Old 07-08-2014, 07:51 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Standardized tow ratings

This ought to start a couple new arguements....I found this article on the internet this morning....check it out, I'm sure the fun will begin...

Why Your Pickup Truck?s Tow Rating is BS » AutoGuide.com News

Larry C

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
I had heard about the J2807 standard and that only Toyota was currently following it but had not seen a full article about it. This was very interesting, thanks for posting. Odd that Ford helped develop the standard but won't give a reason why they wouldn't implement it in this model year. I would think it would be a selling point for those that do.

For me, I'd prefer an accepted industry agreed to standard over a single auto manufacturer's claim. I didn't know that horsepower was being measured in different ways. Seems like we need more industry agreed upon standards so the consumer can make an intelligent choice.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
I had heard about the J2807 standard and that only Toyota was currently following it but had not seen a full article about it. This was very interesting, thanks for posting. Odd that Ford helped develop the standard but won't give a reason why they wouldn't implement it in this model year. I would think it would be a selling point for those that do.

For me, I'd prefer an accepted industry agreed to standard over a single auto manufacturer's claim. I didn't know that horsepower was being measured in different ways. Seems like we need more industry agreed upon standards so the consumer can make an intelligent choice.
I agree, it would be good to have a standard. I would think that truck manufacturers would welcome it also.....but than, think of the campfire discussions these standards will eliminate....lol

Larry C

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Manufacturers standardized vehicle horsepower and fuel consumption testing years ago. I welcome standardized towing specifications and test methods. Some pick up enthusiast's magazines conduct towing competitions with different brand trucks, same axle ratio, same body style, same road, same loaded trailer. They measure fuel used and speed up a steep, long grade. I give some credence to these articles. My Super Duty doesn't compete so well in these competitions.

But Andy Thompson at CanAm reminds us that people used to tow 34' Airstreams with 185 hp Chevy Caprices. So much of the towing safety is a proper hitch set up, and a independent rear suspension on the tow vehicle. So my one ton diesel is a gross overkill and may not be the best for my Airstream. And it certainly isn't the most economical means of traveling. (But I like it!)

David
Old 07-13-2014, 06:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
This ought to start a couple new arguements....I found this article on the internet this morning....check it out, I'm sure the fun will begin...

Why Your Pickup Truck?s Tow Rating is BS » AutoGuide.com News

Larry C
Thanks for linking this article.

The quotes from the manufacturers just go to show that it's all about the marketing; they don't want to commit to standard if it looks like it might lower those all important ratings and impact sales.

"Ultimately it boils down to bragging rights and whose pickup has the burliest numbers, something no manufacturer wants to yield to the competition"

I can offer no proof but by the same token, manufacturers are going to depress tow ratings on smaller and less profitable vehicles so that you spend your money in that money-earning truck sector.

"Trucks are big profit generators for automakers. The half-ton and heavy-duty pickup segments are probably the most fiercely competitive categories in the industry. Brands fight tooth and nail for every sale they can make. To move the metal theyre willing to leverage any and every competitive advantage no matter how small"

Still think those ratings are not market driven?

Sure, you can't believe all you read but once again, sources are named in this piece so it has to have some validity.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
This towing capacity thing keeps coming up, and personally I think the weight ratings, horsepower, torque, and gear ratios are more important than towing capacity ratings.

I guess we all keep discussing it because first, we like to drive, and are basically automotive enthusiasts. If we didn't like to drive, we wouldn't even have vehicles, much less trailers. I'm certain the arguments will never end.

But, I know my truck can beat up your truck!
Old 07-14-2014, 01:55 PM   #7
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Yeah, tow ratings are over hyped big time. As has been discussed and discovered by many. Like being told your Ecoboost can tow 11,000lbs and then discovering your door sticker says Cargo & Passengers cannot exceed 998lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
This towing capacity thing keeps coming up, and personally I think the weight ratings, horsepower, torque, and gear ratios are more important than towing capacity ratings.
To some degree. My Pontiac G8 GXP makes 415hp and 409ft/lb torque and has a 3.92 rear end ratio, doesn't make it suited for towing

J2807 standard will help things for sure, but I am sure the marketing people will continue to find ways to confuse the public. Especially in the half ton market, where things like payload can cut away at what you can actually tow pretty quickly.

I've personally felt that Tow Rating has been as buffudled on purpose like megapixels on cameras and mhz on computer processors.