Old 07-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Congrats on that Pilot. I bet that is one sweet ride! After you get a few tows, report back. Good luck and safe travels.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Actually, a couple weeks ago I got to ride in a friend's 2006 Pilot and I was very impressed with how quiet it was (you could talk inside without raising your voice) and what a nice ride it was over all. I think if I could tow with one of those, that might be just the way to go for us.
A lot of newish vehicles are very quiet. Even our now ten year old G35 at highway speed, towing the trailer has no motor noise. You can hear some wind noise and slight tire noise but over all a quiet cabin.

Quite a difference from the old days. Back in the 50's and 60's my dad never had air in his cars. Day after day of traveling with all the windows down was not fun.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:07 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler

A lot of newish vehicles are very quiet. Even our now ten year old G35 at highway speed, towing the trailer has no motor noise. You can hear some wind noise and slight tire noise but over all a quiet cabin.

Quite a difference from the old days. Back in the 50's and 60's my dad never had air in his cars. Day after day of traveling with all the windows down was not fun.
You reminded me of trips in my moms 1970 Volvo wagon, noisy, ac that smoked and gas fumes, trips seemed much longer then. The pilot feels effortless, and the back up camera for hitching up, a miracle!
Old 07-12-2012, 01:24 AM   #46

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
Unfortunately I can't say any of that about the '95 van! It was such a shock being in a newer vehicle and seeing how quiet it was. Maybe someday...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:05 AM   #47
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Unfortunately I can't say any of that about the '95 van! It was such a shock being in a newer vehicle and seeing how quiet it was. Maybe someday...
I thought my '02 Ram was quiet. my new pickup is less than half as noisy as that was.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #48

1968 17' Caravel
I know I started this thread a long time ago, but we are finally getting serious about car shopping. Spent the whole day out test driving vehicles. We keep going back and forth about replacing the van, or just finding a nice crossover to park beside it and keep it for towing duties. We test drove a Nissan Rogue which is not a tow vehicle candidate, but it was sure a nice ride.

This week we hope to go look at some of the tow vehicle candidates - vehicles with at least 3500# towing capacity. As I said before, the Caravel weighs out fully loaded at 2800#, so something in that range should do the trick, though I may have a hard time mentally convincing myself that something smaller than our mighty van can do the job!

Old 12-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Have you looked at the Honda Ridgeline?
Old 12-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #50

1968 17' Caravel
The Ridgeline is about $10k more truck than we need the Pilot is a possibility though.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
If you want lots of towing "headroom" there's always one of the GM "Lambda" vehicles...Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia or Chevy Traverse -- AWD option with 5200 lb towing capacity. The only major drawback is they aren't very good on gas when not towing...just slightly better than a V8 PU truck. Otherwise they're tough, mid-weight TV's that are quite nice to drive.
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Marine city , Michigan
I tow 2850# with a 2014 Jeep Grqnd Cherokee V6, 8 spd auto. 17 mpg towing at 65 mph, 24 mpg not towing at 78 mph.

Very smooth, quiet, luxurious. Laredo with tow pkg (6200 rating) can be had for low $30s.

www.wanderingourway.wordpress.com
Mcdenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:46 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
I found the Jeep mpg numbers difficult to believe so I googled the specs.

Quote:
The new 3.0L EcoDiesel V6 engine delivers clean-diesel technology with low CO2 emissions. The clean and refined powertrain delivers optimum efficiency with awe-inspiring performance. Combined with the advanced eight-speed automatic transmission, the 2014 Jeep® Grand Cherokee can attain up to 30 hwy mpg+, drive up to 730 miles on one tank+ and tow up to 7,400 pounds+ to fulfill whatever your nomadic heart desires.
Wow, I've been trying to keep tabs on when/if we'd get a decent small diesel in the US market. I'm thinking this must be a legacy of the Mopar-Benz days? One of the impressive things with diesels is they tend to out perform gas engines to an even greater degree in city mpg than highway mpg. Might be time to start looking at a replacement for Fluffy
Old 12-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
That Jeep diesel does look great. Although, when I "build" one on the web site it tends to look more like low $40s than low $30s. The diesel alone is a $4500 option. Nice ride!
Old 12-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #55

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden View Post
I found the Jeep mpg numbers difficult to believe so I googled the specs.

Wow, I've been trying to keep tabs on when/if we'd get a decent small diesel in the US market. I'm thinking this must be a legacy of the Mopar-Benz days? One of the impressive things with diesels is they tend to out perform gas engines to an even greater degree in city mpg than highway mpg. Might be time to start looking at a replacement for Fluffy
The base architecture of the Grand Cherokee/Durango has Mercedes heritage, but the diesel is from VM Motori, a joint venture between Fiat and GM.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:52 AM   #56
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Marine city , Michigan
A V6 gas Laredo can be had for low $30s. Tows 6200#. I can easily beat EPA city-hwy 17/24 numbers driving conservatively.

Diesel or V8 gas tows 7200# (4wd drive models). Msrp of diesel is $4500 plus requires a $4000 luxury package option to boot.

Diesel mileage is better but fuel is more expensive. I could not see how diesel would be enough less expensive than V6 to operate to pay back extra cost. Higher resale probably, though. Certainly nicer to drive with all that torque. I tested a diesel Touareg (almost exact same specs as Jeep) and all that power felt great. Way more $ than Jeep.

PS: Join Tread Lightly for $100 and you can buy any Chrysler product for invoice less 1%, no haggling.

www.wanderingourway.wordpress.com
Mcdenny is offline   Reply With Quote