infiniti. Will go see some trucks locally Monday, but no Infinity dealer for 75 miles.

Dan
Old 07-04-2015, 11:46 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1987 32.5' Airstream 325
dripping springs , Texas
I don't tow an airstream with my truck ( we have a classic motorhome) but tow lots of other much heavier stuff and use a tundra crew cab with the roll down back window, leer camper shell with boot and a bed rug and the Great Dane is typically happy. It does have more road noise with the window down, and it's not super cold back there on hot days (we're in TX), but fine for a 4 hour drive or less in the heat. Hope this helps...

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 07-04-2015, 11:54 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogskool View Post
I use a TurboKool RV Evaporative Air (Swamp) Cooler on my truck shell and my dogs love it. It's run off a Deep Cell RV battery and a solenoid to keep it charged and separate from the starter battery.
Do you know the temperature difference of the air going in and the air coming out?
I would like to see some photos of your setup.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:58 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

I like the Burb for sure, but for my purposes... and...everyone's is different... I prefer a pick up with a shell topper. I live in Arizona so I would never put the dogs back there for a extended ride...it's just too hot for them. They ride in the back seat of the extended cab. (No kids for me...). My ARE topper has a set of reinforced Yakima tall boy racks mounted on it for the canoe, bikes or kayaks, cargo carriers I occasionally carry depending on the destination. The large 8 foot truck bed is for all the chairs, generators, water and fuel cans, tent canopy, coolers, etc. etc. that I need for each trip... all secured in a lockable shell with blacked out windows.

ARE Shell Topper
SKP46015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:15 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Sandy , Oregon
Suburban vs Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitlupe View Post
When I ordered the Leer topper for my F250 they had an option for a Thule (or Yakima) rail set for whatever type of accessories you might want to add for cargo, etc.

They also had several window options to create different venting scenarios. I would think your dog would be okay with that and the truck and topper sliding back and front (respectively) windows as long as you are moving. You might need to bring him/her in the cab with you in really hot conditions.
Yes, Leer is the way to go... they have many options for set up...
Old 07-04-2015, 12:41 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
When hauling a generator and gas can or cans , the only way to go is separate from the passenger compartment and that can only be accomplished with a truck .
Old 07-04-2015, 12:54 PM   #25
Glamper Girl

2008 23' International
Sunny San Diego , California
Hi Dannattherock,
I have the option of towing with my husband's F250 Truck or my Infinity QX56 (SUV) w/folding 3rd row seat. I always chose the Infiniy! I LOVE IT! I especially love the turning ratio which allows me to back the trailer in easily. I put our dogs in the 2nd row and our equipment in the 3rd row with seats folded flat. This allows access from three different doors/angles.

My husband tows the AS with his F250 which has a LEER shell that has a built in roof top rack system (for top loading of our Kayaks) and windows with dog guards (optional feature). We put our two 70 lb dogs back there which is convenient but it gets super HOT even with the windows open and a fan forcing air through the cab window. So when its hot we bring the dogs inside the cab and they sit on the back seat.

pros for the truck: dogs can go in back when the temp is just right
pros for the suv: good turning ratio and you can get to your equipment from several different angles (not just bumper side). More Comfortable seats for longer drives, better options such as lane assist (for blind spots) parking sensors, adaptive cruise control and high-tech safety features designed to either prevent a crash or protect the occupants in the event of one.

When we use the truck I tend to see my husband jumping in the bed of the truck to re-arrange stuff to access the equipment he needs. Happens every time, even though he packs it according to the most frequently used items.

Best of luck with your decision! PM me if you have any questions regarding the Infinity.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:08 PM   #26

Currently Looking...
Dixon , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Do you know the temperature difference of the air going in and the air coming out?
I would like to see some photos of your setup.
I am in California, with dry heat up to 107 degrees and had 20 to 25 degree difference.

pictures attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20150704_1055499_rewind.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	242183   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150704_1056339_rewind.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	322.8 KB
ID:	242184  

Name:	IMG_20150704_1056446_rewind.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	323.4 KB
ID:	242185   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150704_1058142_rewind.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	242186  

Old 07-04-2015, 01:17 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Similar to dogscool setup, I had a friend that actually mounted an AC unit on his topper so the dogs stayed cool while he was at work. I think it must have run off propane? Extreme measures, yes.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:19 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Also, I've heard that the QX80 is a fantastic tow vehicle, especially with the (not standard equip) body motion control system.