Old 04-11-2007, 11:47 AM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTruck
What a nice TV that will be. A new generation diesel in a 3/4 ton Suburban. Great mileage and power. We can only dream.
I agree. They already have the 2nd gen Duramax in the 2500 and 3500 cargo van lines.....but in a Suburban or Yukon, what will be nice to see is what it will cost.

As for the oil consumption, right on there, GM says that eating 1qt per oil change is within spec....that seems obnoxious to me. Even our 454 never burned a drop!

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:12 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
River Forest , Illinois
When I first noticed the oil consumption, I assumed it was due to the rings not being fully seated. I mentioned it to my 1st dealer and they ran a valve cleaner through the engine (under warranty) and told me to watch the oil consumption. 1st dealer tees me off (neighbor backs into my front bumper, we go to dealer 1 and parts only are $1,000, Body shop quote is $1,000, dealer 2 parts only are $500. Ends up that dealer 1 marks up GM’s list price substantially. Dealer 1 has lost a customer forever).

Dealer 2, who just happens to be about 500 feet from my AS storage yard, takes a look and puts me on the GM Oil Consumption Test. This test is rather simple; they change the oil and filter and then require a GM dealer to put oil in the truck when needed and fill out a form stating mileage and amount of oil put into vehicle. I’m off on my 5,000 mile trek last summer with trailer in tow. She drinks about 4 quarts of oil on the trip.

While in Alberta Canada I stop at a rural GMC dealer to add some oil. We start chatting about the 8.1 and he tells me that about 80% of his gas engine trucks sold are the big block. He tells me that oil consumption has been an issue, but that they are basically indestructible engines. He suggests that my dealer look into any TSB’s that suggest to retorque the intake manifold bolts.

Back in Chicago, I head to my new dealer for an oil change and Oil Consumption Test results. Report: Within design parameters. The Service Rep had done his homework and had the backup to show me – GM says that a quart every 100 hours is normal. As for the tightening of the intake manifold bolts, that TSB was for an earlier year.

Although I am not happy with the oil consumption, I will keep the truck. Discussions with the local dealer and the dealer in Canada have reassured me that this will not turn into a major rebuild down the line. It is a design issues that basically allows oil to leak into the cylinder. As for my letter regarding this issue to Thomas Stevens, head of GM Powertrain, it still goes unanswered after a year. With such quick corporate response, I can understand why GM will soon be knocked off the number 1 spot after 76 years as the top dog.

Rick

Air #99
WBCCI #8895 (Grandpa's number from the 1960's)
Rick Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by altamont
Welcome to the forum. As a new owner you will gleen a wealth of information here.

I have a 96 454 with towing package and it is perfect for our 27 FB. I would like to get a new TV but GM, in their eternal wisdom, doesn't offer a 2500 model yet. If your burb has the Allison tranny, you are golden for any trailer AS makes.
Best of my knowledge, the Allison is not available in the Suburban with any engine. It would be a sweet combination though.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:59 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Gillis
When I first noticed the oil consumption, I assumed it was due to the rings not being fully seated. .... With such quick corporate response, I can understand why GM will soon be knocked off the number 1 spot after 76 years as the top dog.

Rick
thanks Rick. the other interesting point is that it doesn't blow blue smoke. also, have you heard any discussion on type (synthetic) or weight? The manual recommends 5w-30, which to me, sounds pretty lite for a big block.
as for corporate- yeah, way to respond to your customers....
( also, sorry for highjacking the post )
Old 04-12-2007, 06:01 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeep
Sorry to tell you this, but GM will tell you that this is "normal" In fact I think that is one reason the hour meter was installed. They (GM) has some formula on when to add oil according to hours of use
wonder what that formula is....
this is amazing.. with all the research i did on this vehicle, i never came across any oil burning issues
Old 04-12-2007, 07:19 AM   #20
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Welcome to the forum. As a new owner you will gleen a wealth of information here.

I have a 96 454 with towing package and it is perfect for our 27 FB. I would like to get a new TV but GM, in their eternal wisdom, doesn't offer a 2500 model yet. If your burb has the Allison tranny, you are golden for any trailer AS makes.
??? GM most certainly does sell 2500 (3/4 ton) Suburbans.

No, the Allison tranny, unfortunately, is not offered. From what I understand it will not fit?
We had two Suburbans, and I agree, they are great tow/adventure/family vehicles. We now have a 2006 Duramax Allison (what a tow beast!) and I was skeptical of the mpg claims also. At first it wasn’t any better than the Burbs, but now that we have almost 10 miles, the mpg is very much improved. Last 2 ski trips (3 people, maybe 500# in the bed) I AVERAGED 21 mpg! Hang in there canoestream, the mpg should improve with a few miles.
There are compromises for every type of vehicle, while we really loved the Suburbans, truth is I find a truck more flexible, easier to load up, you don’t have to be as careful throwing “stuff” in the back. The crew cab provides almost as nice an interior, and you can get the same bells/whistles as the Burb; XM, DVD, sunroof, blah, blah, blah. If we could justify two large vehicles, we would still have the Suburban too!
Old 04-12-2007, 07:20 AM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
No Allison is in a Burb that was a factory install. I have seen 2 Burbs with the Duramax/Allision combo installed, but they were done by a 3rd party.

I just saw the movie who killed the electric car last night. The fact that you haven't heard an answer from the company doesn't shock me after seeing the movie. No matter what corp spin GM puts on it, you should see the movie, it will just make you stark raving mad, esp now that gas prices are again at or over $3/gallon.

The good news is that in addition to hybrids, it appears that Toyota will also have a plug in hybrid that may use more electric than gas....something GM had, everyone that had one loved, and they totally blew it....then crushed the cars. Though GM was not totally the sole reason it's gone, clearly they had a hand in it as did a few other entities......

As of the burning of oil, 4 quarts per 100 hours? That's a lot and although it won't harm the engine per se, you may need to change plugs sooner, and who knows what all the extra soot from the burnt oil is gonna do to your converter?! The engine will most likely run forever....the other stuff might not. But, it is a heck of a Burb.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 04-12-2007, 08:59 AM   #22
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I just saw the movie who killed the electric car last night. The fact that you haven't heard an answer from the company doesn't shock me after seeing the movie. No matter what corp spin GM puts on it, you should see the movie, it will just make you stark raving mad, esp now that gas prices are again at or over $3/gallon.

The good news is that in addition to hybrids, it appears that Toyota will also have a plug in hybrid that may use more electric than gas....something GM had, everyone that had one loved, and they totally blew it....then crushed the cars. Though GM was not totally the sole reason it's gone, clearly they had a hand in it as did a few other entities......
Sounds similiar to GM's Volt; The Volt has a battery-powered electric motor that can run the car for up to 40 city miles on a single charge. Beyond that, a gasoline-powered, one-liter, three-cylinder engine can generate electricity to power the car and replenish the battery, with a range of up to 640 miles, GM said.
Should hit the streets soon.
I still can't help wondering; will we ever see heavy duty TV's using hybrid technology?
Or maybe the best we can do is run our diesels on french fry oil/biodiesel... (not a bad option)
Old 04-12-2007, 09:01 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Quote:

GM most certainly does offer a 2500 model (3/4 ton) version of both the Chevrolet Suburban and the GMC Yukon XL in the new body style.
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:01 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lubbock , Texas
The problem with the 2007 3/4 Suburbans/Yukons is that you can only get a 6.0L gas. GM is going to start putting a new generation diesel in their SUVs and 1/2 ton pickups after 2009.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:19 AM   #25

2005 28' International CCD
toronto , on
thanks everyone

just wanted to post a thank you to everyone that responded so promptly to my query ,,,,your advice as helped me immensely as i realy am a babe in the woods when it comes to SUV's with this kind of power.....you guys have basically sold me on it....i was too late on the one i mentioned in my first posting but ive since tracked down another and it has my deposit on it already,,,,,,now id love to hear any advice regarding the best hitch for this TV and a 28' 2005 airstream int ccd...thanks again everyone
Old 04-12-2007, 12:17 PM   #26
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
I am very happy with my Equalizer.

rvwholesalers.com $399

Bill
Old 04-12-2007, 12:38 PM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
Sounds similiar to GM's Volt;
I agree. It would be nice to see as most of us for daily commuting drive less than 60 miles daily. GM's track record isn't the greatest though. Case in point, diesel in the SUVs on or after 2009? Even Ford had diesels in the Excreations. GM currently has the 2nd gen Duramax with what looks like a modified 4L80e behind it in the cargo vans 2500/3500.

Yes, GM does offer 3/4 ton burbs and yukons, but as has been pointed out, only with a 6.0L engine which isn't up to the task of pulling the real big rigs. Seems like they shoulda put the diesel in shortly before or after they yanked the 8.1L. But again, I love GM, but they make decisions sometimes that are way off.

Case in point, in the movie I mentioned earlier, GM didn't get into the Hybrid market because they felt Toyota would be loosing their shirt on the Prius.....we all know how that turned out. Fact is they had the EV1, years before anyone else could even speak the word Hybrid...they blew it then and will most likely continue to miss the boat.

Even the staunch non domestic buyers who were leasing the EV1 were way impressed with it. Hard movie to watch.....as all but one or two of the EV1s were crushed as were the other EV vechicles by other auto makers......none are on the roads today though, so if Volt doesn't materialize, some sort of plug in Prius might and I may have to buy my very first foregin car for my use if that happens, now that $3/gallon seems here to stay.......
Old 04-12-2007, 01:53 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
I still can't help wondering; will we ever see heavy duty TV's using hybrid technology? Or maybe the best we can do is run our diesels on french fry oil/biodiesel...
Toward the end of this year, GMC is coming out with a Yukon Hybrid. They are billing it as a 'two mode' hybrid that allows you to use the extra hybrid power for heavy loads, towing, etc. but I have not yet seen an actual tow rating.