Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2007, 09:11 AM   #1
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
speaking of tranny noises...

and it appears that Terry is taking questions today...

rhythmic ticking noise coming from somewhere "under there"...typically only audible when parking against a wall or something...like going through the drive-thru, and the sound echos back to the driver. (can't hear it when driving down the road, from inside the truck).
sounds like a pulley or (to me) vaguely like the sound of a bad u-joint bearing.
"tick-a-tick-a-tick-a-tick-a...." changes w/ engine rpm. Sound occurs in any gear, including N...but goes away in P.
(well...not completely...but the volume goes way down. you have to be outside the truck (someone else doing the shifting), really listening hard to hear the noise when its in P...but it is there).

Truck seems to shift and drive normally. fluid level is fine.

local mechanic that I use for most things said "tranny problem", and they didn't want to get involved. said "take it to a tranny shop". there aren't many around...at least not that are "convenient" to me.

so. what is it?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:52 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Probably the Torque converter. It is out of the loop on a Chrysler trans in park, which is why it doesn't make any, or very little, noise in "P". Does the noise seem to come from the bell housing area?
Also, some Chrysler transmissions have solenoids and relays that actuate when you pull up to a stop sign, you will hear them chatter for a couple of seconds, then stop. This noise is normal, it is part of the operation/ OBD of the transmission.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Chuck, is it the 47RE tranny? Those solenoids are activated via an electrical cable that plugs into the drivers side of the tranny. It's accessible from under the truck while it's on the ground, at least it is with my 4WD. If you leave the engine running with the tranny in N, and then detach the cable by pulling out the plug, then if the noise stops, it's your solenoids chattering. That's what happens with my truck. It hasn't caused any problem. The plug may require the removal or moving of a plastic locking clip. I can't remember, and I'm 5.5k miles from my truck.
To mention the obvious, I've had similar noises from a drive belt breaking up, and a piece of split belt flicking against the engine.
Nick.
On edit: there is another electrical cable nearer the tail of the tranny. This is for the speed sensor, IIRC.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
On edit: there is another electrical cable nearer the tail of the tranny. This is for the speed sensor, IIRC.
That one is the output speed sensor, there should be one near the front that is called the turbine speed sensor.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:38 AM   #5
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Trans noises are where nightmares originate...

Theres no getting out and fixing a trans.
Either they work, or your stuck.
No nursing it back.
I panic and lose all hope of survival at the first slip.
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:52 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu
Trans noises are where nightmares originate...

Theres no getting out and fixing a trans.
Either they work, or your stuck.
No nursing it back.
I panic and lose all hope of survival at the first slip.
I was able to nurse my Dakota almost 20 miles with the transmission seriously broken, it wasn't fun. Oh, and to add to Chuck's joy, it was the same transmission as his Ram has...
Old 05-01-2007, 12:03 PM   #7
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
It does seem to be eminating from the bell housing area.

it does not appear to be "momentary". as long as I'm sitting there next to a wall (or some other sound-reflecting object...like my airstream, for example), the sound is there.

so...torque converter...bad thing? expen$ive thing? broken?...about to be broken? or just "noisy"?

not sure of the tranny model #...but it is a 1/2 ton 4x4...model year '00.

I haven't noticed any sound when coming to a stop. Like I said before, I can really only hear the sound when up against a wall, with the window open.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:55 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
It does seem to be eminating from the bell housing area.

so...torque converter...bad thing? expen$ive thing? broken?...about to be broken? or just "noisy"?

not sure of the tranny model #...but it is a 1/2 ton 4x4...model year '00.
You should have the 518 transmission. I just got off the phone with my torque converter shop, and a reman HD one is $139 plus about $25 UPS to your door. Standard duty is $99 and Super Duty is $349. The HD is what I put in my Dakota, and should be more than enough for you. If you want to Super Duty, I know it is a good converter, I designed it...
Old 05-01-2007, 03:18 PM   #9
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
are you suggesting that:

a: I need a new one

b: I should install it myself???

both?
Old 05-01-2007, 03:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Chuck , don't know how far from you but there is a good shop in Manchester NH . Russel Automaotive , on Willow St , a mile or 2 from the mall heading toward town . They specialize in Allison but do all kinds , trucks ,busses and MH . It would pay to have someone knowledgeable take a listen . Good luck
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:26 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
rhythmic ticking noise coming from somewhere "under there"...
Because it is doing it in park, it rules out drive train issues. I'm leaning toward thinking it is related to one (or more) of three things: transmission, tourque converter or cracked flywheel.

There is a lot of labor related to fixing all three issues. I would recommend you take it to a transmission shop for further diagnosis. They typically specialize in all three of those areas.

Good luck.
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:32 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
are you suggesting that:

a: I need a new one

b: I should install it myself???

both?
How mechanically inclined/declined are you?
I would go to a couple of trans shops and let them listen, if both of them concur you need a torque converter, and you have the equipment, it's a pretty straightforward install. Unplug the electrical connections, unbolt the driveshafts, take off the cooling lines, remove the mechanical connections, support the transmission/transfer case, remove the mount, unbolt the torwue converter, unbolt the bell housing bolts, lower the transmission, remove the torque converter. Installation is the reverse of removal.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:24 AM   #13
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
How mechanically inclined/declined are you?
not THAT inclined...

So are you saying that this noise indicates that failure is imminent, and I'm gonna be stuck on the side of the road somewhere?