Old 04-12-2007, 02:31 PM   #29
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
GM currently has a Silverado pickup that is a Hybrid. It's been out for about nearly 2 years I think.... Its hard to find the specific specs for towing, but here is the link:

Silverado Classic: Trucks: Chevrolet

I have seen the MPG on the proposed Yukon and Tahoe Hybrid and frankly, the MPG is not that much greater than that of the standard non Hybrid....I would suspect towing, that gap would be closed even further.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:35 PM   #30
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Yes, GM has had a hybrid 1/2 ton pickup for several years now...but I was wondering about heavy duty trucks (3/4 ton and up).

Only hearsay, but I have read, and been told by Chevy dealer, that a diesel Suburban would be out for 08. (Nothing about an Allison though).
If they can put the diesel in a van, why not the Suburban?

It is hard to understand why they pulled the 8.1l so soon...too bad for us towers.

Bill

Old 04-12-2007, 02:37 PM   #31
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
Yes, GM has had a hybrid 1/2 ton pickup for several years now...but I was wondering about heavy duty trucks (3/4 ton and up).

Only hearsay, but I have read, and been told by Chevy dealer, that a diesel Suburban would be out for 08. (Nothing about an Allison though).
If they can put the diesel in a van, why not the Suburban?

It is hard to understand why they pulled the 8.1l so soon...too bad for us towers.

Bill
Bill, I'm with you 110% on this post....all great questions that leave you scratching your head.......
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 04-12-2007, 03:44 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
GM currently has a Silverado pickup that is a Hybrid. It's been out for about nearly 2 years I think.... Its hard to find the specific specs for towing
The towing specs for the Silverado Hybrid is the same as the normal 5.3L V8 - up to a 9,100lb tow capacity (4x4, regular cab, short bed, 4.10 axle). The Silverado's Hybridization is a pretty clever low cost solution - the electric motor doesn't help the Silverado go, it just runs all the extra stuff (A/C, Nav system, stereo, etc.) so they don't pull power from the motor. In particular, this means that the Silverado Hybrid can turn the motor off when you are at a stop light, waiting for your spouse in the Kwik-E-Mart, etc., and still provide A/C.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:52 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lubbock , Texas
I think one reason that diesels will not be out until 2009 is that they will need to pass the 2010 clean air requirements.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:55 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
I, too, have been on the lookout for the hybrid 'burb or a diesel 'burb. Unfortunately, I just read yesterday that the hybrid Tahoe will only have a 6,000 tow rating. Crossed that one off the list.

Now thinking of a diesel p/u or possibly the new Tundra. Really tired of waiting for the diesel 'burb.

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:04 PM   #35
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradhstream
I, too, have been on the lookout for the hybrid 'burb or a diesel 'burb. Unfortunately, I just read yesterday that the hybrid Tahoe will only have a 6,000 tow rating. Crossed that one off the list.

Now thinking of a diesel p/u or possibly the new Tundra. Really tired of waiting for the diesel 'burb.
There are folks that will convert a gasser Burb to Duramax/Allision combo. I'm positive it will cost a pretty penny, but if you already got the 3/4 ton Burb, need the extra tow capacity while still having enclosed interior, it still might be cheaper than a bath that you'd take trading a current newer burb (03-05) to the eventual Burb with a diesel from the factory.

My Burb has a hair less than 10k on the clock, so no Duramax/Allison conversion in my future.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:45 PM   #36
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
So Close

Speaking of the Duramax/Allison conversion; I almost did it a few months ago! Talked with Scott a member here (Scott and Lily) and he concured that that setup in my 93 burb would be gruntoriffic. A heat and air friend was sideswiped in his 04 service truck. He bought it back from the insurance co. and offered it to me for 7 K. Well I looked at everything involved, not that bad when you have the complete vehicle to work with. Long story short- he ended up fixin it and hiring another guy to work for him, oh well my burb will turn 100,000 on the way to Casini in a few weeks, still happy but always lookin. DG

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:51 PM   #37

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
burb

I had a '93 'burb and really loved it. 13 MPG was the daily bad part, with a 42 gallon tank it took a second mortage to fill up. The alternator was undersized, running front and rear air, a tv to keep the kids entertained and some stop and go idling with the electric cooling fan running would pull more juice than the system could keep up with - down goes the volt meter and off goes the rear air and tv before the thing dies. I swapped to a '06 Dodge 3/4 quad cab diesel and I am thrilled. I'm getting 21 mpg on my daily 125 mile commute and 12-14 towing at 70. The only way to tell the 'stream is back there to is look in the mirrors. My SOB RV with a 454 also liked crude (gasoline and oil) in the same quantities as listed above.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:12 PM   #38
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'm very pleased with my '04. Had the niece and nephew with us on one trip, then me and my bros went on another trip last season. The front and rear climate control and the TV/DVD combo kept the passengers entertained during the trip. In the old days, we'd have been wrestless after the first 100 miles, hearing "Don't make me turn this car around!"
Old 04-12-2007, 11:23 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
There is this guy in CO., who makes the conversion from gas to Duramax/Allison combo on 2500 4x4. His last project was a 2005 Suburban and, expertly done. No dealership warranties. His website/price is..pm me
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:41 PM   #40
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think this guy does it too:

DuraMaxSuburban

Would love to know what it costs!

...also wonder what you do when called for emissions around here where they expect a gasser and you show up with an oil burner.....
Old 04-17-2007, 09:04 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
Burb

Thanks Silvertwinkie. I checked out the website. I am about to purchase a new Airstream and we have a lease on a Burb 3/4 ton 6L 4x4 Camper towing specs. One year left on lease. I also am bothered with the diesel issue since I am heavily into Biosiesel been on their forums researchong to produce our own fuel. The problem with the lease is they make sure you are upside down and are forced to just hand back the vehicle. I definitely would like to go diesel next vehicle. I cant believe that by May of 08 GM still would not have a diesel option in the Suburban!
Old 04-23-2007, 07:07 PM   #42

1988 29' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
Suburban 2500 and 28' Airstream

We've towed our 29' 1987 Excella about 40K miles with a 2002 Suburban 2500, 4x4, 8100 engine. We can't tell the Airstream is back there, it is more truck than needed for the job, which translates to peace of mind.

Except for one major recurring problem. We now have 90K miles and are on our third transfer case. Four wheel drive has been engaged once or twice! Neither GM nor the dealer have an explanation. The parts must be rare, in each occurance we had to wait 10 days to get our truck back. I would never buy another GM product, poor design, mfg defects and very poor support for the gulible consumer who purchases their crap!