Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
Lightbulb Super Duty truck w/ car flatbed/ rollback towing AS??

Many of us have seen SmokelessJoe amazing rig setup (MB Sprinter 3500 w/ custom flatbed w/ MINI on top towing a great looking AS), which can be found here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ase-18448.html

I notice that the Sprinter 3500 is almost right up to the 15,000 lbs limit when loaded up. Not to mention the V-6 may have great mileage, but it seems rather underpowered with 300+ ft# and only 188hp. It is also only available in a 2WD setup.

So what about taking a Ford Super Duty Chassis Cab (or equivalent) with its very powerful diesel and a tilt flatbed with ramps or even a Lo-Profile Rollback setup to carry my MINI JCW along with towing a 23'+ AS?

The reason I ask is that I don't like trucks unless there is a use for them. If it can allow me to take my car, a trailer and who knows what other frequent uses (4WD fun? Track day car hauling?), then that is awesome (I can have my cake and eat it too...). To me this is a better solution than having an SUV/SAV towing and for daily driving (but having to leave my MINI behind for a long time).

Thoughts, opinions, suggested sites I check out?

-It seems that low-profile rollback setups are heavy, expensive and complex. They may also be too large considering the shortest setup I found was 19' - overkill for a small car like the MINI. The benefit is that there is no problem loading the low MINI or any other car I may replace it with someday. I suspect the weight issue is not too big a deal considering the weight limits of the Super Duty class. No idea how the rollback setup would affect towing.
-Some people suggest a tilt or dump flatbed with ramps. Probably lighter (especially if aluminum) and less expensive. But not sure if my low profile MINI will work. I am having trouble finding any examples of this setup and if it would work for low cars.
-SmokelessJoe used a custom aluminum flatbed and ramps. His MINI has more ground clearance than mine and the ramps were very long. I don't think using ramps along with a fixed flatbed is an option for me. The ramps would have to be ridiculously long.
walk0080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
The HP/Torque wars have badly skewed what North Americans consider adequate for propulsion... My first Tacoma had 160hp, the next had 190hp, my last had 236hp... and I can't say any of them were blazingly faster than the other.

The issues I see with the Ford, or any bigger truck, is you are going to need a fairly extravagant tilt-deck to get a short deck down to a low enough angle to load the car. You might be further ahead using a Hiab and a sling to just lift the Mini onto the deck. OR drive the Mini into a crate and lift the crate...

There are shops that can fab anything... if you've got the dream and the cash...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Hey, America is all about the HP. I have a 75 dodge with a 440 and 369 hp. Soon to be more once I find a cool muscle car to put it in. And yeah it gets 8 mpg. towing or empty. And i love it. My brother in England cries if he doesn't get 50 mpg with his diesel rabbit. But that rabbit can't haul 4000 lbs or rock... Or a mini.

I say go for it. it would be cool.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:11 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
I have seen landscape trucks that are a flatbed, but the bed can be dropped onto the ground, a lot like the big construction dumpster trucks. Drive the MINI onto the bed, secure it, and then a big hook pulls the bed back up onto the truck. An f-550 might be able to handle a set up like that. The couple that I've seen have been on cab over style trucks, like Isuzu and Hino. Mi'd suppose the sky is the limit if you have the bank roll. Not sure what that type of truck would be called, so it might be hard to search it on the Internet.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
The HP/Torque wars have badly skewed what North Americans consider adequate for propulsion... My first Tacoma had 160hp, the next had 190hp, my last had 236hp... and I can't say any of them were blazingly faster than the other.

The issues I see with the Ford, or any bigger truck, is you are going to need a fairly extravagant tilt-deck to get a short deck down to a low enough angle to load the car. You might be further ahead using a Hiab and a sling to just lift the Mini onto the deck. OR drive the Mini into a crate and lift the crate...

There are shops that can fab anything... if you've got the dream and the cash...
I know it all comes down to $$$$

I agree about HP/torque talk. My main concern is that the Sprinter would be totally up to the limit in terms of weight with a modern AS. What if I wanted a 25' or 27' instead of a 23'? I would have to travel empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzah View Post
Not sure what that type of truck would be called, so it might be hard to search it on the Internet.
I think I know what you mean. I was having a lot of issues just trying to search for the right rigs on the 'Net - had no idea what these things would be called. I will probably talk to some custom shops and see what they suggest.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Hey, America is all about the HP. I have a 75 dodge with a 440 and 369 hp. Soon to be more once I find a cool muscle car to put it in. And yeah it gets 8 mpg. towing or empty. And i love it. My brother in England cries if he doesn't get 50 mpg with his diesel rabbit. But that rabbit can't haul 4000 lbs or rock... Or a mini.

I say go for it. it would be cool.
The way I see it, my other possible option would be a Class A or C towing the MINI. I haven't seen any Class A's that I like, so I would have to buy something and gut the interior. And once I am done, I am going to get crummy gas mileage from the Class A. And I really don't want to think about the horror stories I've read about mechanical and build issues on those Class A's (not that AS have no issues).

So I might as well have a truck with crummy gas mileage for towing/car hauling and an AS that I like (and my fuel efficient car).
Old 07-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by walk0080 View Post
Many of us have seen SmokelessJoe amazing rig setup (MB Sprinter 3500 w/ custom flatbed w/ MINI on top towing a great looking AS), which can be found here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ase-18448.html

I notice that the Sprinter 3500 is almost right up to the 15,000 lbs limit when loaded up. Not to mention the V-6 may have great mileage, but it seems rather underpowered with 300+ ft# and only 188hp. It is also only available in a 2WD setup.

So what about taking a Ford Super Duty Chassis Cab (or equivalent) with its very powerful diesel and a tilt flatbed with ramps or even a Lo-Profile Rollback setup to carry my MINI JCW along with towing a 23'+ AS?

The reason I ask is that I don't like trucks unless there is a use for them. If it can allow me to take my car, a trailer and who knows what other frequent uses (4WD fun? Track day car hauling?), then that is awesome (I can have my cake and eat it too...). To me this is a better solution than having an SUV/SAV towing and for daily driving (but having to leave my MINI behind for a long time).

Thoughts, opinions, suggested sites I check out?

-It seems that low-profile rollback setups are heavy, expensive and complex. They may also be too large considering the shortest setup I found was 19' - overkill for a small car like the MINI. The benefit is that there is no problem loading the low MINI or any other car I may replace it with someday. I suspect the weight issue is not too big a deal considering the weight limits of the Super Duty class. No idea how the rollback setup would affect towing.
-Some people suggest a tilt or dump flatbed with ramps. Probably lighter (especially if aluminum) and less expensive. But not sure if my low profile MINI will work. I am having trouble finding any examples of this setup and if it would work for low cars.
-SmokelessJoe used a custom aluminum flatbed and ramps. His MINI has more ground clearance than mine and the ramps were very long. I don't think using ramps along with a fixed flatbed is an option for me. The ramps would have to be ridiculously long.
I actually saw a rig along these lines once. I wish I'd taken a picture - it was quite a sight. I think it even was a Mini on the back. Basically it was a rollback tow truck towing a big 5th wheel. Oddly enough the campground we were in didn't have space for it.

Are you living in the camper full time or using it for vacations?

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
I actually saw a rig along these lines once. I wish I'd taken a picture - it was quite a sight. I think it even was a Mini on the back. Basically it was a rollback tow truck towing a big 5th wheel. Oddly enough the campground we were in didn't have space for it.
I saw a pic of a big rig that had a Smart car on the back where a sleeper cab would normally be. Looked pretty neat except that I don't want a big rig or a Smart car! :-)

Do you mean your were surprised that there was no room at the site or not surprised? I figure such a setup might be a little tight at some sites and most places would not have room for the rig + trailer + car unhitched/removed. But I suppose the car could be "parked" every night on the truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Are you living in the camper full time or using it for vacations?
It would be a full time live/work setup for an extended period of time. As I don't yet have the truck, trailer, RV, etc. I have flexibility to consider all options.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
If a guy was using a flatbed-roll-back tow truck, there would be few places that could take a TT and the 25 (plus or minus) foot tow truck in any spot. I have a hard enough time with my 30 footer, and suburban set up. Couldn't imagine trying to stuff a tow truck and sedan in a camp spot.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzah View Post
If a guy was using a flatbed-roll-back tow truck, there would be few places that could take a TT and the 25 (plus or minus) foot tow truck in any spot. I have a hard enough time with my 30 footer, and suburban set up. Couldn't imagine trying to stuff a tow truck and sedan in a camp spot.
That's what I figured. Sounds like a pretty long setup.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
It can be done with a full size truck on the rollback!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	163953  
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Oh, that's not good.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
It can be done with a full size truck on the rollback!
Wow from that angle it looks like the truck is almost touching the AS front windows.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #14
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Look at the wheelbase of that tow vehicle. And the swing length. Backing a trailer with one would require quite a lot of room.

A 5500 Dodge would be my choice in this category, but a TV to carry a car seems the wrong direction to take, overall.

Some of the guys on PIRATE4X4 build truck campers, fifth wheels and the like onto gooseneck trailers long enough so that a Jeep or other custom 4WD vehicle can be carried behind it. Some great fun in DIY and nice skill display.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attac...4&d=1234580993

Or, a custom at BLOOMER TRAILER:

Then a DODGE Long Hauler would be the ticket:

http://www.allpar.com/photos/ram/lon...ong-hauler.jpg
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by walk0080
Do you mean your were surprised that there was no room at the site or not surprised? I figure such a setup might be a little tight at some sites and most places would not have room for the rig + trailer + car unhitched/removed. But I suppose the car could be "parked" every night on the truck.
I wasn't surprised they didn't have space - it was huge.

Quote:
It would be a full time live/work setup for an extended period of time. As I don't yet have the truck, trailer, RV, etc. I have flexibility to consider all options.
Okay, then the rigs you're considering make somewhat more sense. You could always park the truck in the overflow lot or whatever; many (but not all) campgrounds have them. Putting the car on the rollback every night would get old very quickly. On the other hand if you don't move around much a regular pickup plus shipping the car as needed might be much cheaper.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:14 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
But way less fun.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX
Look at the wheelbase of that tow vehicle. And the swing length. Backing a trailer with one would require quite a lot of room.

A 5500 Dodge would be my choice in this category, but a TV to carry a car seems the wrong direction to take, overall.
]
Interesting thanks REDNAX for your suggested links. I still think my preference would be a customized Sprinter 3500 towing the car. It would be smaller and the sprinter would be a great stand-alone vehicle for weekend getaways when/if we settle down.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:16 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
Forum revival... Still thinking about this...

Something like Smokeless Joe's setup (photo below using previous generation Sprinter - now for sale BTW), but with a current generation M/B Sprinter 3500 Chassis Cab, MINI JCW and A/S 25FB.

The current generation of Sprinter with more powerful engine could probably handle a MINI or some other lightweight car under 3,000# along with ~7,000# trailer, car bed/ramp modifications and gear. The Sprinter after-market Curt hitch can handle 10,000# with 1,000# tongue using weight distribution. GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) of the Sprinter is 15,250# and max payload is 6,226#. The latest Sprinter will soon have 4x4 available, but NOT on the Chassis Cab versions. Angling the car bed higher near the car could reduce the length of ramps needed for loading... and not having a generator behind the cab like Smokeless Jow would allow slightly longer cars to fit and still allow room for a tire rack above/behind the headache bar.

Alternatively a Ford Super Duty F-350 Chassis Cab, for example, has a similar bed length with the Regular Cab (Super and Crew Cabs would probably be too long - reducing rear bed length) as the Sprinter... but a much higher capacities of GCWR 30,000#, Payload 7,872#, 16,000# towing... and of course very high torque diesel engine AND available 4x4. However, the F-350 appears to be almost 4' longer than the Sprinter - pretty significant (The Fords seem to have very long engine bays vs. Sprinter).

With respect to the overall length of the TV and maneuverability around smaller sites, I suppose a work-around for this issue could be to purchase a 12V trailer dolly to handle the baking-up of the trailer into a site.
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2014, 02:01 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by walk0080 View Post
However, the F-350 appears to be almost 4' longer than the Sprinter - pretty significant (The Fords seem to have very long engine bays vs. Sprinter)..
Can't edit anymore but 170" WB (wheelbase) Sprinter is 270" versus F-350 200.8" WB at 286" overall length which is only 16" difference. Oops.