Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2015, 08:43 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
SUV guy curious about Truck with shell instead. Dog, kids, etc..

Having owned two Tahoes and an Escalade, I was set on buying a Suburban as a TV for 28' AS my wife and I are thinking about buying. Having two small kids and a German Shepherd, the larger SUV works great. But some shortcomings as a TV when compared to many trucks.

What I'm curious about is how a truck with shell would compare to a large SUV. Mainly curious about dog being in back. Do camper shells have windows that allow air conditioning and heat from cab of truck to enter bed area? Also allowing talking to dog and such.

Is there a rack option to allow carrying a canoe or a few kayaks on top? We often do this with our Tahoe. I have no insights into trucks or shell options. But it sounds like a nice truck would make a better TV. Just not sure it's possible for our family as it would be very tempting to buy a Suburban. Just trying to see what our options are.

Thanks for your patience as I realize most folks here have far more knowledge about trucks. But I have never owned one, and never seen inside of a shell. Especially the newer and nicer types that likely exist. I'm sure that a F250 or similar would tow the 28 foot AS better, it's everything else about using a truck as opposed to a Suburban I'm wondering about.

Dan
NC
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:28 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
You can get a cap with a sliding window between truck and cap and there is a boot system that will make it water tight , There are many roof racks on the market that will haul you toys on the roof .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:03 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Dan,

I have an F-250, 8' bed with a topper and a good friend of mine has an Expedition. We both pull AS 30s. He covets my F-250 because of the additional space that the covered bed provides.

>>ron<<
Old 07-03-2015, 01:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
If she who must be obeyed would allow it I would have a cover on my truck now.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:54 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
When your dog rolls in a dead Seal it finds on the beach you'll wish you had a truck bed rather than an SUV.
Not Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 03:54 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Las Vegas , Nevada
Truck & SUV

I've never owned a SUV. I'm on my third truck. GMC 1/2 ton extended cab. The first one had a Snug Lid; not enough room for storage in bed. Number 2 & 3 trucks a Snug Top with a Bed Rug; outstanding. My #2 truck Snug Top had a carrying rack on top. This was a great item, however, I'm not into boats, bicycles etc. I had the side windows of the Snug Top tinted with Limo dark so no one can see inside of truck bed. It works great. Good luck with whichever choice you make.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:55 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
airstream , zero
When I ordered the Leer topper for my F250 they had an option for a Thule (or Yakima) rail set for whatever type of accessories you might want to add for cargo, etc.

They also had several window options to create different venting scenarios. I would think your dog would be okay with that and the truck and topper sliding back and front (respectively) windows as long as you are moving. You might need to bring him/her in the cab with you in really hot conditions.
Zeitlupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:09 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
We had an extended cab Ford F-150 with sliding rear glass (manual). Added the tall cap and "boot", then built a raised platform where we put an air bed. Put a 12VDC fan to push air into the camper. Curtains on windows.. We could stretch out while others drove. Worked great. Kept the nosey folks out. It was cheap camping travel!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:16 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
Why not ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
If she who must be obeyed would allow it I would have a cover on my truck now.
Why wont she allow you to have a cover on (YOUR ) truck ???
shineybullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:44 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Long Beach , California
Hello Danattherock:

It all depends on what your needs are. When I was young with kids we towed with a pick-up. Most of us with pick-ups removed the front window of the camper shell and the rear window of the pick-up. We had a flexible boot made (mentioned by woodfox45) which allowed the kids a pass through from truck to camper. We adults could also yell through at them when they got too rowdy.

I built a couple of bunks and a small chest of drawers in the camper shell and that was the kids bedroom. We parked the pick-up close to the trailer to keep a close watch on the kids.

Now that I'm an old man in his dotage, I tow with a suburban. The ride is much better on us old folks. Plus the visibility is better. I've car topped a 13' aluminum skiff on both vehicles.

You're not wrong either way you decide. They are both perfectly functional as tow vehicles.

Have fun -- Don
helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I contemplated buying a large SUV when we got the AS, but in the end decided that a truck with a cap made more sense. Longer wheelbase (better for towing) and no rem getting the inside of a nice SUV messed up trowing all manner of junk in the back! Don't regret it ne bit!

We have had two such trucks now and loved them both, 1/2T 4x4 and 3/4T 4x4. Both caps had opening side windows although whenever used them.

Our truck is a crew cab version - good big back seat, wouldn't that be best for the dog?

He/she could then share your heated or air conditioned comfort and be in touch whith human chums.

Our previous truck had the extended cab, but the best combination for us seems to be the crew cab / regular box.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Shiny bullet, evidently you haven't been married 44 years or are eased into a false sense of security.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:11 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Shiny bullet, evidently you haven't been married 44 years or are eased into a false sense of security.
Nope just 25 years to a very wonderful lady , and she would never have a truck without a topper , that's where our dogs ride and all (OUR) other gear she would never say NO to anything I wanted .
shineybullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:11 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Thanks for all the thought out replies.

Was up all night. Literally.

You guys just pick one. I give up

2015 Suburban

2015 Suburban with Hennessey 500 hp supercharger

Ford 250 with shell

Dodge mega cab 2500

2012-2014 suburban 2500 if any had low miles

2016 suburban 2500 if that useless brother in law worked for chevy, not Honda

Nissan Armada

Infiniti QX80 if I find $30k in a paper bag

U-Joint or Quigley 4x4 Ford E-350 4x4 conversion van

Sport mobile van if said paper bag has $60k in it

Ford Excursion diesel.. Oh, they stopped making it. Like my Suburban 2500 dream ride...

Geesh!!

Maybe I should just teach my infant and toddler the virtues in tent camping. Character building opportunities my dad would call it. Hah. I'm all stocked up on character after 42 years of sleeping on the ground.

Dan
Old 07-04-2015, 09:47 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I choose a topper

I considered the 1500 Suburban also. After doing the math for payload capacity, I realized it would not work for me.

Today, I choose a truck with a bed topper, but I don't have a dog. Several years back, when I did have a dog I would let it ride in the covered truck bed. The problem is mid summer it is too hot. It's fine as long as the vents are open and the truck keeps moving. As soon as the truck stops the dog starts to bake. The topper is like an oven in the summer sun.

The reason I use a pickup with a topper instead of a SUV for towing:
1. Fuel and generator are not a good things to have in the passenger area.
2. During a collision or extreme braking situation, loose camping gear in the passenger area is dangerous.
3. I don't want the blue tank inside the passenger area after I've just dragged it around the dump station.
4. When the truck bed gets dirty, a hose and broom take care of the grit & grime.

This is my rig, with the old 15' Grumman barge on top. As it is loaded in this photo, it has less than 100 lbs spare payload capacity, with my wife and me as passengers. It has the maximim towing package.

That is an ARE topper with a factory installed rack system (with a 450 lb load limit I think)
Click image for larger version

Name:	canoe and Airstream.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	449.8 KB
ID:	242180
Old 07-04-2015, 10:18 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
I have towed with a pickups, a Suburban and now an F150 (crew cab) with a canopy- ShortBox.

Everything is a compromise but it's no contest for us. The extra stowage in the truck is excellent. Tools, carpeting, leveling boards, BBQ, Bikes etc.

Our dog rides with us in the cab. ( I don't let him drive though...) A hot day would be too hot in the truck bed for the dog.

For us, the pickup with canopy is the best overall configuration.

- evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:19 AM   #17

Currently Looking...
Dixon , California
I use a TurboKool RV Evaporative Air (Swamp) Cooler on my truck shell and my dogs love it. It's run off a Deep Cell RV battery and a solenoid to keep it charged and separate from the starter battery.
dogskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:23 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Thanks guys.

Now I have to pick out an Airstream, silver tow vehicle, and matching aluminum canoe

Dan
Old 07-04-2015, 10:27 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
Thanks for all the thought out replies.

Was up all night. Literally.

You guys just pick one. I give up

2015 Suburban

2015 Suburban with Hennessey 500 hp supercharger

Ford 250 with shell

Dodge mega cab 2500

2012-2014 suburban 2500 if any had low miles

2016 suburban 2500 if that useless brother in law worked for chevy, not Honda

Nissan Armada

Infiniti QX80 if I find $30k in a paper bag

U-Joint or Quigley 4x4 Ford E-350 4x4 conversion van

Sport mobile van if said paper bag has $60k in it

Ford Excursion diesel.. Oh, they stopped making it. Like my Suburban 2500 dream ride...

Geesh!!

Maybe I should just teach my infant and toddler the virtues in tent camping. Character building opportunities my dad would call it. Hah. I'm all stocked up on character after 42 years of sleeping on the ground.

Dan

Semi serious

Any opinions on 2015 Suburban? Read where Can-Am Andy told someone to change shocks, get better weight displacing hitch, and something else perhaps to make stock 1500 burb better. Anyone familiar with that line of thought? I'm concerned about tongue weight. I'm 325 lbs, 6'6", wife ain't small (hush), and two kids, german shepherd, etc... Any mods to make the borderline suitable 1500 burb not so borderline?? This is my most appealing route if plausible.

Nissan Armada? It's more affordable than many options.

Infiniti QX80? Sexy grocery getter. Suitable for 28' AS??

Not familiar at all with the latter two, except reading online. Had no idea folks towed anything with an Infiniti. Will go see some trucks locally Monday, but no Infinity dealer for 75 miles.

Dan
Old 07-04-2015, 10:46 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1987 32.5' Airstream 325
dripping springs , Texas
I don't tow an airstream with my truck ( we have a classic motorhome) but tow lots of other much heavier stuff and use a tundra crew cab with the roll down back window, leer camper shell with boot and a bed rug and the Great Dane is typically happy. It does have more road noise with the window down, and it's not super cold back there on hot days (we're in TX), but fine for a 4 hour drive or less in the heat. Hope this helps...

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
gaiaenviro is offline   Reply With Quote