Old 11-15-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via AIM to wally_winter Send a message via Yahoo to wally_winter
SUV can it tow?

I have a 2005 SUV Rainer Buick, 8 cyclinder. I stopped by the buick dealership to ensure my SUV can pull a 25' Airstream, weighing dry 5100 lbs. They did a vin check on my SUV and said it could pull up to 6700 lbs. So I felt pretty comfortable knowing the SUV could handle the weight. I am about to buy an Airstream, Excella 1000 25' and it weights 5100 is it safe to pull this Airstream with my Buick? I was talking to another gentleman who owned one just like mine in CA and he said it would burn up my transmission and not to pay attention to the weighs, this was to much for my SUV. So my question is any advice from those with experience and hauling with an SUV?

Wally/AirForceOne

Old 11-15-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Well, once you put your stuff in the trailer and add some water and pile into the tow vehicle, things will be pretty tight.

Your wheelbase is relatively short as well which not enhance towing stability.

While I am not one of the "you got to have a 3/4 ton diesel" guys, I'd have to say you would be stretching the capabilities of your SUV.

mike

Old 11-15-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Albuquerque , New Mexico
Hey Mike thanks for the info. My plan was to always haul the SUV without water and such when traveling and then when I am at the RV park i'd add the water and empty it before leaving. I am not much for cookingn so I'd probably not need a lot of utensils and such. Was also thinking about removing the mattresses (two singles) and replacing them with airmattresses to help cut down on weight. I am worried as to whether I should go ahead and buy this Airstream or not. The guy I am buying it from has an SUV, his is an older SUV and same wheelbase and he says it pulls easy.

Wally
Old 11-15-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Pulling is swell but the stopping is the question. You will also be very aware of your wheelbase when a big ol' 18 wheeler tools by you at 70+.

It certainly can be done but you will be right at the edge of your capabilities. Just so you go in with your eyes open.

Make sure you buy an very good weight distributing hitch with good sway control. Search the hitches sub-forum for recommendations.

good luck

mike
Old 11-15-2009, 02:13 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Wally, you have have not mentioned what model year Airstream 25 footer that you are looking at. If it is a late model 25', it is probably going to go over 6000# even being conservative with weight on board the Airstream. There are still LP tanks (60#) and a hitch system (100+#) to consider.

We tow a 2005 25 footer and it weighs 7400# ready to travel. This is actual weight on a truck scale, not some imaginary figure that some RV dealer or prior owner has come up with.

Your Ranier may be able to pull the trailer, but you will need to replace the tires. The Ranier most likely came with load range C passenger car tires. These can not be trusted with the kind of load that you are talking about. You will need to go to load range D or E tires for a safe tow. You will also need a high quality weight distribution/sway control hitch system.

Give us more info for a better assessment.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:16 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Albuquerque , New Mexico
Brian thanks for the message, it's a 1995 model. I am thinking about backing out at this point and not buying it. Just to much to worry with and I don't want to screw up my SUV or be sitting on the side of a road somewhere wishing I hadn't have made this deal.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
Hi,

Does your Ranier have a CVT transmission? Something else to look at would be having it rigged out with a transmission cooler for towing, brake controller...

After your loaded up, seems you would be right at limit if not over. Doesnt take much to add weight.

Al
Old 11-15-2009, 02:45 PM   #8
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally_winter View Post
I have a 2005 SUV Rainer Buick, 8 cyclinder. I stopped by the buick dealership to ensure my SUV can pull a 25' Airstream, weighing dry 5100 lbs. They did a vin check on my SUV and said it could pull up to 6700 lbs. So I felt pretty comfortable knowing the SUV could handle the weight. I am about to buy an Airstream, Excella 1000 25' and it weights 5100 is it safe to pull this Airstream with my Buick?....
hi 'winter

safe is a relative term, and no one here can define safe 4U...

the rainier is a truck based suv and the v8 is ~300 hp and torque?

so it's got the GUTS for a mid 90s 25, and frame that can withstand w/d gear or a solid hitch apparatus.

IF it doesn't have a 'towing package' which includes things LIKE a tranny cooling, the wiring harness, a receiver and so on...

you will WANT 2 add these things to compensate for the stresses on the suv.

IF the tires are P metric sized, it would useful to go with XL or better load rated tires.

many folks are HAPPY towing with an suv and there are NO obvious reasons why the rainier isn't UP2 the task.

but MOST vehicles used for towing are stressed MORE that simple commuting,

and require MORE frequent maintenance/care if towing MUCH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally_winter View Post
...I am thinking about backing out at this point and not buying it Just to much to worry with...
we don't have a LOT of info about YOU, your rving history, REASONING behind an a/s purchase and so on...

or HOW u plan to use the 'stream, how MUCH travel, WHERE and so on.

rv-ing is an adventure that includes a LOT of UNexpected issues and surprises WHILE traveling.

so dealing with UNexpected issues is a big part of happy travels.

IF u don't want the worries consider some OTHER risk free way to kill time...

and feeling PRESSURED to buy is never a wise (=safe) way to start 'streaming.

it reads like u have been worried about the TOWING issue a long time...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/81712-post18.html

maybe a small moho/class C would be a better choice.

easy to drive and NO tail to wag...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Just a note to aid those following along: a Buick Rainier is a gussied-up Chevrolet Trailblazer.

Tom
Old 11-15-2009, 04:04 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Albuquerque , New Mexico
Hey thanks to all this has been very helpful. I think I 'll just hold off and look for something lighter. Appreciate all the advise and I read every word.

Wally
Old 11-15-2009, 06:43 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
I don't think so. It is too light. I have 25' Safari and calculated the tow needs with the following spreadsheets. Even a Tundra is too light.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...tml#post456088
"Its better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness,
Unless you're blinded by the light..."
hshovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:56 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
I have a Armada (Nissan) with a tow capacity of 9,500 lbs. - more than adequate for pulling our 25' International. BUT, it is too short a wheelbase, too small tranny cooler when pulling in the smallest of mountains, an inadequate rear end (differential) for safe travels and the scariest of all, too small brake pads. Who knew ahead of time when one is just starting out. As one person told me, go to a NAPA dealer and check out the brakes for your Nissan and compare them with replacement brakes for a 3/4 ton pick up (Chevy, Ford, Dodge). The pick up brakes will probably weigh in around 10 to 12 lbs. while the Nissan brakes will weigh around 4 - 5 lbs. Major difference, especially when trying to stop a three ton trailer right behind you!

Lots of things to look at, to think about, to know - not just towing weight. Listen to those that know about these things and give it a good hard look. Good luck with your decision.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:50 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Ward , Colorado
If you don't plan on pulling in the mountains, you may be OK for a bit hauling the 25'er about for a bit. Good advice on brakes and trans are essential.

We just purchased a 25 Safari and will be hauling in the mountains. THE vehicle according to the research is a diesel! You'll need the torque generated by such an engine/transmission combo.
The "beast" to do our pulling is the Dodge 2500 Heavy Duty, 4x4 with the 6.7Li Cummins Diesel and six-speed trans. The last place I want to break down is on a narrow, steep, switch-back with nasty weather approaching on a Holiday week-end.