Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2007, 06:20 AM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
No Allison is in a Burb that was a factory install. I have seen 2 Burbs with the Duramax/Allision combo installed, but they were done by a 3rd party.

I just saw the movie who killed the electric car last night. The fact that you haven't heard an answer from the company doesn't shock me after seeing the movie. No matter what corp spin GM puts on it, you should see the movie, it will just make you stark raving mad, esp now that gas prices are again at or over $3/gallon.

The good news is that in addition to hybrids, it appears that Toyota will also have a plug in hybrid that may use more electric than gas....something GM had, everyone that had one loved, and they totally blew it....then crushed the cars. Though GM was not totally the sole reason it's gone, clearly they had a hand in it as did a few other entities......

As of the burning of oil, 4 quarts per 100 hours? That's a lot and although it won't harm the engine per se, you may need to change plugs sooner, and who knows what all the extra soot from the burnt oil is gonna do to your converter?! The engine will most likely run forever....the other stuff might not. But, it is a heck of a Burb.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:59 AM   #22
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I just saw the movie who killed the electric car last night. The fact that you haven't heard an answer from the company doesn't shock me after seeing the movie. No matter what corp spin GM puts on it, you should see the movie, it will just make you stark raving mad, esp now that gas prices are again at or over $3/gallon.

The good news is that in addition to hybrids, it appears that Toyota will also have a plug in hybrid that may use more electric than gas....something GM had, everyone that had one loved, and they totally blew it....then crushed the cars. Though GM was not totally the sole reason it's gone, clearly they had a hand in it as did a few other entities......
Sounds similiar to GM's Volt; The Volt has a battery-powered electric motor that can run the car for up to 40 city miles on a single charge. Beyond that, a gasoline-powered, one-liter, three-cylinder engine can generate electricity to power the car and replenish the battery, with a range of up to 640 miles, GM said.
Should hit the streets soon.
I still can't help wondering; will we ever see heavy duty TV's using hybrid technology?
Or maybe the best we can do is run our diesels on french fry oil/biodiesel... (not a bad option)
Old 04-12-2007, 08:01 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by altamont
Welcome to the forum. As a new owner you will gleen a wealth of information here.

I have a 96 454 with towing package and it is perfect for our 27 FB. I would like to get a new TV but GM, in their eternal wisdom, doesn't offer a 2500 model yet. If your burb has the Allison tranny, you are golden for any trailer AS makes.
GM most certainly does offer a 2500 model (3/4 ton) version of both the Chevrolet Suburban and the GMC Yukon XL in the new body style.
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:01 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lubbock , Texas
The problem with the 2007 3/4 Suburbans/Yukons is that you can only get a 6.0L gas. GM is going to start putting a new generation diesel in their SUVs and 1/2 ton pickups after 2009.
RedTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:19 AM   #25

2005 28' International CCD
toronto , on
thanks everyone

just wanted to post a thank you to everyone that responded so promptly to my query ,,,,your advice as helped me immensely as i realy am a babe in the woods when it comes to SUV's with this kind of power.....you guys have basically sold me on it....i was too late on the one i mentioned in my first posting but ive since tracked down another and it has my deposit on it already,,,,,,now id love to hear any advice regarding the best hitch for this TV and a 28' 2005 airstream int ccd...thanks again everyone
cchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:17 AM   #26
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
I am very happy with my Equalizer.

rvwholesalers.com $399

Bill
Old 04-12-2007, 11:38 AM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
Sounds similiar to GM's Volt;
I agree. It would be nice to see as most of us for daily commuting drive less than 60 miles daily. GM's track record isn't the greatest though. Case in point, diesel in the SUVs on or after 2009? Even Ford had diesels in the Excreations. GM currently has the 2nd gen Duramax with what looks like a modified 4L80e behind it in the cargo vans 2500/3500.

Yes, GM does offer 3/4 ton burbs and yukons, but as has been pointed out, only with a 6.0L engine which isn't up to the task of pulling the real big rigs. Seems like they shoulda put the diesel in shortly before or after they yanked the 8.1L. But again, I love GM, but they make decisions sometimes that are way off.

Case in point, in the movie I mentioned earlier, GM didn't get into the Hybrid market because they felt Toyota would be loosing their shirt on the Prius.....we all know how that turned out. Fact is they had the EV1, years before anyone else could even speak the word Hybrid...they blew it then and will most likely continue to miss the boat.

Even the staunch non domestic buyers who were leasing the EV1 were way impressed with it. Hard movie to watch.....as all but one or two of the EV1s were crushed as were the other EV vechicles by other auto makers......none are on the roads today though, so if Volt doesn't materialize, some sort of plug in Prius might and I may have to buy my very first foregin car for my use if that happens, now that $3/gallon seems here to stay.......
Old 04-12-2007, 12:53 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Quote:
I still can't help wondering; will we ever see heavy duty TV's using hybrid technology? Or maybe the best we can do is run our diesels on french fry oil/biodiesel...
Toward the end of this year, GMC is coming out with a Yukon Hybrid. They are billing it as a 'two mode' hybrid that allows you to use the extra hybrid power for heavy loads, towing, etc. but I have not yet seen an actual tow rating.
ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:31 PM   #29
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
GM currently has a Silverado pickup that is a Hybrid. It's been out for about nearly 2 years I think.... Its hard to find the specific specs for towing, but here is the link:

Silverado Classic: Trucks: Chevrolet

I have seen the MPG on the proposed Yukon and Tahoe Hybrid and frankly, the MPG is not that much greater than that of the standard non Hybrid....I would suspect towing, that gap would be closed even further.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:35 PM   #30
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Yes, GM has had a hybrid 1/2 ton pickup for several years now...but I was wondering about heavy duty trucks (3/4 ton and up).

Only hearsay, but I have read, and been told by Chevy dealer, that a diesel Suburban would be out for 08. (Nothing about an Allison though).
If they can put the diesel in a van, why not the Suburban?

It is hard to understand why they pulled the 8.1l so soon...too bad for us towers.

Bill
Old 04-12-2007, 01:37 PM   #31
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thumbs up

Quote:
Yes, GM has had a hybrid 1/2 ton pickup for several years now...but I was wondering about heavy duty trucks (3/4 ton and up).

Only hearsay, but I have read, and been told by Chevy dealer, that a diesel Suburban would be out for 08. (Nothing about an Allison though).
If they can put the diesel in a van, why not the Suburban?

It is hard to understand why they pulled the 8.1l so soon...too bad for us towers.

Bill
Bill, I'm with you 110% on this post....all great questions that leave you scratching your head.......
Old 04-12-2007, 02:44 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
GM currently has a Silverado pickup that is a Hybrid. It's been out for about nearly 2 years I think.... Its hard to find the specific specs for towing
The towing specs for the Silverado Hybrid is the same as the normal 5.3L V8 - up to a 9,100lb tow capacity (4x4, regular cab, short bed, 4.10 axle). The Silverado's Hybridization is a pretty clever low cost solution - the electric motor doesn't help the Silverado go, it just runs all the extra stuff (A/C, Nav system, stereo, etc.) so they don't pull power from the motor. In particular, this means that the Silverado Hybrid can turn the motor off when you are at a stop light, waiting for your spouse in the Kwik-E-Mart, etc., and still provide A/C.
ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:52 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lubbock , Texas
I think one reason that diesels will not be out until 2009 is that they will need to pass the 2010 clean air requirements.
RedTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:55 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
I, too, have been on the lookout for the hybrid 'burb or a diesel 'burb. Unfortunately, I just read yesterday that the hybrid Tahoe will only have a 6,000 tow rating. Crossed that one off the list.

Now thinking of a diesel p/u or possibly the new Tundra. Really tired of waiting for the diesel 'burb.

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:04 PM   #35
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradhstream
I, too, have been on the lookout for the hybrid 'burb or a diesel 'burb. Unfortunately, I just read yesterday that the hybrid Tahoe will only have a 6,000 tow rating. Crossed that one off the list.

Now thinking of a diesel p/u or possibly the new Tundra. Really tired of waiting for the diesel 'burb.
There are folks that will convert a gasser Burb to Duramax/Allision combo. I'm positive it will cost a pretty penny, but if you already got the 3/4 ton Burb, need the extra tow capacity while still having enclosed interior, it still might be cheaper than a bath that you'd take trading a current newer burb (03-05) to the eventual Burb with a diesel from the factory.

My Burb has a hair less than 10k on the clock, so no Duramax/Allison conversion in my future.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:45 PM   #36
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
So Close

Speaking of the Duramax/Allison conversion; I almost did it a few months ago! Talked with Scott a member here (Scott and Lily) and he concured that that setup in my 93 burb would be gruntoriffic. A heat and air friend was sideswiped in his 04 service truck. He bought it back from the insurance co. and offered it to me for 7 K. Well I looked at everything involved, not that bad when you have the complete vehicle to work with. Long story short- he ended up fixin it and hiring another guy to work for him, oh well my burb will turn 100,000 on the way to Casini in a few weeks, still happy but always lookin. DG

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:51 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
burb

I had a '93 'burb and really loved it. 13 MPG was the daily bad part, with a 42 gallon tank it took a second mortage to fill up. The alternator was undersized, running front and rear air, a tv to keep the kids entertained and some stop and go idling with the electric cooling fan running would pull more juice than the system could keep up with - down goes the volt meter and off goes the rear air and tv before the thing dies. I swapped to a '06 Dodge 3/4 quad cab diesel and I am thrilled. I'm getting 21 mpg on my daily 125 mile commute and 12-14 towing at 70. The only way to tell the 'stream is back there to is look in the mirrors. My SOB RV with a 454 also liked crude (gasoline and oil) in the same quantities as listed above.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:12 PM   #38
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'm very pleased with my '04. Had the niece and nephew with us on one trip, then me and my bros went on another trip last season. The front and rear climate control and the TV/DVD combo kept the passengers entertained during the trip. In the old days, we'd have been wrestless after the first 100 miles, hearing "Don't make me turn this car around!"
Old 04-12-2007, 10:23 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
There is this guy in CO., who makes the conversion from gas to Duramax/Allison combo on 2500 4x4. His last project was a 2005 Suburban and, expertly done. No dealership warranties. His website/price is..pm me
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:41 PM   #40
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think this guy does it too:

DuraMaxSuburban

Would love to know what it costs!

...also wonder what you do when called for emissions around here where they expect a gasser and you show up with an oil burner.....