Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2009, 06:34 AM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I'd want more motor than a 5.3. And, a limited-slip rear axle plus towing package (HD engine cooling, trans cooler [I would add P/S cooler and filters to both that and A/T]); a Suburban with 6.0 was what the PO of my trailer used, and, were I to replace my truck, it's what I'd look for to pull my 8000#-GVWR coach.

As to sloppy handling, a truck is ALWAYS a poor-handling vehicle. Anyone who drives them like a car is being foolish. A good upgrade is to replace the anti-roll bar bushings with polyurethane, and to replace shock absorbers with either KONI or BILSTEIN. You can also look at steering stabilizers (if they'll fit), I like the way the retrofits I've done have helped with dead-on-center steering (also, alignment can be checked on return-to-center; and the brave can adjust the play in the steering box).

The low speed ride can suffer a little, but the highway driving is much better. GM tunes their suspensions too softly, and for towing this should be improved. Get the best tires as well, it's about impossible to beat MICHELIN. My sisters Sub is now on it's second set of LTX M/S at 180,000 miles with plenty to go, and my DODGE truck didn't get new ones (LTX A/S) until 120,000 miles.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:44 AM   #22

1977 31' Sovereign
Westlake , Louisiana
Have you considered an f-250 diesel with a crew cab? I have 2001 that is also 4x4. It'll tow anything. It pulls the old 31' soveriegn I have like little red wagon. I catch myself looking in the rearview mirror at times to make sure it's still attached. Being the father of seven boys I had to buy a suburban to tote them with the wife and I. The suburban's lower gas milage caused me to cringe many times as I filled her up and was much less when towing. The diesel's milage remained basically the same and has towing capacity left over. The lower gears in the truck helped a whole lot descending the steep grades of the mountain ranges during a cross country vacation, beginning in Louisiana and ending on the beautiful Oregon coast. Very seldom did I have to touch the brakes to maintain a constant speed going downhill. Compaing the two vehicles to one another is akin comparing apples to oranges. I'll recommend the truck to anyone. The truck's large cab seats six adults in comfort, for long periods of time.
Bayou Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:50 AM   #23
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Hey Folks, yes many of us like HD trucks...but keep in mind; the OP's AS weighs in at 4600#...a stock 1/2 ton Suburban, with 3:73 or 4:10's, is a perfect match for this.

Bill
Old 02-15-2009, 07:07 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
You might also take a look at Ford Excursions - the selling price of them has fallen way below their true value (IMHO). You don't need to go for diesel either - the V10 gas engines tow really well.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:00 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I'm with BillTex. I think the 5.3 is plenty for a 4600 pound coach. Now, I don't know Laura, but it doesn't sound like she needs to pull her coach at 65+ mph over 10%+ grades. A solid 1/2 Chevy Suburban should be a very competent tow vehicle for routine conditions.

As for truck handling, I've driven pickups from every decade between the 50s and today. My Titan handles quite a bit better than some of the old beasts I've driven that lacked IFS, had power steering by "arm strong", etc. Today's pickup drivers are spoiled compared to the days of old.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:10 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Thank you all for the information. I love reading the various options for me and want to make a wise choice with my purchase. I phoned my dealer neighbor and gave him an idea of what I am wanting now and he will be checking the auction Monday & Tuesday. I have not weighed my trailer as I haven't wanted to venture onto the interstate with the set-up that I now have.... and my hope with my new TV is to be able to use the interstate without concern for safety. And yes, my intents are still to remain in the state and travel mostly within a 150-200 mile radius of my home on a monthly basis. Because of several reasons, this will need to be my sole vehicle and I need to have the interior space afforded by a SUV (vs open truck).

Hopefully I have a few choices by mid week. Though my father did find a 2005 diesel Excursion.... but I really do feel that it is too big a vehicle for me. Lots of stuff that I truly don't need and the price is still out of my intended range.
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:49 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
atlanta , Georgia
Hey Laura,

All the information can be daunting at first - you'll assimilate faster then you think. I have had 2 3/4 ton suburbans and now tow with an f350 crew - (only b/c I am doing a vegiie oil conversion) - The car like properties of the suburban are actually quite nice, the interior space is also outstanding and specifically to your point, the towing safety and security is great. One option you may consider is getting a used 2500 (3/4 ton) and keeping your Xterra - you can find them in good condition for less than $3K.

Also - you can tell a lot by looking at a car and going through various checklists, but you can get a good sense of the life a car has had by making an assessment of the owner. Think about it for a minute and you can geta sense of the validity of that statement.
nunya001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:27 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
what do you think of this vehicle?

After reading all the (combined) advice, I was looking for a 2000-2003 truck. But, I happened to come across this - 1999 Suburban, 120K miles and just under $5000. It seems like it might be a good vehicle.

I would really appreciate any input you might have on my *find*. It's about a 2 hour drive (one way) to it .... I did call to confirm it has a factory tow package and three other of my wants: bench style second row seating, leather (tired of trying to clean pet hair/accidents from fabric), and barn-style rear doors!!!

Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com

Thanks for any advise you might have on this truck! Laura
Old 02-19-2009, 01:57 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I never think it's a good sign when they take pictures of used cars with aftermarket seat covers on the front seats.

I would be patient and wait (or find) a 2000-2003 Suburban. You'll pay more, but it's a nicer truck overall. Maybe something like this for $8900 - 2002, 98k, 2wd Suburban with leather.

Or maybe a 2003+ Ford Expedition with the 5.4-liter like this one for $9200. The Expedition is a bit smaller than a Suburban, but a bit larger than a Tahoe/Yukon (non-XL.) They're heavy though, which hurts acceleration and fuel economy (even more than the norm for this class of SUV.)

One more thought: a Toyota Sequoia. It's down on power compared to the larger V8 SUVs discussed here, but it does have standard stability control and side curtain airbags. Size-wise, it's comparable to the Tahoe/Yukon, so it will give you a larger tow vehicle than the Xterra. Max tow capacity is 6200 lbs.
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:06 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Thanks Mutcth... I called about the seats and was told that both the drive & passenger bottoms are worn. He was excited to tell me that it has new Goodyear Fortera tires. ???

I was interested mostly because it held all of my wants ... and for a unbelievable price. I am trying so hard not to go overboard. I have always enjoyed a nice ride - but with my new intents to quit my corporate job I am trying to put things in perspective.

Thanks for your input Mutcth - I will give it some heavy consideration.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:28 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Forteras are quite good tires - expensive too. Regardless of my preference for something newer, you probably should go try it out, if only to confirm or disavow that it's something that suits all of your needs.

Given that you're selling the Xterra,that balance of having a "nice" vehicle vs the budget is something you'll have to sort out. Going too far in one direction or another can cause regret. Also, without that corporate job, you'll have to make sure you budget for repairs for a truck with 100k on it - bills you don't have with your newer Nissan.

My advice: go drive some SUVs! Figure out a list of contenders and try them out. Try this 99. Try a newer one. Try a Ford. Look at a Sequoia. You don't really want to buy based on driving only one SUV anyway (even though, yeah, that's a lot less hassle.)

One other thing: looking on Craigslist and cars.com as well as Autotrader, there are A LOT of 99 Suburbans/Yukon XLs out there. Patience is no fun, but it can pay off when shopping for a used truck.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #32
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
I was interested mostly because it held all of my wants ... and for a unbelievable price. I am trying so hard not to go overboard. I have always enjoyed a nice ride - but with my new intents to quit my corporate job I am trying to put things in perspective.

Thanks for your input Mutcth - I will give it some heavy consideration.

There is some truth to - you get what you pay for. And going underboard can be a concern also.

The unbelieveable price isn't really so in my opinion. Considering it is a 10 year old vehicle with 120,000 on the clock. Been driven 12k a year on average. This is about norm. If the typical service life is to 150,000 you only have 30K left. Could it get to 200,000???? Sure and what will need to be replaced to make it there? I bet more than the seat bottoms.

If you are looking for a TV that will be used as a TV mostly and may be some other hauling for less than 3 to 5 thousand miles a year. This may be a good choice. It means this unit could go for another 6 to 10 years.

If you are looking for a combo TV and daily driver, this choice may need replacement in just a couple of years.

This vehicle has already seen the best years of it's life. Not that it doesn't have more life, just it's service life is better than half over in my non-professional opinon. So if you are using it for a daily driver you may be back at this same decision place of finding a replacement TV/daily driver in short order.

You might just be getting what you paid for it.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-19-2009, 10:43 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
sorting through used truck advertisements

Greetings Funkill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
After reading all the (combined) advice, I was looking for a 2000-2003 truck. But, I happened to come across this - 1999 Suburban, 120K miles and just under $5000. It seems like it might be a good vehicle.

I would really appreciate any input you might have on my *find*. It's about a 2 hour drive (one way) to it .... I did call to confirm it has a factory tow package and three other of my wants: bench style second row seating, leather (tired of trying to clean pet hair/accidents from fabric), and barn-style rear doors!!!

Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com

Thanks for any advise you might have on this truck! Laura
The seat covers on the front buckets really worry me. My '99 GMC Suburban has the same interior package and mine show VERY LITTLE wear at 200,000 miles. I can think of only two or three things that could cause the seats to wear that much -- failure to clean and condition the leather on a regular basis (mine has been cleaned and conditioned twice annually since new), stored outside in direct sunlight without protective shields in the front window, very rough usage, or something is fishy with the reported mileage.

I am accustomed to driving a vehicle until the vehicle isn't worth repairing. At 200,000 miles, my Suburban has actually required comparatively little in the way of repairs -- the difference is that mine is a 7400 VORTEC and the 1500 would have the 5700 VORTEC -- my Suburban has required the following:
  • New timing gear and chain set at 175,000 miles
  • New water pump at 155,000 miles
  • New fuel pump at 167,000 miles
  • New main bearing seal at 170,000 miles
  • New oil pan gasket at 170,000 miles
  • New steering control arm at 150,000 miles
  • New heater core at 135,000 miles
  • New electronic control board for transmission at 180,000 miles
Quite honestly, the list looks long, but when spread over my nearly 11 years of ownership (delivered on April 21, 1998) the expenses are quite low. When compared to the payments on a new Suburban with the same equipment, I couldn't justify trading in a Suburban that still looks like new and had been comparatively trouble-free if the four wheel drive system's isn't considered.

The mileage as indicated in the advertisement wouldn't concern me other than the condition of the upholstery on the front seats raises a question as to the odometers accuracy -- there should be a notice clearly posted in the vehicle (I believe on the driver's door jamb) if the odometer was repaced with one resulting in a discrepancy of odometer reading vs. actual mileage -- I know that my Jeep Grand Wagoneer had a tag affixed to the door post indicating the odometer reading on the failed odometer and the reading on the (used) replacement odometer that had been installed.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

P.S.: In looking through the photos of the Suburban again, I notices something else that may indicate some rather rough useage -- the radio volume/tuning button is broken/missing, and the push button immediately below it is missing entirely. Not necessarily a deal breaker by itself but raises more concert about the care that the vehicle may have received.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:12 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Thanks again mutcth, action & overlander. After reading these forums daily for the past 6 months or so, I realize there are a lot of questions about TV - loads of us looking for assistance. I appreciate you taking the time to give me your thoughts. This is valuable information that I have few other resources to acquire. I have written up a list of *highly desirable items* and will have faith that, with time & patience, I will find them. As said, I've always enjoyed a nice ride (course my opinion of nice has changed over the years) and I was really thinking extreme when considering vehicles under 5K.
I'll start looking at vehicles in the 2002-04 range with mileage < 100K, < $10,000 and with factory installed tow package - and generally clean. I've narrowed my search to tahoe/yukon & suburban because I want the barn-style rear doors (easy loading my greyhound, etc), leather and second row bench seat (both more dog-friendly). I almost included the excursion, but the info that I've read isn't all that compelling. If I can get the time tomorrow, I may run over to Orlando to look at the 2002 suburban that's almost identical to the one linked above by mutcth... http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true
Now I have a more clear idea of what to look for and the items that are fairly important to me.
Laura
Old 02-20-2009, 07:43 AM   #35
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
The worn items in the older one may mean it just has not been cared for.

I bought my TV with 113,000 miles on it in 1997. It has 161,000 on it now. I have put 48,000 in 11 years. Or basically I use it for a TV only. It sees pretty EZ life in my hands and was in good condition when I bought it. My wife and I use other cars for daily drivers. And I have 2 classic rides that get out every now and then. So the TV just does towing or when I have over 5 to ride.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-20-2009, 08:58 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
That sticker, that is in the glove box, has all the build-code/options, that are on the vehicle; for example:
G 80= locking rear end
GT 4= 3.73 ratio gears
GT 5= 4.10 " "

Above, is for Chev/GMC, thru 2002, in Sub/Tahoe line.
rangebowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:23 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Seems the original Suburban from cars.com in Orlando is already sold. But, I did try Craigslist and found this 03 Suburban... it has everything that I want, except leather upholstery. Any comments?

2003 Suburban, Average Miles, VERY CLEAN, 15 inch TV/DVD, 9 x Seats
Old 02-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #38
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
This statement is wild!

"Prices of large suv's going up every week so take advantage of my good fortune and make me a sensible offer."

Prices going up and sensible offer..........ahhh he needs to check in with reality. Vehicles go down in value (deppreciate) from new until about 25 years old. At that time if it has public interest and the value could go up. Price of fuel is climbing so TVs will be less and less in favor as peeps cut back on spending.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-20-2009, 11:12 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Try oodle.com as well - found this one with annoyingly few pictures...

One other thing - you can tell if a 03-06 Suburban/Yukon has stability control by seeing a little button on the right side of the dashboard center stack, to the right of the climate controls. The button has a car with squiggles (a technical term) behind it; that button shuts it off.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
This statement is wild!

"Prices of large suv's going up every week so take advantage of my good fortune and make me a sensible offer."
>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

I found that a little silly too! And shouldn't it be "take advantage of my bad fortune"? If he has to sell due to economic reasons!
I'm riding over to the Silver Spurs Rodeo on Sunday though and will probably check it out.

Thanks for the info on the stability control button. I think I can ID a squiggle