Old 04-30-2010, 07:30 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member
2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
I think one of the big differences is location. Here in Ohio, very few 2500s are found because very few people need them. With mostly flatlands here and in most neighboring states, a 1500 will suffice for most drivers. And this is the area the used car dealers find their vehicles at auction - not many 2500s. And I've kept my eye on the computer and the newspaper for months without finding one. When one does come up, it has too many miles on it to be of interest. I think I'll quit my search for a new vehicle and look forward to downshifting on inclines and think about disc brakes for the AS. I think their is a solution out there and it doesn't include a new TV.
Thanks for the responses - you folks are really GOOD.

pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:20 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member
2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado

We have a 2500 Suburban to haul our 28' CCD. A great combination though the "Burb" only gets 10 MPG which increases all the way up to 12 MPG here in the city - ouch. When we were looking at what to do about the tv/trailer combination, we were advised to be aware of the GW max for the tv - that it could become an issue in the event of an accident insurance claim?

Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:15 AM   #31
Rivet Master
1973 23' Safari
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Originally Posted by pilgrim View Post
I think one of the big differences is location. Here in Ohio, very few 2500s are found because very few people need them. With mostly flatlands here and in most neighboring states, a 1500 will suffice for most drivers.
Same here in Ontario. To see a 2500 burb is very rare.
Airstreams..... The best towing trailers on the planet!
Road Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:37 AM   #32
2008 27' International CCD FB
N Ft Myers , Florida
I pull a 2007 FB 27 with a 2007 Avalanche with a 5.3 and a 3.72 rear axle and love it. I have been to Alaska and back, and from Cody Wy over the mountains to Sherydan Wy. and no problem. It is also 9in shorter than a Suburban.
Donald Oberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:51 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member
2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
We recently returned from a three week tour of the northern peninsula of lower Michigan. We returned to the many marinas we boated into and out of - to see them again. Also to those parts we visited annually when we were first married - 44 years ago. Lots of tears when my wife revisited the shores of Lake Michigan where she grew up and camped every summer with her parents - both gone now. It was a grand trip. But, I didn't enjoy pulling the AS with the Armada. We had to take it into Camping World for a hitch adjustment as it was really pushing down the rearend of the TV - it has never been a problem in the past. 30 minutes/$40 and we were on our way. No difficult towing but fhe TV seemed to struggle too often. Engine labored and shifted over and over, I simply didn't enjoy the drive as much as before. When we got home, I suggested we start our search over and my wife agreed with me. One "burb 2500 was available w/in 75 miles of central Ohio. The next day we went to look at and found it had EVERY imaginable "add on" except window washing water heater! We've been driving it for three days and really like it - I have no idea how it will tow but, so far, we really like it. If it tows anywhere near as well as all have said, I think we'll be very happy. It's a 2500 4x4 expanded with the 6.0 engine. We liked the price we got for the trade especially after discovering the Armada had been involved in three collisions by the former owner. Now I know why the dealer was reluctant to take it back in trade on a new vehicle and dragged his feet in finding a replacement for me. We're thrilled with it - today when I put gasoline in it for the first time, it took 28 gallons - so it looks like it has a 39 gallon tank - and it tells me we're averaging about 17 mpg meaning we can go quite a ways without having to refill the tank. I have no idea what kind of mileage we'll get with the AS - we leave next week for a trip to DC and then on down thru Virginia before returning to Ohio via W. Va and some hilly country. I'll know more about it in three weeks or so.

Thank you for the many offers of information. We did listen to all and discussed the many suggestions BUT when one isn't happy with the TV one has, it isn't difficult to make the change. Thanks to all........!

(Now I have to figure out how to change my listing of the Armada.)

pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote