Old 08-24-2016, 05:52 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Quebec , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggreen63304 View Post
Hi all,
First post on Air Forums after reading for many months. My wife and I are planning our upcoming retirement with an airstream travel trailer. We've decided we would purchase a truck for our TV. Since we are interested in using a gas powered truck, I noticed in the case of a Chevrolet 2500, the HP and torque is not as good as many other 1/2 ton pickups. It does have the payload capacity needed, but would like comments on whether the heavier 2500 with less hp and torque would be a problem towing a FC28 through the rockies?
Thanks for your insight.
The 2500 with the 6.2 litres does exist in the GM line of trucks. It has 300 pounds more payload capacity than the same truck with the Duramax because the engine is lighter. The 6.2 litres in the 2500 has less horsepower's and about the same torque as in the 1500. The reasons are a little bit difficult to understand but it is mainly due to the fact that an engine in a hard working vehicle like a HD truck requires an higher duty factor. What does it means exactly? The engineers at GM have calculated that the engine will work at peak power more often than in the light duty truck (1500). Reducing the max horsepower increase the life of the engine. Another good example of this kind of engineering decision is the Mercedes 3.0 litre diesel. It has 172 horsepower in the truck version but 240 hp in the cars but has nearly the same torque in both vehicles. My final recommendation to you is to go with the Sierra or Silverado 1500 with the 6.2 litre. The 2500 is too much unless you need a higher payload to carry more toys. Enjoy your shopping.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:33 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Saint CHarles , Missouri
I appreciate all who have given their experienced opinions concerning my question. Lastly, it seems the Vortec 6.0 in the 2500 does not use the "active fuel management" that is on the Ecotec engines. I do not trust the longevity of the AFM engines, and want to stay away from them. Thanks all.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:12 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I'd have to check Chevy or GMC's website to confirm the availability of the 6.2 in a 2500-series truck. GM has made a 6.2 liter displacement engine for some time; it's used in the Corvette. The current version (the "Ecotec"), which was introduced in the 2014 model year, differs from the 6.0 in having direct fuel injection into the cylinder (rather than into the intake port) and cylinder de-activation under light load, which closes the valves on 4 cylinders and shuts off fuel flow. Both technologies have had their issues in various engines. DI requires very high pressure in the fuel rail, which makes the high pressure pump a critical part. Dirty fuel, or ethanol blends which absorb water created huge problems for BMW and their owners when they introduced DI some years ago. A second DI problem is accumulating crud on the intake port and valve from oily crankcase ventilation gas. In a port injected engine, this stuff is continuously cleaned off by the fuel being sprayed into the port. There's no such spray in a DI engine. Some VW and first generation Ford "Ecoboost" engines had this problem which requires a tear-down to fix. More recent DI engines address this problem by giving a shot of fuel before the intake valve closes and the piston is beginning the compression stroke, forcing some fuel "backwards" around the valve and through the port. Cylinder deactivation has been/is used by Honda on their V-6, is used by Ram on their 6.4 gas truck engine and has been used on prior versions of the GM 6.2 engine. This has been associated with high oil consumption, I guess associated with running some cylinders with valves closed. The Ecotec engines specify very thin lube oil (0-W20), which suggests they are now built to very tight tolerances.

Also, the Ecotec engines get you the 8-speed transmission, unlike the 6-speed that comes with the 6.0. This matches the engine better to the load and gives the pulling benefits of a numerically high rear axle without the fuel economy penalty. For example, in tow/haul mode, this transmission shifts out of first gear at 3,000 rpm while towing my trailer and locks out 8th gear. In normal mode, not towing, the first shift happens at about 1800 rpm and shifts to 8th gear at about 50 mph at about 1200 rpm.
My truck has 44,000 miles, over 30,000 of which were towing my FC 27. The 6.2/8-speed combination has been flawless for me, achieving sustained fuel economy towing of up 13.8 mpg and not towing of up 24 mpg at 60-65 mph. The only complaint I have about this rig is range-about 220 miles with a reasonable reserve-with the 26-gallon tank. A 2500-series will get you a 35-gallon tank which, with a diesel will get you meaningfully more range and even with a gas motor will probably get you close to 300 mile range. This didn't create a big problem for us, but it meant buying some seriously expensive fuel in places like Death Valley and running down to our last gallon in some remote parts of Nevada. Now that we're considering going to Alaska, this is going to be a concern unless I carry Jerry cans of fuel in the bed, which has its own issues.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:02 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Ggreen, you did not say what you are towing and how much stuff you want to haul with you. Once you know that, you can make an informed decision.

I put 83,000 Mi on my Ram 1500, lately towing a 30 Ft Flying Cloud. The Ram Crew Cab has a 5.7 L Hemi 5 speed automatic, and a 3.92 locking rear end, 20 inch ties. No engine, transmission or rear end problems. I use synthetic oil and change it frequently. Also change transmission and Differential fluid annually. My mileage varies depending on grade and wind but generally runs between 10 and 12 when towing. and 15 and 20 when not towing. My cruise speed is 62 MPH. My GCW is 13900 (vs 15400 max) and my truck GVW is 6900 (vs 6900 max) when hitched. I am at the limit for truck payload with this combination.

I just got back from a trip to the Canadian Rockies and found that I like it best when I limit engine speed to no more than 3000 RPM going up steep grades. That is usually good for 50-55 MPH. If left on cruise control the engine would have to go up to 4000 + RPM to hold that speed, Noise goes up, gas mileage goes down.

Before that I towed a 25 ft Airstream with a Chevrolet Tahoe having a 5.3 L motor, 4 speed automatic, and 3.42 locking rear end. Performance was similar but I found the 3.42 rear end ratio to be too low and going up grades caused me to shift down an extra gear. Should have got the 3.73 rear end.

I hope my experience helps you and wish you well on your choice of truck, trailer and cargo.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:52 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Saint CHarles , Missouri
We do not plan to haul any toys, but will carry a generator and at most 4 adults total. Hope to get a big gas tank in the new truck, and full water and propane tanks, along with just 2 6 volt batteries. No topper or animals.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:06 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Quebec , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naper View Post
The Ford Ecoboost V6 is an impressive tow vehicle. Has more HP and torque than a lot of the V8s. Its worth looking into.
The Ecoboost are good on paper but these are car engines. I have met a lot of people on campground using Ecoboost and those making a lot of miles while towing are replacing the turbos regularly or go back to V8. In Canada Ford is now selling the Ecoboost 3.5 at lower price than the V8, with same equipement, because people needing working or fleet vehicle no longer buy the truck with the Ecoboost. They do not have the required reliability.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:15 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
Facts? Documentation?
Old 09-04-2016, 06:57 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toutsi 1957 View Post
The Ecoboost are good on paper but these are car engines. I have met a lot of people on campground using Ecoboost and those making a lot of miles while towing are replacing the turbos regularly or go back to V8. In Canada Ford is now selling the Ecoboost 3.5 at lower price than the V8, with same equipement, because people needing working or fleet vehicle no longer buy the truck with the Ecoboost. They do not have the required reliability.

In Canada the base engine is a 3.5L V6 non turbo the 5L is a $1800 option and the 3.5L Ecoboost is $2500. The Ecoboost was designed specifically for the F150. I know several people with this engine as well as a Ford mechanic and have heard nothing about turbo problems or reliability issues.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:02 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Saint CHarles , Missouri
Toutsi 1957

I have the same question. Are you speaking from personal experience, if not, how did you come up with comment on the ecoboost vs the v8?
Thanks,
Old 10-01-2016, 06:18 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Any suggestions on keeping the silicone boot to the turbo intercooler attached. It blew off while towing.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:44 AM   #25
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
Van By The River , Georgia
I was confused by the title of this thread and expected to see information related to the Ford Super Duty truck. Now that I see the discussion I'd like to suggest a web site for the OP to check regarding truck tests - gasoline, diesel, 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and much more.

Take a look at The Fast Lane Truck. The site can be a bit overwhelming at first because they test all sorts of trucks. Look around a bit and I think you'll find some useful information.

http://www.tfltruck.com/
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:07 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTravelers View Post
Any suggestions on keeping the silicone boot to the turbo intercooler attached. It blew off while towing.
I would try cleaning the surfaces with a solvent to remove any dirt or grease.
It may be possible to use a bit of Permatex Aviation Form A Gasket.

https://www.permatex.com/products/ga...ealant-liquid/

Check the clamps you are using. Are they worn out?
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:18 AM   #27
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTravelers View Post

Check service manual for correct tightening torque and possibly an incorrect type of hose clamp. On my Cummins these have coil springs to maintain tension.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:46 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Check service manual for correct tightening torque and possibly an incorrect type of hose clamp. On my Cummins these have coil springs to maintain tension.
Those are called "constant torque hose clamps" if you are shopping for them.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote