Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2003, 06:32 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Diana Langley
Suggestions on new tow vehicle

OK, everyone, I've been avoiding turning in my Toyota 4Runner (V6, 3.6 liter) for a larger vehicle for almost a year now. I know it's marginal as a safe puller for my Globetrotter.

I was traveling up Interstate 5 on Sunday talking with a friend about wanting a new tow vehicle but not wanting to spend the $$$, and ended up in a traffic jam. After 20 minutes I saw the cause. A 30' or so white box was in the center median with the entire curbside wall missing, bumper to tongue.
Chairs, clothes, microwave, rolls of paper towels, food and anything else you could think of were all over the freeway. Skidmarks went from one side of the 5 lane freeway to the other.
I felt like it was an omen. So now, I need some feedback. I'm looking for another tow vehicle. Chevy Tahoe's have always caught my eye. but I love the reliability and longevity of Toyotas. I need an SUV or van so I can have my dogs with me in the same space. I am open to a used vehicle, but not too old. I will also use it for my business so it has to look sharp.

I know you all have opinions on this topic, so I'd like to hear your suggestions on what to get and what to avoid.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Diana Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 06:44 AM   #2
Vroom

Mahone Bay
Tow Vehicle

Try the new Limited 4 Runner with the 8 cylinder! It tows 7200 lbs and has a torque of 320. The rear suspension has air levelling to adjust to the weight of the trailer. I have driven it a number of times and am trying to sell my Mercedes SUV to get one for towing my 25' Sovereign. The Toyota also has something to control going down steep hills with a load. My Mercedes and Soveign combination works well except on hills. I have no sway and can hardly tell the trailer is on the back. My fuel consumption is reasonable at around 14 MPG. My trailer weighs 5700 loaded and the Merc weighs 5400. They seem very well balanced that way. The 4 Runner would give a few MPG more.
Richard
Richard Vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 06:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Excuse me

Diana

This may seem silly but, a question.

What is the size of your 65 Globetrotter?
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 07:31 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Diana Langley
It's 20'. Dry weight on the Airstream web site says 2,980, but I've put a new interior in and I know it's more than that now. Tow rating on my current Toyota is 5,000 lbs.
I like the idea of looking at the 4Runner Limited. I thought the only difference with them was the trim package. Thanks for the feedback on that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Diana Langley is offline   Reply With Quote