Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlavergne View Post
Rich,
What kind of fuel mileage did you get with your Armada...towing and non-towing?
Non-towing, 17-18 MPG highway, 15 around town
Towing, 10-10.5 MPG

It was pretty consistent on fuel, except of course in high wind conditions.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #16
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The last time I looked, there were half a dozen 2000-2009 burbs for sale by dealers in the Minneapolis area in the K2500 configuration, including a couple with big block engines. Color choices are the main problem. A disproportionate number of them are black or white.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:58 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Tom,
With our Armada, we usually run just over 20 m.p.g. without the AS and 12 - 12.5 towing. One day we needed the 4 wheel drive to climb out of the campground and I forgot to take it out of 4 wheel drive once we got on the hwy. We drove all day in 4 x 4 running at 9 m.p.g. Lesson learned that day!! I've been very happy with the fuel mileage - remember, we boated for three years and would run 24-25 gallons per hour through the boat - so whatever we get towing is an improvement.

I look forward to trying the downshifting one gear when the temp. starts to climb. I will have the brakes checked to see everything is done correctly and we'll go from there. If a Hensley is in our future, that's a lot less expensive than a new 'Burb. We'll see what we can learn this summer using the suggestions contained in all the responses. THANKS TO ALL for CHIMING IN!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 11:11 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
You are in Ohio, not that far from Ontario. Why not take your rig up to Can Am and have them have a look at your set up. Chances are all you may need is some minor adjustments or some tweaking. I have talked to so many folks who have done this and were amazed at how much better their rigs felt and performed.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #19
_

. , .
pilgrim

good advice so far, so here's something completely different...

while it is important to make sure the trayla brakes are properly dialed...

there is a LONG history of n/A stopping problems for the 04/05 years.

reportedly WARPED rotors, premature wear (rotors and pads), pad deposits ON the rotors and caliper inadequacies...

supposedly the issues were sporadic and driver/vehicle specific...

but in late 05? there was a TSB from nissan and a fix of some sort.

it wasn't a full on recall but no doubt a company response to widespread issues or IMAGINED issues.

has your suv been through this tsb shakedown?

what SPECIFIC problems have u experienced in regard to slowing/stopping?

u mention a sil'ado with a "small diesel" ...

no such beast, unless it's after market.

3/4 ton burb is a significant upgrade over 1/2 tunner, with many beefier bits...

having used a haha for years, snag a USED one if ya like crappy orange paint...

or go for the new improved PP, either will manage the wheel base issue and firm up the towing...

but IF the handling is squirrely, first thing to check is TV tire inflation pressures...

run them at the MAX sidewall psi for better stability while towing.

does the nis'an have 20 inchers or 18s?

there are LOTS of tv options for a modern 25 footer and many that are better than the burb or a'mada...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:31 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
My specific braking problem has been the need to nearly "stand up" on the brakes to get the feeling they are actually slowing us down. They have always done so, but the feeling is they are barely grabbing and working - they feel like there is something between the brake and the brake pad that is keeping them from stopping the vehicle. It is a scary feeling - especially when the unexpected vehicle pulls in front of me and stops immediately for a traffic light or other traffic situation.

The handling of the rig is not squirrily at all. I've been very happy with how well they work together. I've never had a sway problem or a lack of power problem. I always check the tires for proper inflation before heading out.

The Armada has 18 inchers and YES, I have considered changing the trailer hitch. For some reason I am on the PP mailing list - I get their info regularly. This seems to be the summer we decide if 'streaming is what we want to do. This is our third summer - will we continue? We have long weekend trips planned, a longer trip (or two) through the state of Michigan and into Canada and our long trip will be to visit Charlottsville, Richmond, Williamsburg and Washington D.C. We'll know by the end of this summer if we will continue traveling by AS or return to airplane travel, sleeping in strange beds and eating that crappy restaurant food. Again, THANKS for all the input - we'll continue with the Armada for this summer and fall and then make some decisions.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #21
_

. , .
pilgrim, good info.

IF the handling is fine then the wheelbase is fine.

IF this stopping issue is only while towing...

AND the trailer brakes check out fine, consider a disc brake upgrade for the unit.

for about the same money as a hitch and WAY less than a new tv...

disc brakes are a significant improvement for stopping with stream in tow...

and SOMETIMES there really are problems INSIDE a drum brake...

((note especially posts # 11,14 and 29 below))

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ump-58101.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Indianapolis , Indiana
My son actually stirred me toword the Toureg, I'll have to check out the towing specs.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:03 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
If you are getting into the T-reg level of TT also consider the Mercedes 320/350 ML line. Apparently they perform even better than the T-Reg.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1503.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	312.8 KB
ID:	101475  
Old 04-28-2010, 05:55 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I have towed my 31' Sovereign over 40000 miles with my '04 Titan. Yes, I have spent some time in the Rockies in the "granny" lane doing 45 in 3rd gear. We're talking a very few total minutes in 40000 miles.

Did have rotor warp that the service bulletin took care of way back at about 5000 of towing. Never a problem stopping (I do, of course, keep the trailer brakes maintained...)

I would think about a thorough brake inspection, a Hensley or a PP (although I don't have one) and a tranny cooler if your Armada doesn't have one. Lots of bucks? Well, that is relative to the cost of a new (or sort of new) tow vehicle...

I get around 11 mpg towing which ain't swell (I tow between 55-60 which seems to be the "sweet spot" for my truck).

If you aren't fully committed to an aluminum lifestyle, a TV upgrade may be premature.

My 2 cents,

mike
Old 04-28-2010, 09:27 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
I'm still pretty new at this but I towed our 25' AS with a 2005 Burb Z71, 1500, no problems. Towed from CT to FL inland route thru the high roads and low roads, no problems. 11 mpg towing, 17 mpg no tow.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:04 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Agoura Hills , California
I had a '99 1500 Suburban with a 350, a 4x4. It was a weak TV. I pulled a 19 Bambi from LA to Death Valley and then up through Northern CA. It was 2nd or 3rd gear on any kind of a grade. I sold it to a boating friend of mine who hauls a 27 ft 4200 lb racing sailboat with (huge windage) it. It had 145k on it when I sold it. He exchanged the 350 for a stroked crate engine, 383 CID with an RV grind cam, cleaned up heads, headers and added a new modified injection system from Edelbrock. He gets better mileage pulling the boat, from 9 to 13 mpg. he seldom has to shift down on most hills and since I had upgraded the brakes, he doesn't have any problems going down hill. I had Bilstein shocks and over size Michelin XCH tires on the rig when I sold it to him. Its 11 years old and going strong. If you can find and older Suburban or truck in good shape, upgrading the engine is a decent way to go. Chevy parts are relatively cheap compared to other makes and lots of shops can do the work. I found a set of disc brakes from a 2004 2500 at junk yard and they were an easy swap on the '99. If you look around you can find a diesel 2500 with the Allison 6 spd (it will pull anything) with less than 100k for anywhere from the high teens to low 20's. I found a 2500 with 23k on it for 18.5k, it has an 8 inch lift and I'm going over to the 4x4 shop in the morning to see what it will cost to get it back to stock or drop it to 4 inchs or so, if its feasible I'm buying it.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:21 AM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Chevy parts are relatively cheap compared to other makes and lots of shops can do the work. .
...and this is the rub. Traveling to many remote areas once can fairly easily run into additional parts and service issues with some brands over others.

I have some exp with this because traveling, many times you are "out" there. And you get into a jam, have fun finding a German auto parts place or dealer. Just going from Chicago to the UP one time posed a serious problem with that. Of course less than 50 miles away from where the car broke down was a Ford and GM dealership. Not to say that finding parts when traveling can't be difficult across the board, but odds are getting a domestic part or finding a domestic dealer/parts counter is in fact far easier than that of a Benz or a VW parts or service facility...and the comment on price, well, the Germans make a mean car, and those parts are well built, prob better built than many domestics, but the fact is that the parts for VW and Benz are typically 2x that of a domestic (Ford, Chevy, Dodge). Replaced brakes on a '91 350 SDL, even doing it myself was not an inexpensive job....2x that of any of my Chevys... of course in the end everything costs more year after year....I got my Safari for under $40k roughly 7 years ago. Try doing that today for a 25 footer...and finding parts for the Airstream can not be very easy too sometimes.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:42 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Agoura Hills , California
I talked to an off road shop today about the lifted 2500 I found...its amazing that a lift like the one the pickup has cost the previous owner around 10k in parts and labor.This truck has dual shocks on each corner and all kinds of custom parts, the steering had to be revamped, etc. The off road guy said he'd have to locate stock parts and then figure out what it would cost to bring it back to stock. I guessing it won't be cheap so I think I'm going to say "Bye-bye" to a super nice 2004 2500 crew cab with leather, nav and all the goodied and only 24,000 miles on it. The off road guy said there are alot of these trucks around with dramatic lifts and for the most part they are low mileage and in really good shape as they kind of suck to drive...he also said very few have spent much time off road.