Old 01-22-2006, 10:14 AM   #15
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Originally Posted by FiveGreers
Yes, understand now how the wdh works! The gvwr is 5600lb. on the 22'. I think we'll have the dealer do ALL the work that needs to be done for us to pull her home- -that way, there should be NO question of what we have or are missing!

Be careful. If the dealer is a good one, great, but I did the same thing and let the dealer do the original hitch install, with weight bars, etc. Check with the hitch manufacturer and here to make sure the dealer is getting you the right weight bars if you have any doubts he/she is getting you the right gear.

I found on this forum that there is such a thing as being overhitched. My first hitch buying exp showed about a year later I was severly overhitched with 1200lb bars with a Bambi and a 1/2 ton equive tow vehicle.

I now run smaller bars and may even go smaller still.

Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 03:33 PM   #16
. , .
hi five and others

selecting wd bars is pretty simple.......and based on tongue weight.

this is my understanding......

if 600lbs on tongue......600lb bars
if 800lbs on tongue......800lb bars
if 1000lbs on tongue....1000lb bars.......

bar ratings mean that when fully tightened up,
bars can redistribute the 'rating'

in between, opt for next rate up unless the t.v. is so heavily sprung as to not need wd bars anyway.....then go with lower number.

based on "loaded" trailer tongue weights not empty the trailer is full of crap and the lp tanks are full. moving cargo around can change tongue load significanly....goal is 10-15% of total loaded trailer weight.

gotta go to the cat scales and measure t.v. axle weights with bars engaged to confirm sizing and set up. with the higher rated bars they may not need to be fully tightened....and if bars selected are underrated they may not ideally redistribute even when fully tightened.

2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 07:08 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2007 25' Classic
1993 21' Sovereign
Elm Grove , Wisconsin
We had a 2001 Yukon 5.3l/3.73 towing a 21ft Sovereign. Loaded weight is around 5000lbs. Towing was fine in the Mid-West, but less than a joy in the Rockies! We slowed to 22mph on some of the climbs! Not something that I would recommend. We sold the Yukon and went with a Sierra Denali AWD, 6.0 l, quadrasteer & 4.10 differential. Night and day difference!!
jhart657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Several WDH choices..

Someone will undoubtedly wiegh in with Hensley Hitch recommendation, which I think a little much for your 22' Safari, but there are also other choices...

Reese and others use spring bars to provide anti-sway stability as well, while Draw-Tite (I think..) uses spring bars solely for wieght distributing, and separate friction bar for anti-sway... There are numerous searchable threads on trailer weighing (using truck scales) and booster springs etc to provide more background, but you should be fine with almost nay WDH and anti-sway setup and the 1500 Suburban..

Looking forward to pictures and a report when you get it home from dealer..

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:50 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
Crestview , Florida
I'm looking forward to being able to post pictures and giving a report- ! We did find storage today, which was a big load off my mind. We also have found our wdh but the sway control is separate. Probably heading up to Camping World on Tuesday to pick it up-well, that depends on what the dealer down in Tampa comes up with-we told her what we need, so we'll see what she can do for us.
FiveGreers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 11:04 PM   #20
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks for the tip SilverTwinkie. I copied down all the numbers from the tag in the glovebox, only 55 sets of them, and checked with your Caprice link. Found out I have 3.42 gears, 100 amp generator, 4L60E transmission and 6200 GVWR plus a few other items not as interesting. Been wondering about this for a long time. Kudos to you. Thanks.

4CU 2699 / AIR 10 / TAC AZ-1

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:01 AM   #21
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Glad it helped!

Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote