Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2012, 06:49 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Turbos have been used on large trucks for decades. Turbos got a bad name in the 80's when they were first put on cars. A lot of them were not water cooled and consumers did not know how to take care of them and let the turbo cool a little before shutting them off. Many of them were cheaply made as well. Also you take a 4 cylinder engine and double the HP then things are going to break. Engines that are designed form the bottom up for a turbo are just as reliable as anything else. It is not uncommon to get several hundred k out of the early powerstrokes.

Use synthetic oil because it makes the turbo last longer and the rest of the engine as well.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
And that's part of the question. I'm not a diesel guy either. Never owned one, but have driven a few courtesy of Uncle Sam. I'm curious of the members here that may own/have owned this era truck what they are like mechanically. One thing that bothers me is that this one is turbo charged. How reliable are these critters? Legend has it that diesels last for hundreds of thousands of miles. What about those built in this time?

Jim
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Ann Arbor , Michigan
My 94 F250 rusted out at the rear spring perches, my bolt in Ford hitch, and brake lines on the inside frame rails under the cab. Much other rust as well, but not as critical as those. Took about 12 years in Michigan. The truck you show isn't rusty from my perspective!
powool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Jim:

I have been looking also. The more I look the more confused I get and the louder Adrienne's voice gets with the word NO!

Brian
Old 04-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Turbos,,, if one allows them to have a cool down moment after a hard pull,, will last almost 2 engine life's.. That is to say to just pull off the road after a hard pull and not let them idle a few minutes to cool down will bake the oil inside and apply too much heat to the oil seals..

From the photos,, like they said above,, check out the trans condition and if the price is right I would jump all over it..

The best trick on any auto trans,, if they are constantly searching for a gear to run in,, just pull it back a notch and let them run in that gear till the hills settle down or conditions change.. That gear hunting between direct and overdrive is hard on them..

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote