Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2008, 04:36 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Stanadyne Diesel Additive Products

I usually add a dose of Performance Formula in my tanks at each fill. I don't always use Stanadyne but always use some additive in the fuel. Lately, I've tried the Standyne Lube Formula and think I'll mix it with the Proformance formula for a little extra lube for the fuel system. Has anyone found a good place to buy these products with low prices and reasonable shipping costs? When I buy local I have to drive miles to the place then they charge sales tax on top. Any internet companies that you guys(and gals) use to buy these type of products that you can reccommend?
Thanks in advance.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I used to buy it in 5 gallon cans from Gomer's in Missoula Mt. with free shipping. However I think the tree huggers have had it declared hazardous and the shipping has gone out through the roof.

Call Stanadyne and ask for a locol distributer.

I now get it by the case locally in 2 quart bottles at the 5 gallon price.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
_

. , .
hi dooley

s-dyne is GOOD stuff!

there are several threads on this companies products and links to vendors...

just search the 's' word.

my local indie' diesel shop sells it at a great price which is less than online, even with 7% sales tax...

the online vendors are all about the same price (+shipping) and easy to locate...

here's one i'd buy from online BECAUSE he offers such great powerstroke advice online, for FREE.

dieselmann's Store

for ADDED lubrication, (beyond the performance forumula) i've started adding 1/2-1 gallon of biod-30 per 35 gal fill.

as 2 if it matters, who really knows?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
HowieE,
I placed my order with Gomer's (US Diesel) for a case of the stuff. They beat my local price by $14.00 and that is even with me paying freight. That is awesome!
I was getting ripped off by my local distributer. They have seen the last of me and my money.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:05 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
As much as these machines cost, what's another few dollars? The worst it can do is not help.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
I purchase Stanadyne from Midwest Fuel Injection, in the Chicago area. Good prices and fast service.

I have always ran either Stanadyne of Powerservice (Walmart has it and when I run short on Stanadyne I have used it.), but in the current truck I have only used Stanadyne.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Stanadyn I was always told was used when good quality fuel wasnt available. It keeps the injectors from gumming up.

I wonder with low sulphur fuel or winter blend.. it has less parfin in it so it wont gel.

It always sucks when wal mart gets there hands on a good product. They order it at cheaper than dirt prices the consumer saves initially then the quality goes away. Just like Remington Fire arms. The same holds true for Winchester ammo.

In subzero Temps I always used Polar Power. It is available in better auto parts stores and truck stops.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
I buy it on Amazon and usually get free shipping when I buy the case.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
for ADDED lubrication, (beyond the performance forumula) i've started adding 1/2-1 gallon of biod-30 per 35 gal fill.

cheers
2air'
Hello 2air,
That's probably a better idea for extra lube, using some biodiesel mixed in the tank as it tends to clean the entire system too. And the price is right in comparison to special lubes in addition to the proformance formula.
Your right, who knows if any of this matters.
I've tried the lube formula in a couple of tank fulls and seem to notice a difference and the engine seemed quieter. But it just might have been wishful thinking and I imagined it all. But, "who really knows".
Old 09-14-2008, 12:59 PM   #10
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooley View Post
...I've tried the lube formula in a couple of tank fulls and seem to notice a difference and the engine seemed quieter...
hi dooley...

i'm convinced the s-dyne products work and are superior to most other additives, based on my own silly testing.

and i think it is cost effective until diesel fuel drops to about 2.50$ again...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/show...5&postcount=62

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ves-20811.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...sel-28760.html

BUT whenever there are snake oil discussions online, ya gotta wear hip waders and watch were ya step...

whlle ford only 'approves' 5% biod, i have used several FULL tanks of b30 without issues.

i'm pretty sure adding a fraction of a gallon is safe, but don't know IF it helps or not.

an important issue when using biod is fuel filter changing intervals.

most recommendations are to change them MORE OFTEN if using the occasional FULL tank of biod.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote