Old 08-13-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
Stress Measuring

Don't want to get contensious (sic), know how easy it is to blow off steam (me too)).
But I wonder, has anybody ever used , like strain gages, or accelerometers, mounted in TTs, and TVs, to measure ,and record the actual real time enviroment of a "emergency manuver".
The most simple one , would probebly be a "slap on the binders", while staying, (or trying to), in a line/lane.
Of course, things aren't always so easy, but maybe some computer analized data from some manuvering, etc., might produce some intresting results.
I guess a big hurdle, might be the results, from say, a "big square box", vs., and AS., oh, and what about "wind", from natural sources, or from a passing big rig.
Anyway, it seems like a lot of food for thought.
Like, when the trailer brakes go full on, (in the sense of maximum effort, before lockup), with the center of gravity being above the wheel bearings, a very powerfull down force should be applyed to the hitch. What kind of loads are we talking about?

rangebowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I am familiar with the techniques and the equipment necessary to conduct such experiments. I used them when I was at Outboard Marine Corporation to evaluate and improve the performance of our boat trailers as well as outboard motor performance on the water. I have never seen anything like that equipment or indications that Airstream engineering conducts such tests when I visited the Jackson Center location. A couple years ago it looks like they contracted out, to an independent test lab, the video highway testing rather than doing it themselves. I think the testing was done principally for advertising and marketing purposes and an independent lab gave more credibility to the testing. The equipment necessary to conduct this kind of instrumented tests is not cheap. The high frequency recording techniques to capture the events and then analysis it later is also expensive. I personally still have real time vibration and stress analysis equipment, but do not have equipment to mount it in a mobile tow vehicle or the necessary recording and analysis equipment.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote