Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2006, 10:08 AM   #41
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR
Hey guys...just wait until you just HAVE to have the new 2008 F-450! Not kidding...do a search...massive capacities. Probably great for the monster 5'ers but SOME will HAVE to have one and hook up to their ASs ...Make mine a King Ranch version! Tom R in Two Harbors, Minnesota...snow tomorrow?
OMG!!

I just looked. Did I read that right? A 5000lb tow capacity increase? This one oughta be able to shake a few rivets out.

I love how they said "But Ford is mum about its fuel-economy numbers thus far."

I would be too.

You can see some info here:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=116965
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:21 AM   #42
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Ford F-450

Whats this about a bed extender? If the bed is long enough, it might be just the thing to carry my Tradewind.

Then I could tow my boat behind.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 11:22 AM   #43
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
new fords? yawn!

i work with them at the power company every day.

we have had the new f550's and 450's at work for about 2 years now. here is what i know about them so far.

the seats are hard as rocks.

the power steering is under powered.

it has manual lock out hubs on the 4 wd models.

they are loud.

they smell, i do not know if they have catylitic converters... you cannot breathe when working next to them.

if you plan on doing any work in 4 wheel drive low range with the throttle wide open turn on the windshield wipers first, before you get 100 yards the coolant will blow out of the overflow and go all over the windshield! not kidding!

no voltmeter on dash, you really have no idea if it is charging or not.

and worst yet, do not plan on ever changing tires without the assistance of a well equiped medium duty truck shop. the rims are press fit on the hubs, you need a rim puller and a 1 inch air impact wrench to remove them. get a flat, get a tow truck.

these are my observations after living with them every day.

i like internationals far better.

john
Old 10-28-2006, 07:30 PM   #44
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
HI, John,

I don't think we're talking about the same trucks. You're talking about the medium-duty/heavy-duty commercial truck range - the big honkers.

Basically, this is an added vehicle in the 250/350 PICKUP series. I'm taking it that these trucks will have user-changeable tires if they are to sell to the RV and hotshot folks. Also, this should indicate that they'll have the same interior accouterment and options as the other models in their range.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:49 AM   #45
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Yes, this is supposed to be a NEW model in the line-up. You wouldn't have had one for two years already unless you were part of the Ford testing program and then it would have been so camoflaged that you probably wouldn't have known it!

This is something like an F-350 on Steroids! Or as I like to put it, "A truck for the testosteron challenged....or testosteron over indulged!"

It's a great looking truck, and I'd like it in a 3/4, F-250, but it is too much truck for my needs. I especially like the his-n-her temperature control. Never can make the Missus comfortable without sweatin' to death.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:05 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Has anyone tried the MOR / ryde shackel system? If so, how do you rate it ?
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:10 PM   #47
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcru
Has anyone tried the MOR / ryde shackel system? If so, how do you rate it ?
Torsion axles are sensitive to out of balance running gear.

Mor/Ryde equipped axles are "EXTREMELY" sensitive to out of balance running gear.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:11 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I just received my air-safe hitch. I have not even set it up yet but I am hoping it will help with my new to me Dodge 3500 Dually. I guess if it is still to stiff I will adjust the suspension/springs. Any one done this with a Dodge? I like the idea of more traction and more stability and it makes sense to me to have the stability and if the harshness can be taken out seems like it would be the best set up?
Phil Gobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 01:38 PM   #49
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Red face Ooops, I shouldn't said that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Yes, this is supposed to be a NEW model in the line-up. You wouldn't have had one for two years already unless you were part of the Ford testing program and then it would have been so camoflaged that you probably wouldn't have known it!

This is something like an F-350 on Steroids! Or as I like to put it, "A truck for the testosteron challenged....or testosteron over indulged!"

It's a great looking truck, and I'd like it in a 3/4, F-250, but it is too much truck for my needs. I especially like the his-n-her temperature control. Never can make the Missus comfortable without sweatin' to death.

You know what they say about eating your words? Well, I just got back from my first trip towing with my new '08 F-250 PSD Super Duty. It is not a truck for the testosterone challenged...or testosterone over indulged. An F-450 might have been, but believe me, the new F-250 is, if anything, less powerful than the '05 F-250 I traded in on it.

While I've brought it up, I traded because the seats in the '05 were very uncomfortable and aggravated an old back injury I have and the '08 has better riding seats so I traded. The newly designed suspension is also less harsh than the '05's was so it is much more comfortable than the ride in my '05 was on the same 7-1/2 hour one-way tow. While the fuel economy is really bad (9.5 towing vs. 12.6 towing with the '05), I am glad I traded.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote