jeep w/ hemi.

add a bambi

true love.

kevbo

Old 10-13-2007, 11:35 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
You can buy a hitch from almost any trailer dealer or Camping World. Before you do, do a search on this forum for "hitches". You will find a LOT of free advice on what to buy. It seems to break down to Reese or Equil-i-zer at about $700 or jump up to a Hensley for about $3,000. Personally, I think for you size trailer, the $700 hitch should be sufficient.

John

Old 10-13-2007, 12:37 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Waters
We may wind up trading in the Pathfinder, who knows... my DH was appalled at the gas mileage that the larger vehicles get. The Armada gets 12/17 mpg. Whatta pig. Still, we'll do some local camping with the A/S (when we finally get it) and see how it holds up. Maybe we'll get lucky. Since it's just two of us we may not load up beyond the recommended 4,500 lbs. I think 4,800 lbs. is probably a good limit.

Looking forward to this!
Please....read the other forums about towing. ONE word of advise..this may be hard for you to swallow, or you husband anyway. If towing with a larger vehicle than a V-6 pathfinder is out of the question I am concerened that you are not thinking about safety. WHAT IS MORE INPORTANT....YOUR LIFE...OR A VEHCILE THAT GETS BETTER FUEL MILEAGE. Sorry,, but its a fact. Pay attention to the exsperienced towers. Even with the 19 Bambi you will find that the vehicle you are interested in are marginal at best over the long haul. Longer wheel based V-8 tow vehicles that get worse fuel mileage may save you life. I am so sorry to be so blunt. But exsperence has tought me these things. And if just a bit of advice can prevent a desaster, its a good thing. I repeat ...do not let fuel mileage be the deturmining factor...it will bite you in the end. White knuckle freeway driving is the pits.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:55 PM   #32
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
When I bought my 25 Ft Safari, the Dealer told me the same thing! He pointed to the V8 on my truck and said..."not a problem". But there actually is more to it then just having a small V8 (4.7L).

Are you going to be happy worrying about the temp gage reading past the half way point? Going up hills/mountains worrying if the trailer and all the stuff you have in the back of the P/U bed isn't too much for the truck. Watching the Tech gage tacking at 4-5K rpm? All this is called STRESS !

I thought taking off on a trip was about leaving Stress behind!

rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 03:28 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Safari-Rick your correct. It is not about the HP under the hood. It is about frame strengh and weight,,,and BRAKES. Big radiators and strong transmissions like the Big three have behind their gas or diesel motors. Good weight distribution hitch and brakeing system.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:30 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
ONE more thing....you will not get any better fuel mileage with a V-6 towing than you will with ...for ei....a V-10 gas Ford. Empty ya...but not towing. With your bambi to be..lol..the V-6 will be screaming its head off at 5,000 RPM to keep up with the frow of traffic...at 45 mph on a 5% grade....while the V-10 Ford will be Doing 65 taking a nap at 2500 rpm takin a nap wondering when you are gonna ask it to go to work.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:55 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike rogers
The 4Runner will tow it fine. I tow a 25 footer with a '05 Tacoma. No problems with power or control. Some people think the bigger the belt buckle the better the cowboy. Nissans are always overated Toyotas are usually underated.
See post #24.
I was towing with a V-6 4runner. Control wasn't an issue, power was a definate issue.
Dave
Old 10-13-2007, 04:57 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
As you can probably tell by now, towing questions get a lot of feedback. The best rule of thumb I have seen is the 20% rule that I stated earlier. Make sure whatever you get to tow is rated at least 20% greater than whatever it is you plan to tow. For instance, my Safari, loaded, is about 7,000lbs. My 06 Expedition is rated at 8,800 lbs. so I should be OK. And, after several thousand miles, I am.

If your Bambi is loaded to 4500 lbs, you will need at least a 5400lb towing capacity. MPG is not a consideration.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:50 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
The Nissan has a towing capacity of 6,000 lbs. The Bambi we're interested in has a fully-loaded weight of 4,500 lbs. It will only be two of us and I don't expect we'll go over that 4,500 lbs. We'll get all the safety features available.

We'll also be using the Nissan as an 'around town' vehicle which was why DH was so concerned about the gas mileage. If we take it on a short trip and it doesn't work out, we'll have to trade it it. Or something. (!).
Old 10-16-2007, 10:29 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
You should be just fine. I doubt you will find anything with a towing capacity of 6,000 lbs. that will get better "around town" mileage.

Pickups are OK but, certainly, not necessary at our level.

John
Old 10-16-2007, 10:38 PM   #39
Wagon Master

2012 30' International
Sanger , Texas
We've got a 78 Soveriegn, 31 foot. Traded up from a 05 Holiday Rambler Presidential fifth wheel. Still have the 06 Ford F250 and boy does it smoke it up, down and all around.

Most of the time, I cant even tell it's there. Only use tow/haul mode when going downhill or in town, for the extra braking provided by built-in brake system and downshift.

Gotta love it..........

Any heavy duty Diesel will pull it, but Ford outows pound for pound, so you could always trade up the trailer and not have to replace a truck.

As for gas mileage, I get 20+ out on the road without the trailer, slightly lower with the trailer or around town. Generally, diesel is cheaper and then, do you want a truck or do you want a TRUCK?.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:26 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
In our area regular gas is at $2.95 and diesel is at $3.40.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:43 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Laguna Beach , California
[QUOTE=Muddy Waters]Good advice about the 16' Bambi. We aren't crazy about the wet bath but at this point we're being flexible. QUOTE]

I chose the 19' Bambi for the full shower and find that I'm really using the Campsite showers anyway...and the shower in the Bambi is just a spot to pile in the 'things' I need at the campground like food and my dufflebags of clothes because there is very little storage in the 19'...
on the other hand, the 16' Bambi has LOADS of storage all over it! More than enough! Ask BamCamper....she travels like CRAZY all over and doesn't miss the wet shower, she uses the higher water pressure and no mess left behind by taking advantage of the roomier campsite showers!
Another major difference is the holding tanks, where if you were really planning boondocking adventures you might need the bigger tanks...but then again, after camping alongside Miss BamCamper...she manages quite well and has even gone to BurningMan this year for over a week!

I think that if you are intent on keeping with the idea of your Pathfinder, maybe get the smaller Bambi...
keeping in mind that from what I read on the forums that most people move up to a larger Airstream eventually.

also notice that there are numerous members who have more than one, say a tiny one and a bigger one....then some have tiny, middle, bigger, one vintage and one newer etc....it's a 'disease' that we're dealing with now...
and the doctor's orders that will come down to managing it will be a larger tow vehicle...just saying....
Debra

http://www.debraschottfineart.blogspot.com
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:44 PM   #42
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Waters
The Nissan has a towing capacity of 6,000 lbs. The Bambi we're interested in has a fully-loaded weight of 4,500 lbs. It will only be two of us and I don't expect we'll go over that 4,500 lbs. We'll get all the safety features available.

We'll also be using the Nissan as an 'around town' vehicle which was why DH was so concerned about the gas mileage. If we take it on a short trip and it doesn't work out, we'll have to trade it it. Or something. (!).

I use our F250 around town daily - get about 14MPG in town and on highway (13.8 towing). Have less than 14K miles, so it's not 'broken' in yet which means my mileage will improve the older it gets.

You WILL end up carrying more than you think, especially if you go on trips longer than a weekend (& with all the extras you'll be adding to the truck, you're also adding weight). That's not sayin' you won't also be bringing back things from where you've been. And how about the trip with some friends who're bringing their tent & gear with 'em? Loading that pickup right up quick...

Rule of thumb is, when you see 3-4 cars behind you, you need to pull over and let them pass... on any terrain with topography towing your Airstream, y'all have a good chance of pulling over alot. Remember, that's Bubba behind you (& in a hurry)... he's got a six-pack and on his way to see his girl...

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote