Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2006, 08:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Stupid truck question - for next tow vehicle

(I have a feeling this should go under "Here's your sign" but ...)

My Chevy S-10 4x4 ran afoul of a much larger vehicle a couple of weeks ago & the insurance company has totaled it, so now I need a new truck. I'm gravitating toward another extended-cab S-10 because it was small yet versatile (it's my only vehicle), big enough to haul dirt, and strong enough to tow the Bambi. On chat night, though, someone suggested that I test drive a Silverado, but I just drove by one at a dealer & it looks like MONSTER TRUCK to me. It had to be 3 feet longer than the Ford Ranger next to it & very tall & cavernous.

I just can't see piloting that tank around day to day. So, uh, is little truck/MONSTER TRUCK the only choice, or is there something in the middle?

And no giggling on the part of you folks who swap out drive trains or gears or whatever the heck it is that you do when you tinker with an engine. I won't stand for it.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:26 PM   #2
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi summerkid--Silverados come in many lengths, and heights. Take a look at a 1/2 ton Silverado with an extended cab, and a short box. This is similiar to what you had with the Chevy S-10, only one size larger. Price is probably about the same.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Aha! So the model name is just a random agglomeration of amorphous truck parts? They should call them all something different then. Like, a 4WD XTcab 6ft bed could be a Silverado but a 2WD is .... a SilverBeltBuckle ... and the 8ft bed with crew cab would be a .... SilverChalice.

Or something.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:03 PM   #4
_

. , .
hi summerkid...

sorry to read about your bang up...hope no one was hurt.

it might be time to think way beyond the ford/ge'em options...

with your small trailers there are lots of possiblities...

gas or diesel, domestic or import. asian or european...

dodge, toyota, vw, nissan, honda and many others could work...

you need to think some and offer up a price range and other deal makers/breakers...of course IF you really liked the last ride...get another!

shopping used vehicles really IS a broad issue...no pun intended.

as for the any 1/2 truck...size and space issues and driving quirks adapt very quickly...
within a week of daily driving you will be fine with parking, turning, ride height and so on....

it may take longer to get used to the color, or finding the gas inlet...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
My V-6 Ranger Extended cab 4X4 and my F-150 Extended cab 4X4 short bed got the same mileage. The differance was that the F-150 was a breeze pulling my old 19 Safari. No more difficult to drive and park either.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
My head shall explode shortly.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:22 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Duluth , Minnesota
Hey Summerkid,

If you're a Chevy guy - have you thougth about the new Colorado? (or is that now the new S-10?)

If you're open to the options, I have several friends that are Toyota fanatics. They claim they'll do it all... from Hauling to towing to making toast. I am a monster truck guy personally, but the Toyota crowd enjoys passionate loyalty, probably a decent option... I have driven them and love the ride. Then again, next to a F350 a lumber-wagon has a good ride! Too small for my other uses though. FWIW loyalty usually follows logic. There is typically good reason for their passion... Probably worth some consideration.
skykingpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Thanks, 2air, nobody was hurt, which makes me damn lucky because I was the one zoning out as I came around a blind downhill curve in the middle of the night.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:35 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Duluth , Minnesota
GLAD YOU'RE OK! The truck is just a pointless hunk of steel... and replaceable! Then again I think that's what my kids say about me...
skykingpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Sometimes ...

... a "new" truck can make you as giddy as a "new" Airstream can! I took everyone's advice (thanks especially to wahoonc for bringing up the idea during chat) and went a step bigger. Granted, the replacement S-10 I was looking at would have allowed me to pocket 3k of the insurance settlement, but for $9,500 I got a 2001 F-150 with a Triton V8 & only 68,000 miles, plus a jillion fancy touches like heated seats & a compass! (Look, I've never even had power windows before, so this truck feels like a palace.) I hope forgoing the 4WD helps offset the bigger engine when it comes to gas. The only other downside is facing the same learning curve as when I went from a subcompact to a light truck: There's a lot more weight & surface area to be aware of and, where the S-10 didn't stop on a dime, this one doesn't even stop on a quarter! Pix: http://www.premierautoauctions.com/d...px?iid=1171978

Totally off topic: I think I got a decent deal on this truck but these guys were the most lackadaisical salesmen EVER. And if you look at the dealer's ebay feedback, it's beyond wonky. Selling used cars on ebay must be even more of a minefield than Airstreams. Then again, when I first went to look at the truck, they just handed me the keys & said, "It's on the right. You can't miss it." They were correct---how do you miss a truck with its moonroof open during a downpour? If someone had made an appointment to see a vehicle, wouldn't you go over it with white gloves & make sure it's showcased out front? And that it's not filling up with rainwater? When I went back TWO DAYS LATER to pick it up, the console was STILL full of water. And they started pouting about wanting the aftermarket Polk speakers out of it. I just said, "Uh, what have you guys been doing since I called & said I'd be by Thursday at 6 o'clock sharp?" They're lucky I had my heart set on this truck, but how often can you assume that about a buyer?
Old 09-13-2006, 08:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I went from a Ranger to a SCREW 4 years ago, never looked back. You have a very nice truck. I pull my 25' trailer with the 5.4 with no problems. I am of course thinking about a PSD.

Good Luck Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:34 PM   #12
_

. , .
way2go summerkid...

looks like a lot of truck, still pretty new, plenty of features...and so on.

the one picture of tires suggests that you may need new ones soon...

and with 2 wd; living where it gets cold and snows...

i'd want real snow tires for winter...

i'm not a big fan of all seasons, i'm sure other folks may be...

i suppose there are light truck tire options that cover all bases...

just watch your tires...

looks like you could make it to a rally or 2 now...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
DEFINITELY new tires. They gave me $250 credit for that. And to my untrained eyes, the truck has "electrical trailer tow" parts in key places. So maybe it will be an easy job to reinstall my old brake controller? I have a '64 Globetrotter to pick up next week.

This is my favorite part of the owner's manual so far:

USING YOUR VEHICLE AS AN AMBULANCE
"Do not use this vehicle as an ambulance. Your vehicle is not equipped with the Ford Ambulance Preparation Package."

Who knew?! Now I feel like I'm missing out on something. Maybe I could use the soft tonneau cover as a stretcher, though?
Old 09-13-2006, 09:36 PM   #14
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid
USING YOUR VEHICLE AS AN AMBULANCE
"Do not use this vehicle as an ambulance. Your vehicle is not equipped with the Ford Ambulance Preparation Package."

Who knew?! Now I feel like I'm missing out on something. Maybe I could use the soft tonneau cover as a stretcher, though?
I drove a Ford Econoline E350 for a short while with the Ambulance prep package - that was one stout vehicle.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Forget the F-150 with heated seats. What I really NEED is one of those hearse-equipped Airstream motorhomes pulling an Econoline ambulance as a "toad."
Old 09-13-2006, 10:18 PM   #16
_

. , .
yea i thoought the ambulance disclaimer was pretty funny too...still do.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...69-post73.html

you may have a warning sticker like this somewhere on the door pillars too...

unless someone removed the warning sticker...

now lets see, where is that warning about not removing warnings...

cheers
2air'

Old 09-14-2006, 05:27 AM   #17
Trailerite

1971 23' Safari
Riverton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
unless someone removed the warning sticker...

now lets see, where is that warning about not removing warnings...

cheers
2air'
The Mattress Police are still looking for me about that mattress tag I removed in 1976...
Old 09-14-2006, 05:46 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Anderson , South Carolina
Couple of Ideas. Have you looked at the Nissan Titan or the Toyota T-100. The Titan is a great truck, my neighbor has one and is very pleased. Pretty good gas mileage too. I have a Toyota Tacoma that is a tuff little truck wouldn't use it for towing but the T-100 or maybe the Tundra will most likely handle the Bambi. I have owned Dodge Dakotas and have been happy with the truck the interior not so much but that is a different story.

The only stupid questions is the question not asked. Good luck on your hunt. Don't let the gear heads scare you they are probably on a different forum right now asking questions about their trucks.
"We've got PBS minds in a MTV world" J.B.
GoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:57 AM   #19
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid
(I have a feeling this should go under "Here's your sign" but ...)

My Chevy S-10 4x4 ran afoul of a much larger vehicle a couple of weeks ago & the insurance company has totaled it, so now I need a new truck. I'm gravitating toward another extended-cab S-10 because it was small yet versatile (it's my only vehicle), big enough to haul dirt, and strong enough to tow the Bambi. On chat night, though, someone suggested that I test drive a Silverado, but I just drove by one at a dealer & it looks like MONSTER TRUCK to me. It had to be 3 feet longer than the Ford Ranger next to it & very tall & cavernous.

I just can't see piloting that tank around day to day. So, uh, is little truck/MONSTER TRUCK the only choice, or is there something in the middle?

And no giggling on the part of you folks who swap out drive trains or gears or whatever the heck it is that you do when you tinker with an engine. I won't stand for it.
Dodge Dakota would be mid-size...
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote